Any current news on Rhine and Main water levels?

yogasiddy

Brand new to this board and to river cruises!

We were originally scheduled for a Rhine/Main cruise in August which was canceled due to the low water levels. Now we're supposed to board on Oct. 8 in Nuremberg heading to Amsterdam on Amras ship Amadeus Silver II. Is anyone currently on either of these rivers in this area and can report if all is okay? I keep checking "our" ship's progress on the Danube via vesselfinder.com but don't see any ships at all north of Regensberg. Really hoping we don't get canceled again!

I have a friend who is currently on a Viking on the Rhine. So far he has had smooth sailing. I've been following the Rhine levels closely as my cruise departs this week and it looks pretty bleak. Water levels are on their way down on the Rhine.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the River Cruising forum!

Did you book this cruise direct with Amras, or is this one of the Celebrity Connections cruises?

Hi Jazzbeau,no we are just booked directly with Amras. Our cruise starts with a pre-trip extension in Prague, then hopefully on the ship Oct. 8 in Nuremberg. I assume we'll be joining other cruisers coming from Budapest.

We were on the Main and Rhine a week ago. The Main is fine but the Rhine till has low. There was still lots of traffic on the Rhine however the only challenges they have on the Rhine is the dock because of the low water.

Thanks, we are really hoping for an actual cruise this time. I know we won't get an official word yet so will keep fingers crossed for rain!

Hello yogasiddy,

We were originally scheduled for a Rhine/Main cruise in August which was canceled due to the low water levels. Now we're supposed to board on Oct. 8 in Nuremberg heading to Amsterdam on Amras ship Amadeus Silver II. Is anyone currently on either of these rivers in this area and can report if all is okay? I keep checking "our" ship's progress on the Danube via vesselfinder.com but don't see any ships at all north of Regensberg. Really hoping we don't get canceled again!

I am a little surprised they cancelled as you would have been able to sail probably two-thirds the scheduled distance. I reckon it would have been too much rescheduling or organizing (that dreaded bus trip). In that case it was probably fairer by the cruise company to cancel the trip. The water is higher now, although still shallow, and I am sure you will have a great time.

The ship should reappear when closer to Frankfurt, you could also try marinetraffic.com.

notamermaid

Our original cruise in August was from Amsterdam to Nuremberg. When Amras contacted us via our TA, their ship was not able to get even close to Amsterdam evidently. Our options were to go on a bus tour for the entire trip, or reschedule for one of their October sailings. Luckily we'd booked flights using points and were able to cancel and rebook for very little fees. Amras immediately sent us a check for the difference between the August and October trips. So now we'll cruise the same itinerary but opposite direction, starting in Nuremberg with a pre-trip extension in Prague. Think we probably dodged a bullet given the hot weather in August! Will try to update from the cruise or at least afterwards!

We are currently on the Rhine & Moselle cruise, sailing from Basel to Amsterdam (20th Sept to 3rd Oct). We had smooth sailing throughout, with no water level issues. Weather is nice & all the places are beautiful. Will write a review after the cruise. You will enjoy your cruise.

Hello waytocruise7,

Thank you for the real time update on the water levels and great to hear you are enjoying the scenery. We had a bright red sunset last night and the sun is already shining brightly this morning onto an early autumn Rhine valley.

Yogasiddy, it was very hot in August, indeed. I was glad to get out of here and enjoy the North of England where they said it had been "hot" the week before. They meant 28 degrees while I meant 36 degrees in the Rhine valley. :D

Looking forward to your review, waytocruise7.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Viking Mani Rhine Getaway cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We saw ships from many companies along the way. From what the crew said, Rhine is still sail able for all but it's really Danube and Elbe that have the problems.