Ferry to The Baths at Virgin Gorda

staylor

Host Randy...please leave this up for a short time....the ports of call boards are dead!

Is it easy to get the ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda? Are the ferries large enough that we won't have to worry about being able to get on the last one back....so we don't miss the ship?

Once you get to Virgin Gorda, do you take a cab to the Baths? If so, what can I expect to pay for cabfare?

And lastly, one person in our group walks with a cane....Would the Baths be too difficult for him?

Thanks in advance!:)

And lastly, one person in our group walks with a cane....Would the Baths be too difficult for him?
Highly likely, especially if they wanted to actually walk through the caves/rock formations.

The baths are located at the bottom of a long steep rock stairway which is much harder going up than down but slippery both ways - NOT suitable for someone with a cane.

Sorry, it is definitely a "don't miss" but looks like it's not a good fit for your group, maybe next cruise.

Ferries in BVI don't always run on schedule. They tend to leave when they are ready and can be early or late.

You don't have to go up the same way you went down, nor do you have to crawl through the boulders, but that is main reason for going. There is another path to Devil's Bay Beach.

Some private operators also might ferry you directly to shore or perhaps you can swim in.

And there are places to hang out at the top and not have walk down the stairs but would miss out on the big attraction.

You can read about what we are doing here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=201087

http://www.thebathsbvi.com/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=55426

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=96428

Just got back from the Liberty on 12/18. We didn't do the Baths but a number of people in our group did. After doing much research on the time schedules of the ferries and the time the ship was in port they opted to go with the ship tour. I don't remember all the specifics but I believe it's about a 40 minute ferry ride to the baths.

Everyone enjoyed it but said it was not enough time. Also the waters appeared to be a bit rough on that day.

Sorry I can't offer more than that. Have a great cruise!

Take the Ferry !!!

much cheaper than the ship's tour - and you can stay longer too.

There are competing ferries and they do run on time. I doubt you need to worry about them being full and not getting on

No problem getting a taxi - they are waiting at the dock (the open air safari type vehicles). Can't recall the cost but it was very reasonable and overall much cheaper than the ship tour.

Getting down to the Baths with a cane is doable with some help - but could be a challenge depending on the age, mobility, etc. I had read about how bad the path down was before we went - it really isn't as bad as people make it out. in most places it is very easy going. There are a few tricky trickier spots - but as long as it is not muddy, it can be done. That said, if you feel it would be too much of a challenge, the person w/ the cane could stay at the very nice restaurant / bar at the top of the Baths and kick back, relax and have a few while the rest are at the Baths. there is even a pool at the restaurant they could use.

When we went a few years ago - we got off the ship, walked to the ferry dock (about 10 - 15 minute walk) and took the ferry across, then a cab to the Baths - the ship tour arrived an hour later - and rounded up folks after 60 or 90 minutes to head back. meanwhile we stayed several more hours, caught our taxi back (we had prearranged a return trip with the person who dropped us off) and rode the ferry back and still had time to shop a bit on Tortola

We were in Tortola the year before last and used:

http://www.speedysbvi.com/

They had a package deal which included Roundtrip Ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda, Taxi to the Baths, Taxi pick up from the Baths and a lunch at a local restaurant for only $35.00 per person, and finally taxi back to the ferry docks. Great Deal and the restaurant was right on the beach. Check them out.

Sue

We've taken the ferry ourselves twice.

Most recent was just about 10 days ago! We used Speedy's as he does a price including the taxi. As mentioned before, the taxi driver tells you what time back the ferries are and what time to be up at the car park.

We took the 9am over and the 2.45pm back, and had time to shop.

The trip through the rocks would not be suitable for someone with a stick as you need to crouch down very low (or crawl as I did!). You also need to pull yourself up a rock with the aid of a rope!!

The path isn't too bad, but I guess it would be a different story if it had recently rained. Also if the person with the stick cannot bend knees this could be a problem as there are steps.

Finally, the sand down at the beach is VERY soft and is hard to walk in.

There were quite a few people coming into the beach via little boats, so maybe this is something you could consider. Thos who wished to could still go through the rocks but return to the beach.

Brilliant island.

I hope I don't sound dumb but I don't know what the baths are? I would like something fun and different to do and see. Could you explain what the baths are and where are they? I gather this is on another island off of Tortola? If I understand correctly, the conscensus is not to use a ship's excusion but to use one of the locals.:)

We were in Tortola the year before last and used:

http://www.speedysbvi.com/

They had a package deal which included Roundtrip Ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda, Taxi to the Baths, Taxi pick up from the Baths and a lunch at a local restaurant for only $35.00 per person, and finally taxi back to the ferry docks. Great Deal and the restaurant was right on the beach. Check them out.

Sue

Do we have to call and make a reservation, or can we do that off the ship. Where are they located? Thanks

Tara

I have read that you catch the ferry very close to the ship.....a ten minute walk......no reservations needed...

Reagan~ http://www.b-v-i.com/baths.htm

Here is an email I got from them today....

Hello Sherry

thank you for your interest in speedys.

you will not have any problem returning in tortola in time for the ship.we always have room on our ferry. the 12:30 ferry from virgin gorda will get you back into tortola at 1:00pm which gives you enough time.

We run on schedule. The baths is about 15-20mins by taxi and cost $8.00 round trip per person. the ferry cost $25.00 round trip per person.

Hope this is helpful

If you have any other questions please ask

REgards

• 9 years later...