Car rental

Able Seaman H

Can you arrange car hire on board ?

We have a couple of overnight ports of call on our impending cruise and I'm in the process of organising car hire but it occurred to me that it might be possible to arrange via the ship and in doing so make collection at the port and hand back easier.

I can arrange delivery to the port myself but obviously don't know exactly where we will be and the finer points logistically.

Henry

Can you arrange car hire on board ?

We have a couple of overnight ports of call on our impending cruise and I'm in the process of organising car hire but it occurred to me that it might be possible to arrange via the ship and in doing so make collection at the port and hand back easier.

I can arrange delivery to the port myself but obviously don't know exactly where we will be and the finer points logistically.

Henry

Yes Henry you can arrange a car on board the ship.

The only problem might be that you will have to do this once on board and so leaving it late in the day to get a suitable vehicle.

I would organise a car and driver once in port.

Just be a bit careful if you're going to drive around SA with your family,looking like tourists although I suppose it's a bit like driving around Slough!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

Henry,

A friend of mine lives in Cape Town and I was speaking to her about car rental/driver etc. as i'll be there next year for a land trip.

Her thing was..

If you can afford a car and driver that will be your best choice. They are not expensive and if you want to stop somewhere the driver can stay with the vehicle.

If you hire ensure you get a low end vehicle. Carjacking is quite common and the GPS does not know the no go areas, so will sometimes divert you if traffic is heavy. In CT itself parking can be challenging. (not quite sure what she meant by that as I decided to go the driver route)

In Cape Town we are actually starting and ending in Stellenbosch. We have a route planned of around 1,000 kms in between !

I'm fairly well prepared in terms of potential local hazards. We will have a pre-populated GPS route all loaded up before we leave the UK and a good deal of local knowledge.

I've done a lot of driving in what might be considered hostile conditions.

H.