Radisson vs Cunard

Jeanne S

Having only previously sailed on Cunard and HAL as the top end of my sailing experience, I did not really understand those who posted here that QM2 failed to live up to their expectations, comparing it to Crystal and other luxury ships. I was always generally pleased and although I did notice a change in the level of service from the old 1st class in the 1970's, I was generally pleased with Cunard and I still love the line.

Yesterday I disembarked from the Radisson Navigator and think that I do understand what people are complaining about. The service on this ship was fabulous and the small ship experience wonderful. We really got to know the cruise director, hotel manager, golf pro, director of cuisine, some of the officers, were invited to the bridge on a sea day with Captain going about his duties and conversed with Commander and the OOD. Even the galley tour was a blast.

The luxury began at embarkation with an effortless check in followed by being greeted by a gentleman in white tie who offered us a glass of Verve Cliquot and it just kept getting better. There were so many small details that were done that made it special. Everything, tips, wine with dinner, in room bar set up, bottled water and all soft drinks stocked daily and complimentary - all this in a balcony suite (301 square feet for room alone) for 7 days (Bermuda) at a price one would pay for the lowest Cat 5 in Caronia Class on QE2 on a six day Bermuda Cruise.

Is this what the service is like on Cunard’s Caronia?

The only thing Cunard does better is afternoon tea. I still am a Cunarder and am slated to sail again in the fall, but Radisson has shown me another dimension in luxury sailing.

Thanks for the comparison Jeanne. Now you understand the difference. I absolutely loved QM2, but I have a problem with Cunard calling itself a "luxury" line. Sure the prices are in line with Silversea, RSSC, and Seabourn ..... but the food, service, and details are not.

My experience on Silversea ran circles around Cunard in terms of software items. It was the most upscale experience I have ever had at sea, not to mention all-inclusive with absolutely no tipping or expenses such as liquor, wine, etc. There was also no art auctions, bingo, nickel and diming, etc. Think Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. The small ship atmosphere was also wonderful.

There is a tradeoff though. For me personally, I enjoy large ships with all the amenities and bells & whistles. QM2 certainly qualifies in this respect, and I think that is why she is #1 in my book. You can find better food and service to be certain, but you would be hard pressed to find another ship like QM2!

Now if only Cunard would call a spade a spade, and stop this nonsense about calling themselves a "luxury line". They are in line with Celebrity and Oceania. I would say "upper-premium". Someday maybe their prices will be more in line with their true category, possibly when the hype dies down?

Ernie

Is the "supply and demand" issue the reason the QM2 is pricy? I'm going again on the 8-day cruise out of NY in March, I'm paying the same for just me, as a coworker is paying for 2 people going on the Carnival Destiny.

J.P.
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;9;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Queen Mary 2 Caribbean 3/9

I believe so JPEvans. As long as people are willing to pay these prices, they will continue to charge them. I wonder what will happen in say two years when everyone is used to the ship and the port of NYC/NJ has expanded with even more competition.

In regularly scheduled crossings, however, they do have a monopoly.

Archived