Zip-Line Recommendations

eric-n-beth

We will be in Roatan next spring and would like to take a run on some zip-lines. We would like to get information from those of you who have done this already.

Which location(s) did you go to?

How long was the ride from the cruise terminal?

Did you book through the cruise line or on you own?

What was the cost?

Was there a lot of hiking?

Is this a good thing for children (5, 9 and 11)?...they are not easily scared and love extreme thrill rides.

What did you like/dislike?

Would you do it again?

Guess that's more than enough. Thanks in advance!!!

Eric

I know the your little ones would not be able to go on the Palmetto Bay zip line, it was an obstical course, bridges, climbing wall & tight rope.

They would be to short to grab hold of the uper wire wo walk across them.

This is interesting to hear since we have booked a van through Victor Bodden and he said that the Palmetto Bay zip-lines are the best option for kids and he had taken a four-year old there just last week.

The bridges are my main concern however, so thank you for the insight.

Eric

This is interesting to hear since we have booked a van through Victor Bodden and he said that the Palmetto Bay zip-lines are the best option for kids and he had taken a four-year old there just last week.

Eric

Here is a picture of us crossing one of the bridges, i don't see how a 4 or 5 year old could reach the wire that must be heald onto.

There is also another even harder crossing, it is a swinging bridge, each step is swinging and you have to grab hold of it with your foot, I am 5'6" and had a hard time reaching each step while holding the wire from above.

We were told no one under 10. I just don't want you to get there and find out your little one has to sit at the viewing area and wait for you.

Click to enlarge.

zip.jpg.7a55877c04149ee96e6bc3f876bb5261.jpg

Eric

I have heard the same, curious to hear if anyone else has anything to add...

I was considering taking our (ages time of cruise) 5, 7 and 13 yr old...

This is what I love about CC. Lots of experiences from which we can all draw information and make informed decisions before we lay out the cash.

Thank you all for you sage advice. We will have to rethink our options in Roatan.

Are there any recommendations for children age 5, 9 and 11?

Eric

I was doing some Google searches and came across an interesting link that gives some information on the different zip line options.

http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/roatan_canopy_tours.html

Please note the age restrictions at the bottom of the comparison chart. I also found the sentence stating "Each canopy tour offer a variety of different zipline lengths and platform stops" interesting...I wonder if this means that they can route smaller children around some of the more challenging obsticals?

If I can find any numbers to call or contacts to e-mail I will see what more information I can gather and post accordingly.

Eric

I was doing some Google searches and came across an interesting link that gives some information on the different zip line options.

http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/roatan_canopy_tours.html

Please note the age restrictions at the bottom of the comparison chart. I also found the sentence stating "Each canopy tour offer a variety of different zipline lengths and platform stops" interesting...I wonder if this means that they can route smaller children around some of the more challenging obsticals?

If I can find any numbers to call or contacts to e-mail I will see what more information I can gather and post accordingly.

Eric

Honestly, i do not remember if any could be bypassed, even the climbing wall was on a platform, the platforms are up in the trees with no ladder going down.

Below are the 2 sights i was referencing from, the first has the height restriction and the second has the age restriction, I just wonder if the guides will be carrying the young children across with them, thats the only way i can see that small of child crossing, the platforms will only hold 3 people at a time and one of them is the guide and it is very tight with 3.

I have also posted a picture of one of the platforms so you can see exactly what they look like.

http://www.roatanonline.com/roatan_jungle_zip_line_canopy_tour.htm

http://www.roatanshoretours.com/#Canopy

Click to enlarge

zip2.jpg.eb3b999df2ae4f58cc15502e47c4b3d4.jpg

OK, I am following up on some more informaiton I gathered last night based upon thelink I posted. As I drilled further down onto the web site and actually clicked on the links associated with the ours they offer the age restrictions jump up to 8 or 10 (depending on the zipline location chosen).

I found this frustrating so I sent the following e-mail to them;

I found your web site through a Google search and was excited to see the Comparison Chart you have put together outlining the different ziplining options.

When I went to get more information on your specific tours, however, I was surprised to see that on the Comparison Chart you list the minimum age at 4 or 5 and on your tours you state that the minimum age to participate is 8 or 10.

Which is correct?

This is the reply I received this morning;

Thanks for mentioning that,

Let me explain what the numbers do not match and I hope this makes sense.

The canopy tours will allow children above 4 or 5 to ride the canopy lines, we personally do not recommend it for children under 10. Though it does depend on the child, they really need to be confident in these kind of activities. This may of been a bad idea to show the information this way, as looking back at it, it is a little confusing.

If you have any more questions on the canopy tours let me know.

Regards

Dean

Roatan Shore Excursions

I know this does not answer the questions but I am waiting on a reply from follow up e-mail I sent...I'll keep you posted but at this point I am thinking the family may just spend the dat at West Bay Beach.

Eric

What I've been told is that they have guides that harness WITH smaller children. Infact, if you scroll down, you can see I posted on smaller children, that is where I got my info.

My original question was is it possible to go and leave DH with the smaller ones at the beach then when he is done, I go and DD13 goes again with me. I received posts saying the little ones could go...

