Beach near Amber Cove

ellie1145

We are visiting Amber Cove next week on Regal Princess and would like to find a beach with no surf if possible. The Princess beach trip is nearly 5 hours long and we dont want such a long tour.

Can anyone recommend a beach please, and are taxis safe to use?

Many thanks

Costambar beach... 15 minute's away.. take a cab right from port. Very safe. Pay cab driver on way back. They will come back for you at set desired time. Surf will depend on day/wind conditions but... it is protected by reefs so waves usually break up before shore.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I was looking at Costumbar for next month's cruise -- can you give me an idea of how much $$$ the taxi was from the port and back?

Did you have any trouble getting a taxi to take you there? The port seems so geared toward Carnival excursions.

Thanks!

Edited by mplstaylor

It was $40 and there was 4 of us in the cab. Taxis are a non issue there is plenty of them right at the port. Takes 15 minutes to get there. Your cab driver will come back for you at a specific time set. You pay the driver on the return trip. Beach is great... nice choice of beach bars to choose from chairs and umbrellas there for rent.

I always get away from the carnival compounds. The port area is nice but it is best to get out and check out the local areas...

I would say marginal at best... on most days it will be more choppy than calm... would need to be a good swimmer to venture out a bit. I will attach a video of the beach... as you can see.. waves breaking over the reef... I did not see anyone really going out there on the day I went...

http://dronesweep.com/costambar-beach-sunday/

Yep... WAY better than sitting by the pool area... great local vibe.. please post a review when u get back to let more cruisers know about it.... locals would love the business.

Yeah, people need to know what is outside of that port area -- tons of great beaches just a cab ride away!

bgvic24 -

Did you get a taxi inside the port entrance, or did you walk out and get one outside? I've heard all kinds of conflicting reports about price and reputation. Seems like the ones INSIDE the port are all high price, but they have permission to come in from Carnival. OUTSIDE are more taxis that are cheaper, but are they legit?

Thanks in advance!

I git the taxi from inside the port. The prices were fixed. We paid 25 bucks one way to Costambar beach.. which was for 4 passengers. We agreed to pay on the ride back. It was 50 round trip... 4 of us though.. so not that bad... We did not go out port for a cab... but i can say there was alot of cabs waiting out there.... I would not be afraid to walk out and get a cab... u could always walk back in and get one if you didnt like the vibe you were getting outside gate... hope this helps.

It was $40 and there was 4 of us in the cab. Taxis are a non issue there is plenty of them right at the port. Takes 15 minutes to get there. Your cab driver will come back for you at a specific time set. You pay the driver on the return trip. Beach is great... nice choice of beach bars to choose from chairs and umbrellas there for rent.

I always get away from the carnival compounds. The port area is nice but it is best to get out and check out the local areas...

Were there loungers for rent? Beach looks nice. We don't want to sit at the pool area, we want to find a nice beach not to far from the port.

do you know what the cab would be for just 2 of us?

Yep... they had loungers... the beach bars did not charge for them if you were eating and drinking from them.. We were there a year ago... but I doubt anything really changed... Cab prices were a fixed rate... it was 40 dollars US for 1-4 passengers... we gave the driver a 10 dollar tip on the way back... Hope this helps... It was way better than sitting at the port area... drinks were great and inexpensive... Nice thing was that everyone is always so afraid to leave the port.... you get there and you will have the place to yourself....

Were there loungers for rent? Beach looks nice. We don't want to sit at the pool area, we want to find a nice beach not to far from the port.

do you know what the cab would be for just 2 of us?

Too bad we aren't on the same ship -- we would split that taxi with you for sure!

We will be in port via Carnival Glory on Monday, 2/20

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad we aren't on the same ship -- we would split that taxi with you for sure!

We will be in port via Carnival Glory on Monday, 2/20

We will be on the Glory too! The roll call is very slow. Glad to "meet" you! :)

Save

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Sadly we never made it to Amber Cove. Regal Princess encountered very bad weather and rough seas so we missed this port.

On the positive side, it means we will have to try again, so a good excuse to book another their cruise!:D

• 4 weeks later...
Costambar beach... 15 minute's away.. take a cab right from port. Very safe. Pay cab driver on way back. They will come back for you at set desired time. Surf will depend on day/wind conditions but... it is protected by reefs so waves usually break up before shore.

Are there restrooms at this beach?