The Baths of Virgin Gorda ~ Info & MAP

OCruisers

Here is a website with WONDERFUL information on The Baths of Virgin Gorda with a MAP and soooooooooooo much more:

The Baths - Info & MAP

Hope you will find this as helpful as we always have!

We've been lucky enough to have been to Tortola many times and have gone to The Baths both on the various ships' shore excursions and OnYourOwn (while on land trips). Have loved all excursions taken in Tortola and still interested going to the places we've missed.

For THE FIRST TRIP to Tortola ... don't miss The Baths! (The above website is GREAT!)

We'll do our best to help if you have any other questions! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thank you for the link to this website...we've cruised to the Caribbean several times...but this will be our first time for Tortola and am looking forward to going over to Virgin Gorda for 'the Baths'! Is there much to see and do in Tortola itself? Should we be allotting time for Tortola?

You might be seeing more questions from me and I hope that you don't mind.

Happy future sailings to you.

Thank you for the link to this website...we've cruised to the Caribbean several times...but this will be our first time for Tortola and am looking forward to going over to Virgin Gorda for 'the Baths'! Is there much to see and do in Tortola itself? Should we be allotting time for Tortola?

You might be seeing more questions from me and I hope that you don't mind.

Happy future sailings to you.

luv2cruise450 .... Think you'll be very happy with your decision to go to The Baths of Virgin Gorda!

While we have done other things in Tortola, The Baths is our absolute favorite. :cool:

When we go to The Baths, we don't even consider doing anything else in port that day. Naturally, just an opinion, .... BUT we've found that trying to plan to do too much in a port makes us feel "pushed" and we end up not enjoying anything!

Always happy to answer any questions ... and, if we "don't know", we'll say that as well. HOPEFULLY, OTHERS will "pitch in" and help also!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thanks for the great map and information page. My husband & I are going to the Baths next week on our HAL Zuiderdam cruise. Plan to head over there on our own so this will be a great help.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get there on our own? How? and how much does it cost both to get there & to go through the park / baths?

Also we were thinking of meeting up w/ others at Pussers (??) for pain killers. Heard they were a must have. :D Where is that? and how do we get there from the Baths.

Thanks in advance.

Kylie .... Glad you liked the map! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip to The Baths!

trish1c .... Our times "OnOurOwn" from Tortola to Virgin Gorda have been on land trips. Last year, our hotel made our Ferry Reservations and the cost was $24pp roundtrip. The Ferry Schedule was not a factor because we were staying in Tortola.

On our past two cruise stops in Tortola were were only in port for 6 hours or less so we took excursions offered by the ship. We LOVE being in Tortola! Hope this helps a bit.

• 1 month later...

Thought this was interesting and didn't want to start a new thread so just adding it here ....

In the book, 1,000_Places_To_See_Before_You_Die , The Baths of Virgin Gorda is listed as one of the places.

Quote from book: "The Baths, where huge, time-sculpted granite boulders -- some as big as small houses -- create spellbinding pools, shallow coves, and interconnected grottoes that are a haven for snorkelers, swimmers, and those who merely appreciate natural beauty. Stacked along the beach in jumbled piles, these prehistoric rocks .... "

Thanks for posting and the map. I would love to go to The Baths but am unsure since I had surgery on my ankle and DH has bad back. What do you think? I hate to miss it, but sounds like it might be tricky. Just wondering. Thanks Pat

hi everyone i will be in virgin gorda this week and we are going to the baths on smiths ferry service. i have everything aranged for a wonderful day but still have two questions for anyone who can answer.

1) where do you leave towels shoes and anything else while walking threw the baths? i know there is water so there must be some place to leave things that you dont want to get ruined

2) do you need shoes for walking around the baths or is barefoot the way to go?

thanks in advance everyone

Patpcozy .... :confused: Hate to discourage anyone from going to The Baths .... but, but, but .... Do be aware all of the ships' excursions and going by ferry require a 10 minute walk (often a bit longer :rolleyes: ) on a steep rocky, sandy path -- downhill going, uphill ALL the way back! We've seen folks slip and fall.... You know, it's great also to just enjoy Tortola -- beautiful island!!!