Now I guess I am back to can we swap and go. Is the beach close enough or will we have to skip it all together. Thanks for researching!!!!!!!!! :)

We SIL( mid 30's) and I (48)just did a zipline in August. My 6 yr old neqhew did it with us. He had no problem at all!!! In fact, he chose to do the walking the cable option instead of zipping that link. It was difficult, but still lots of fun. Cost $ 45.00 per adult. Not sure what it was for him. The guide was very helpful. Be sure to wear tennis shoes. The walk down is about 100+ steps and it can be a little steep in spots. SIL used some bug spray, but I didn't. No bites for me.

We used Victor Bodden for the day. Highly reccommend his services.

In regards to the ROATAN JUNGLE CANOPY on the Palmetto road, they have a bypass route, for those persons (and children) not wanting to do the rope bridges.

There are no age restrictions, but you need to realize the extreme nature of the ziplines as parents, and with that knowledge you will know if your child will enjoy the experience or not. Because once you are on, and half way through the course...there is no turning back.

I have personally seen all ages go on the lines....6 year olds...pregnant 30 year olds....one-armed 75 year old grandfathers....and my mother who is deathly afraid of heights (LOL...her grandchildren dared her).

SouthShore canopy, located on West Bay road, is a little easier for those not wanting the fastest and the most challenging (Roatan Jungle Canopy is all that)....

Captain Van,

I have a 5 year-old daredevil, whom our neighbor is SURE is going to be a stuntman when he grows up. He is fearless, so I'm thinking he'll be ok? If we reserve a tour with someone, is there a chance we get there & the park won't let him go on the zipline? Also, do they harness the kiddos to someone, as suggested by another poster, or do they go on their own near their parents? THANKS for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a 40 ish woman and am thinking of doing this with my 16 year old son. I talk big now, but when I'm faced with it, would like to probably do the most easiest ( safest) route possible. Not a Survivor candidate by any means, but would really like to give it a try. Which do you recommend ?

Thanks!

In regards to the ROATAN JUNGLE CANOPY on the Palmetto road, they have a bypass route, for those persons (and children) not wanting to do the rope bridges.

There are no age restrictions, but you need to realize the extreme nature of the ziplines as parents, and with that knowledge you will know if your child will enjoy the experience or not. Because once you are on, and half way through the course...there is no turning back.

I have personally seen all ages go on the lines....6 year olds...pregnant 30 year olds....one-armed 75 year old grandfathers....and my mother who is deathly afraid of heights (LOL...her grandchildren dared her).

SouthShore canopy, located on West Bay road, is a little easier for those not wanting the fastest and the most challenging (Roatan Jungle Canopy is all that)....

I am a 40 ish woman and am thinking of doing this with my 16 year old son. I talk big now, but when I'm faced with it, would like to probably do the most easiest ( safest) route possible. Not a Survivor candidate by any means, but would really like to give it a try. Which do you recommend ?

Thanks!

40 years old? Heck, c'mon....go for it....

These are not as extreme as some make it out..There are so many safety measures, that it's a bigger risk jumping off that back of a parked pickup truck.

There are guides with you all the way, so that no one loses control.

South Shore is the easier of the two (compared to Roatan Jungle Canopy).

But believe me....you can do either one.:)

Thanks!

I am in my 40's and took my daughters 20, 19 & 12 at the time, we went on the Jungle canopy tour and i had a geat time, didn't feel overwhelmed at any point and trust me.....I'm not in perfect physical speciman.

• 2 weeks later...

40 years old? Heck, c'mon....go for it....

These are not as extreme as some make it out..There are so many safety measures, that it's a bigger risk jumping off that back of a parked pickup truck.

There are guides with you all the way, so that no one loses control.

captain,

how far is the jungle canopy from co co view snorkeling area?.. we're trying to fit everything into a short time span :)

So of all the canopy tours in Roatan is the Roatan Jungle Canopy tour the most "extreme?" I'm in the Army and would like the most challenging tour I can face.

This is what I want to know, too. I've seen the website that compares the 3 non-Gumbalimba tours, but not one that compares the Gumbalimba one to the others. How does Gumbalimba rate in comparison? I really would prefer to book with the ship, but if I have to..

BRADFORD79- Roatan Jungle Canopy is the mos challenging....It has 16 platforms...6 rope bridges..and a 1/2 size climbing wall...

The rope bridges and the climbing wall can be bypassed, for those less adventurous.....but HEY!, I say do it all!

Heck, if you have the time, then do 2 different Zip line companies...Make it a day!

HOSTSTAR- CoCoView is past pretty much everything...but it is close to both the Roatan Jungle Canopy, and the Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy (note: I have never used the latter of the 2)..

ANASLILE- I hear Gumbalimba is a good canopy, but it must be booked through the ship. I cannot compare it to the others, as Independents are not allowed to book this tour....:(

• 2 weeks later...

I am 62 and have did the zip lines twice last year and am booked with Victor to do it again with my 14 year old grandson on our December cruise - wish I could get my daughter and wife to participate - saw some small children enjoying the zip lines - two others that were real scared.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Van - I had been pretty much sold on South Shore, but now you have me thinking more... I am not afraid of the challenge... what I want to ensure is some good beach time after the zipline.

I understand South Shore ends at/near a nice beach (I have seen a few pictures). What about Roatan Jungle?

Archived