Pearl Harbor on debarkation day

Mom2B&Z

I've searched this site and not found an answer, so hoping someone can help me out. DH, myself, our two boys (10&7 yrs) and my parents will be leaving the POA April 4. We will be flying to Kona that day, flight time is still to be determined.

We want to spend the day touring Pearl Harbor and the related areas. I have looked at organized tours, but none leave us at Pearl Harbor for as long as we would like. I know we can store our luggage at the pier until late afternoon for a fee.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to take a taxi from the port to Pearl Harbor, then to the airport? I know we can rent a car for the day, which is the other option, but then parking becomes an issue. Does anyone know an approximate cost of a taxi?

2. I have read that tickets to Pearl Harbor can be reserved online, but the only reservations I can find are to The Arizona, or for a narrated tour that costs $65/adult.

We will only get on chance to do this tour and we don't want to miss it. Going on embarkation day isn't an option as DH, the boys and I will be arriving in Hawaii late Friday night and will be jet lagged. Badly jet lagged lol!

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you can reserve tickets for a specific time for visit to USS Arizona. Go to nps.gov and you can get tickets at $1.50 per ticket. Yes, you could taxi to PH and then back. Your luggage would be the issue. It is at the pier, you need to retrieve luggage, and then get to airport.

I would suggest an after cruise tour which would take you to PH, and then drop you at the airport. The luggage would be on bus with you. It would probably be expensive considering size of your group. Other alternative would be car rental which would probably have to be a van, again expensive.

Going the day after arrival, before embarkation, would be one idea. You will be up early because of time change. Easier that day because you could leave luggage at hotel, return there, and then off to pier for a great cruise"

The simplest thing to do, if it works with your flight time, would be to book the tour offered by the ship for debarkation day. It is 7 1/2 hour long and drops off at the airport if your flight is after 6:00 PM. $89 pp and includes Arizona and Missouri.

Roberts Tours also offers a debarkation day tour for POA passengers from 9:00 to 3:30 for flights leaving after 5:30 for $48. It includes the Arizona, Punchbowl and city tour, but not the Missouri if that is important to you.

I believe this is the same tour we booked on our own and did on Embarkation Day. It is a very early am pickup at your hotel, I think about 6:40. We enjoyed the city tour portion as well. We were back at the hotel by around 1:00 and then took a taxi to the ship.

If you want something other than debark or embark days, check Roberts or other tour operators websites to see what is offered.

Thanks for the replies, the ship tour is just too expensive and too short for us. I have a call into Roberts to see if they can do something for us.

Does anyone have experience getting on-call tickets on disembarkation from POA? If it's reasonable I'd rent a car and just do this on our own. We are gold latitudes so can disembark quickly.

I've searched this site and not found an answer' date=' so hoping someone can help me out. DH, myself, our two boys (10&7 yrs) and my parents will be leaving the POA April 4. We will be flying to Kona that day, flight time is still to be determined.

We want to spend the day touring Pearl Harbor and the related areas. I have looked at organized tours, but none leave us at Pearl Harbor for as long as we would like. I know we can store our luggage at the pier until late afternoon for a fee.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to take a taxi from the port to Pearl Harbor, then to the airport? I know we can rent a car for the day, which is the other option, but then parking becomes an issue. Does anyone know an approximate cost of a taxi?

2. I have read that tickets to Pearl Harbor can be reserved online, but the only reservations I can find are to The Arizona, or for a narrated tour that costs $65/adult.

We will only get on chance to do this tour and we don't want to miss it. Going on embarkation day isn't an option as DH, the boys and I will be arriving in Hawaii late Friday night and will be jet lagged. Badly jet lagged lol!

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

When is your Kona flight likely to be?

Actually best would be a rental car and the ability to keep your luggage with you. Otherwise you are going to have to go back and forth to the Aloha Tower.

Reservations you need are for the Arizona Memorial. Book them through the nps.gov web site.

Not sure what your "parking" concern is about with Pearl harbor. I've never had any problem with parking there.

Thank you all for the comments, they are very helpful!

Kona flight is to be determined, likely late afternoon or evening. They leave on the hour so I'm not too concerned.

I worry about getting a rental car for the luggage, as it would need to be a van for all 6 of us, leaving our luggage out in the open in a parking lot. I know we can store luggage at the port, but at $5/bag that adds up quickly!

I'm starting to think the ship tour may be best.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for the comments' date=' they are very helpful!

Kona flight is to be determined, likely late afternoon or evening. They leave on the hour so I'm not too concerned.

I worry about getting a rental car for the luggage, as it would need to be a van for all 6 of us, leaving our luggage out in the open in a parking lot. I know we can store luggage at the port, but at $5/bag that adds up quickly!

I'm starting to think the ship tour may be best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

A couple of points.

Parking at Pearl harbor is easy, but as you say it is not wise to leave things visible in the car.

How long do you think it will take? The ship tour is plenty long enough, you will be worn out after that.

As I recall there are three main things to see at Pearl Harbor

The memorial and it's museum.

The submarine

The USS Missouri

Of these three the Missouri takes the longest and it can easily be done in 2 hours or so.

Just remember that almost everything in Hawaii is expensive because it is all imported.