We Now Have an Opening Date!

BillB48

The Expansion project now 97% complete, the Canal is looking at June 26 as the official opening date. As my old boss used to say... "the only thing left to do is finish.":D

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-22/panama-canal-expansion-seen-open-by-july-after-years-of-setbacks

Edited by BillB48

The Expansion project now 97% complete, the Canal is looking at June 26 as the official opening date. As my old boss used to say... "the only thing left to do is finish.":D

Sorry, Bill, can't resist, but hasn't their official estimate been at 95+% since the middle of last year? Only 4 weeks from finish of work to first passage (except for tests) seems pretty ambitious given their track record. As Yogi said: "it ain't over until its over".

On the canal right now. Even if the facilities are ready, they may have issues raising the lake's water level. It is already below normal, and for the new locks to operate they even need a few additional meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, Bill, can't resist, but hasn't their official estimate been at 95+% since the middle of last year? Only 4 weeks from finish of work to first passage (except for tests) seems pretty ambitious given their track record. As Yogi said: "it ain't over until its over".

You will also note that when all the remedial repairs to the leaking sills were on going, the percentages stayed the same. You have to admit that was quite convenient!;) In all seriousness, it looks like the leaks have been taken care of, at least for the short term... I really think they are in a position where something positive has got to happen and just maybe it will. The articles I have read said they are supposed to start test lockages with a neo Panamax vessel in May. As long as that happens , maybe they can make the date. Or they could always push, pull or somehow drag one through and call it open... then continue on finishing up!

On the canal right now. Even if the facilities are ready, they may have issues raising the lake's water level. It is already below normal, and for the new locks to operate they even need a few additional meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the opening of the expansion will be a benefit for the Canal in regards what appears to be a record breaking low water level for Gatun Lake. The Canal has announced a 6'' draft reduction to 39' beginning in April. This draft limit will be for ships that are using the current locks, (which will be the case until the new locks are open). Even with the low lake levels there will be sufficient water in the channels in Gatun Lake and Gaillard Cut. Where the low water levels present a problem is over the locks sills at the Gatun Lake sills at both Gatun and Pedro Miguel Locks. The expansion locks are designed to accommodate vessels with a draft of 50'... now I do not know what the minimum Gatun Lake elevation must be for ships of that draft, however they will be able to accept ships with a draft greater than the current limit of 39'06'' during this period of low lake levels.

There is a line of thought that there may be a demand from some of the current Panamax vessels that are eligible to pass through the current locks that they may request to use the new expansion locks to take advantage of passage with a deeper draft. So if the rains don't return in sufficient quantities in May, the expansion locks may provide some relief.