Luau

casperbks

I think you mean 'the best place in Hawaii'.

That would be the Island of Maui ... the Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele - both are excellent. They are in the town of Lahaina. They start around 5 p.m. and end close to 9 p.m. We've been to both in recent years, but I'm not sure what the current cost is ... between $100-$120 I think, but it will be on their websites.

Enjoy :)

We weren't able to do a luau in Maui due to the timing and travel logistics.

We went to the Chief's Luau in Sea Life Park, near Waikiki. It was very small and personal. The Chief was hilarious and the food and drinks were good. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a luau on Oahu.

Where is the best place in the Island to do a Laua?? and the time and cost please and thank you,,,, I have dreamed of a Laua since I saw Blue Hawaii.... :confused:

There are several islands in Hawaii. Usually the cruiselines will visit ports on Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island (Hawaii). You can google "luau" and "Hawaii" and find many listed. But you'll have to find ones that fit in your time frame. There are also many excellent guide books about Hawaii.

That would be the Island of Maui ... the Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele - both are excellent. They are in the town of Lahaina. They start around 5 p.m. and end close to 9 p.m. We've been to both in recent years, but I'm not sure what the current cost is ... between $100-$120 I think, but it will be on their websites.

I agree that these are the best options & travel experts also rate the OLL ($105) as the best luau in Hawaii. Feast at Lele ($120) is a Polynesian dinner show featuring 4 cultures but isn't typical luau food but is excellent. They're operated by the same people & both are great,

The problem is that most ships arriving in Lahaina leave too early & even though NCL stays overnight it's at Kahului about 45 minutes away. About 30 minutes away from Kahului in Wailea there are luaus on some nights but I don't think they are as good as the OLL or FAL.

I disagree with the Maui luaus. I don't want a big theatrical show, I want more of an original Hawaiian luau. A luau is really a big feast celebration usually on the beach or even someone's back yard.

I've attended Paradise Cove, Germaine's Luau, Polynesian Cultural Center luau on Oahu; Smith's luau on Kauai, and two on Maui.

I'd plan a couple extra days in Honolulu on Oahu and attend my luau there. My choice for best is Paradise Cove luau, they actually have Hawaiian crafts (lei making, poi making, hula lessons, hukilau (net fishing), etc) More of an authentic Hawaiian feel to me. Price starts at $94 and goes up to $161 for Deluxe.

http://paradisecove.com/luau-packages/

Edited by agabbymama

I don't want a big theatrical show, I want more of an original Hawaiian luau. A luau is really a big feast celebration usually on the beach or even someone's back yard.

The Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is often referred to as the most authentic luau in Hawaii. Both the OLL and F@L are on the waterfront and include a big feast.

I disagree with the Maui luaus. I don't want a big theatrical show, I want more of an original Hawaiian luau. A luau is really a big feast celebration usually on the beach or even someone's back yard.

I've attended Paradise Cove, Germaine's Luau, Polynesian Cultural Center luau on Oahu; Smith's luau on Kauai, and two on Maui.

I'd plan a couple extra days in Honolulu on Oahu and attend my luau there. My choice for best is Paradise Cove luau, they actually have Hawaiian crafts (lei making, poi making, hula lessons, hukilau (net fishing), etc) More of an authentic Hawaiian feel to me. Price starts at $94 and goes up to $161 for Deluxe.

It's good to have different opinions & I looked at Trip Advisor for reviews. The two most recent reviews for Paradise Cove are titled "TOURIST TRAP" & "Great luau if you like line-ups and a terrible meal" with both reviewers giving it a 1-star out of 5.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60654-d617345-Reviews-Paradise_Cove_Luau-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Opinions are not always factual & will vary but have never heard of the OLL or Feast at Lele described that way. You posted that you've attended two luaus in Maui but not which luaus...were either the OLL or Feast at Lele? Neither are a "big theatrical show" & both are on to the beach (not on the sand). One disappointment some express about the OLL show is having no fire sword twirlers which is because that's not Hawaiian & their entertainment is only Hawaiian. They even offer low tables with mats to sit on closest to the performance or have regular table seating.