SLINKY-YJ .... Will try to answer your questions. 1) Yes, you can rent lockers. We normally don't take things of much value with us and have never had a problem just leaving them on the beach. 2) You will NEED shoes for sure for the walk up and down the path!!!

Hope you have a GREAT time! Please remember to tell us all about it when you return!

I would love to go to The Baths but am unsure since I had surgery on my ankle and DH has bad back. What do you think? I hate to miss it, but sounds like it might be tricky. Just wondering. Thanks Pat

Maybe consider doing a catamaran excursion to the Baths? :) Then you can still see the Baths from the water. Only consideration about the ankle would be getting on and off the catamaran - depends on how the ladder/steps are designed to get in/out of the water. Some vessels are easier than others...

We're going with http://www.patouche.com/

I'd email them to explain your physical concerns and see what they suggest. They have received many favorable reviews here on CC, and my own experience in booking/communicating with them has been excellent. (We're slated to go with them in late November.) Might also be nice just to stay onboard and view from a short distance.

Hi Ocruiser and MandyGirl. Thanks for the info, we had pretty much planned on seeing "just" Tortola but couldn't resist asking for confirmation. I had my foot operated on in April thinking it would be better by Nov. BUT it didn't work that way, so I don't think we'll risk it. I would have loved to see the Baths. Oh well, thanks Pat

• 2 weeks later...

gfyjny.... The only place I remember seeing "regular" restrooms was at the top of the baths where the restaurant is located. We just wear our bathing suits with cover-ups/shirts so don't know about a changing area ....

Pusser's on Virgin Gorda is at Leverick Bay - the opposite (North) end from the Baths.

http://www.pussers.com/outposts/leverickbay

There are a number of Pusser's scattered around.

The Painkiller was invented here:

http://www.sandcastle-bvi.com/soggy.html on Jost van Dyke.

The story:

http://pussers.com/rum/pop_pkr

The recipe:

http://www.pussers.com/rum/pop_cocktails?abbr=pkr

Map of Virgin Gorda (Fat Virgin):

http://www.skyviews.com/bvi/virgingorda/map.html

Map of Tortola for the helluva it:

http://www.skyviews.com/bvi/tortola/map.html

Have not done a beach type tour before. We are going to the Baths. You wear your swimsuit with a cover.Shoes were mentoned. Do you mean water shoes (thin soles with web siding) with these can you walk to the ferry,or sandals or running shoes.

phabric .... Most folks seem to wear tennis/walking shoes getting to and fro. DH wears his "tennis" shoes. I've always just worn my "flip-flops" and not had a problem ... but I'm use to climbing around in them. Keep in mind that you do have to walk down and then back up a steep, rocky path. You will know what's best for you under those conditions. Hint: On the path try to stay on the rocky areas. It's the sand that causes slipping.

At The Baths we always climb around barefoot. The rocks are smooth (like a river rocks). Some people are more comfortable with shoes. For the beach/grotto area we always take water shoes :rolleyes: which we never wear ... but always take them .... :rolleyes:

Hope is helps and that you have a GREAT time!! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because we snorkeled from our Patouche charter to the beach area, we went through the Baths with no shoes (carried our flippers). It was not a problem at all for anyone in our group.

Jost Van Dyke is great - definitely go to Foxy's and Soggy Dollar Beach Bar. It is beautiful, and seeing St John a short distance away just makes it so peaceful!!

• 5 months later...

Great site. Very helpful.

Mandy, I have tried to email Patouche a couple of times and I am not getting a reply. I was curious about their deal. Is it a whole day or can you do a half day? Would you mind letting me know what the charge is for what you are doing? I am only a snorkeler. If you have a good email address, please let me know.

Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...

Archived