Which beach to snorkel at for beginner?

butterfly2

We would like to go snorkeling but want to do it going in the water from the beach rather than from a boat. I am a beginner and would like opinions of where to go that would not be difficult to enter or exit the water. I am not a brave soul and not the greatest swimmer so Im on the nervous, apprehensive side.

Thanks!

Since you are a beginner and a poor swimmer, just take your mask and go to 7 Mile Beach...simply walk into the water and stick your face in...you really don't need to swim much at all.

The water is so clear, you barely need a mask...you can stand and see your feet and whatever is around them!

Do not feel you MUST snorkel...I'm not sure why that is such a "must do" for everyone!

However, if you do a snorkel excursion, you will be required to wear a flotation vest (which is not the same as a life vest) to help you stay afloat. If the water is dead calm, you can simply float on the surface and look down. However, if it's rough, even with the vest, this will be exhausting if you aren't a strong swimmer.

Edited by cb at sea

Here are a few suggestions for more specific areas of 7 Mile Beach, to increase the chances of seeing more than just your feet when you look in the water :).

These are areas that I think are good for very beginning snorkelers.

Governor's Beach (just past the Westin): there is a small area of coral not too far from the shore.

Royal Palms: if you walk about 5 minutes to the left (looking at the water) to the Marriott, they placed reef balls in the water, fairly close to the shore. Fish tend to swim around the reef balls.

Public Beach: I am pretty sure that I did some minor snorkeling there years ago, but can't really remember.