I haven't been to Paradise Cove but other large luaus I've attended had a corny touristy MC & the OLL has local Maui Hawaiian chanters & the Feast's entertainment only said what Polynesian culture was being depicted...neither one had "Tiny Bubbles" or grabbing tourists on stage to hula. That's what large touristy luaus do & that's what many tourists want to see but that isn't what they'd see at the OLL or Feast at Lele.

The Feast at Lele is not the typical "luau" but a journey through Polynesia in food & entertainment also on the beach (not in sand) with a much smaller & intimate setting than most luaus.

It's merely my opinion but I feel much differtly than you & all opinions posted on CC are good for others to consider when they research which is their best luau option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It's good to have different opinions & I looked at Trip Advisor for reviews. The two most recent reviews for Paradise Cove are titled "TOURIST TRAP" & "Great luau if you like line-ups and a terrible meal" with both reviewers giving it a 1-star out of 5.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60654-d617345-Reviews-Paradise_Cove_Luau-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Opinions are not always factual & will vary but have never heard of the OLL or Feast at Lele described that way. You posted that you've attended two luaus in Maui but not which luaus...were either the OLL or Feast at Lele? Neither are a "big theatrical show" & both are on to the beach (not on the sand). One disappointment some express about the OLL show is having no fire sword twirlers which is because that's not Hawaiian & their entertainment is only Hawaiian. They even offer low tables with mats to sit on closest to the performance or have regular table seating.

I haven't been to Paradise Cove but other large luaus I've attended had a corny touristy MC & the OLL has local Maui Hawaiian chanters & the Feast's entertainment only said what Polynesian culture was being depicted...neither one had "Tiny Bubbles" or grabbing tourists on stage to hula. That's what large touristy luaus do & that's what many tourists want to see but that isn't what they'd see at the OLL or Feast at Lele.

The Feast at Lele is not the typical "luau" but a journey through Polynesia in food & entertainment also on the beach (not in sand) with a much smaller & intimate setting than most luaus.

It's merely my opinion but I feel much differtly than you & all opinions posted on CC are good for others to consider when they research which is their best luau option.

Your samples are only two of the many reviews listed on Tripadvisor for Paradise Cove Luau. The overall rating is 10 of 22. And yes, it is a bit touristy, but at least it does have the Hawaiian crafts. A lot of the luaus don't.

I did the Old Lahaina Luau and the Royal Hawaiian Luau on Maui. The food is basically the same at all luaus as they are trying to feed a couple hundred people, so yes there will be lines for everything. The buffet is generally the way the luaus serve their food. I would call the Feast at Lele a more upscale dinner event than a luau. Being served an actual sit down dinner is not a luau. The folks that run the Old Lahaina Luau decided to capitalize on the folks that wanted a more sophisticated setting and started the Feast at Lele.

As you say everybody has their likes and dislikes, and a variety of opinions is a good thing. Tripadvisor is a good review website. I usually take the worst reviews and discount them and the best reviews and discount those too. Then go with the rest of the reviews. Now if all reviews were bad, that lets me know not to consider that hotel or activity.

OP, after reading all the reviews, go with your gut, and enjoy whatever you choose. Hawaii is a great destination.

Edited by agabbymama

This is just my humble opinion but, having lived in Hawaii and having attended traditional backyard luaus (the best) and several luaus at different venues in Hawaii, I do not recommend any luau that accommodates hundreds of people and invites men with grass skirts and coconut bras up on the stage to show their talent at learning hula. Save your money and go to a small hotel venue for a cocktail and a free hula performance. Would you pay $100 to go to a backyard barbecue with mediocre food? $100 pp will buy you a REALLY nice dinner at any of the wonderful restaurants in Hawaii.

This is just my humble opinion but, having lived in Hawaii and having attended traditional backyard luaus (the best) and several luaus at different venues in Hawaii, I do not recommend any luau that accommodates hundreds of people and invites men with grass skirts and coconut bras up on the stage to show their talent at learning hula. Save your money and go to a small hotel venue for a cocktail and a free hula performance. Would you pay $100 to go to a backyard barbecue with mediocre food? $100 pp will buy you a REALLY nice dinner at any of the wonderful restaurants in Hawaii.

Are there any particular hotels that you'd recommend? Any advise &/or suggestion would be appreciated.

I am so glad to see this advice coming from someone who has lived in Hawaii. I wanted to say the same thing, but what do I know? We attended a luau on our first trip to Hawaii and now have no real desire to ever see another, although the Feast at LeLe sounds tempting. But I do not understand those who have been to 5 or 6 luau's. The islands have so many wonderful restaurants in the most magical settings you will ever see! For about the same price, I would much prefer a meal with a view of the Na Pali Coast, an ocean view, or a view down the slopes of Haleakala.

I agee...Old Lahaina !!

Hey Carolyn,

We will be in Honolulu for 3 days and then taking the cruise. I wanted to attend a Luau. It's our 20th anniversary and HI has always been a place we wanted to go. I really want to make it special; I am doing all of the planning. :O Could you give some specific rec's for the kind of evening you are talking about. I did read one reviewer describe a wonderful night like that at House without a key. Any others you could rec would be great! TIA

Hey Carolyn,

We will be in Honolulu for 3 days and then taking the cruise. I wanted to attend a Luau. It's our 20th anniversary and HI has always been a place we wanted to go. I really want to make it special; I am doing all of the planning. :O Could you give some specific rec's for the kind of evening you are talking about. I did read one reviewer describe a wonderful night like that at House without a key. Any others you could rec would be great! TIA

And this is just my humble opinion. You could go to a really nice restaurant at home for $100 too, but you are in Hawaii! A luau is a big celebration/party. Hawaiians have them for weddings, births, birthdays, etc.

While the commercial ones do tend to be touristy, I think for your 20th Anniversary a BIG Celebration is in order.

It really is only up to you, how you want to celebrate the occasion.

My choice for best is Paradise Cove luau, they actually have Hawaiian crafts (lei making, poi making, hula lessons, hukilau (net fishing), etc) More of an authentic Hawaiian feel to me. Price starts at $94 and goes up to $161 for Deluxe.

Our first cruise to Hawaii coming up and from all the research I've done (a lot) Paradise Cove is our choice. Will come back and post a review, but watch some YouTube of it yourself. I especially liked the option of the Hukilau which you don't get at other places because some of these are inland not even on the ocean.

If you want a good theatrical production, we are doing the Uleluna in the Maui Theater's Ulalena...you should YouTube that also. It was rated #1 activity in Maui. Tells the history of the islands in song and dance.

My brother in law lives in Honolulu and he recommende the Cove or Germaines at least for Oahu. He has been to multiple luaus on all the islands. He did like Old Lahaina. Once he went, he now loves them and likes to see many. By the way the trip advisor average for the Cove is 4 stars out of 5 with it rating #18 out of 98 listed.

Edited by BecciBoo

I hear a lot of people complaining about the food at various Luaus.

If you really want authentic Hawaiian, prepare yourself.....dog was the number one delicacy in the Old Hawaii, along with many different seaweeds, the pig meat, taro root(poi), sweet potato, coconut and bread fruit. Only real seasoning was salt which explains why today's Hawaiian eats such salty food. Fish was the main protein.

I don't think people today would eat what they ate back then so for being authentic is over rated as far as food is concerned. Hence the ever present potato salad, Mac & cheese and green salad. Dessert was just coconut made into puddings, remember no sugar either. So dessert at all these luaus is highly westernized as well.

Edited by BecciBoo