Last minute change to itinery order and inability to get into port

Just returned from the Dreams Feb 21st Mayan Treasures cruise. The order of itinery should have been Roatan Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel but when we boarded and read our Cruise News we found out that the order was completely the other way round visiting Cozumel first. We were told that we would be using tenders to disembark at Cozumel (although we had pulled right upto the pier last time we visited). Unfortunately when we arrived at Cozumel, the ship was unable to dock at the pier and we would also not be able to use tenders as we were told the sea was too rough for Dreams smaller tenders. There were several other cruise ships at the port, all on moorings and using the ports tenders. Why we couldn't use these tenders as well is a mystery. We were just advised by the Captain that we would be missing out Cozumel altogether and slowly make our way up the Mexican coast to reach Costa Maya the following morning. There was no talk of making an earlier docking in Costa Maya or anywhere else so we ended up missing out on a very popular destination port and a much looked forward to visit to the Tulum Mayan ruins. As you can imagine, there were many very disgruntled cruisers on board having to put up with an extra day at sea. We were all wondering if the itinary had not been changed around and we had stuck to the order as advertised, would we have been able to dock in Cozumel? We do read smallprint and know that itineries can change but has anyone else suffered missing out on a port visit entirely? Were you offered any other port of call as a replacement? Also has anyone else had their order of port visits changed round completely but not been advised beforehand? :mad::(

We do read smallprint and know that itineries can change but has anyone else suffered missing out on a port visit entirely? Were you offered any other port of call as a replacement? Also has anyone else had their order of port visits changed round completely but not been advised beforehand? :mad::(

Have missed out on a port twice - actually same port, Valencia, on two different occasions; the first time weather conditions meant docking in a different port was impossible so we had a day at sea, the second time we continued to our next port and had an overnight there. With the 'Cruise Cover' of our then insurance policy we could claim 50 Pounds for missed ports so I would suggest that you look at your own policy Ts and Cs to see if you can make a claim.

Just returned from the Dreams Feb 21st Mayan Treasures cruise. The order of itinery should have been Roatan Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel but when we boarded and read our Cruise News we found out that the order was completely the other way round visiting Cozumel first. We were told that we would be using tenders to disembark at Cozumel (although we had pulled right upto the pier last time we visited). Unfortunately when we arrived at Cozumel, the ship was unable to dock at the pier and we would also not be able to use tenders as we were told the sea was too rough for Dreams smaller tenders. There were several other cruise ships at the port, all on moorings and using the ports tenders. Why we couldn't use these tenders as well is a mystery. We were just advised by the Captain that we would be missing out Cozumel altogether and slowly make our way up the Mexican coast to reach Costa Maya the following morning. There was no talk of making an earlier docking in Costa Maya or anywhere else so we ended up missing out on a very popular destination port and a much looked forward to visit to the Tulum Mayan ruins. As you can imagine, there were many very disgruntled cruisers on board having to put up with an extra day at sea. We were all wondering if the itinary had not been changed around and we had stuck to the order as advertised, would we have been able to dock in Cozumel? We do read smallprint and know that itineraries can change but has anyone else suffered missing out on a port visit entirely? Were you offered any other port of call as a replacement? Also has anyone else had their order of port visits changed round completely but not been advised beforehand? :mad::(

We were on that cruise and also the Cuban Fusion the week before. Both cruise itineraries were been changed from the originally published.

I had heard a rumour on CC about the itinerary changes so was keen to get the correct itineraries because we had booked car hire and private shore tours at a number of ports of call. Eventually, after several visits to my local Thomson TA and emails to HQ got an email from Thomsons saying the the Mayan Treasures itinerary had been reversed because of congestion at Roatan. Ironic as it turned out, because there were 7 or 8 other vessels at Cozumel which was even more congested than Roatan would have been. Total incompetence by whoever was responsible for organising the itineraries.

Fortunately for us we had visited Cozumel on the Cuban Fusion itinerary but I sympathise with those whose missed out on Cozumel and hope they get some joy with the insurance claims.

We have had ports cancelled twice without replacement. Both were on P&O ships

The first time was when it was too rough to tender into Tobago, and the second was because of high seas and crosswinds at Cabo San Lucas made the docking approach too dangerous. In both cases we were advised that there were no available ports near enough which wouldn't impact on the future part of the itinerary.

Last autumn, on Discovery, we were unable to tender into Villefranche because of a storm, but we put into Toulon instead, which is a large port and was close by.

I understand that there are quite a few factors which affect the tendering operations such as wind strength and direction, wave height and swell, size of tenders, and the height of the tendering platform etc. I don't think the decision to abandon the visit to Cozumel would have been taken lightly, and passenger safety is paramount.

However I do think that Thomson were remiss in not advising you of the itinerary reversal.

After hearing insurance can cover missed ports I ensured I had this cover when I renewed but when I tried to claim Thomson's would not give me the written notification needed to make the claim. Found out that reception on board can give it though, so will remember that for the future.

I rang our insurers and unfortunately I was told that when I bought our insurance online I didnt click the Cruise Plus option which would have meant I had to make a call to the insurers (didn't tell me this) so we weren't covered for missed ports :( All a bit academic if Thomsons won't supply the paperwork needed. Why is all this so frustrating! This cruise has really put me off. We book a cruise mainly for the ports they are visiting but they can just miss the ports or change itenaries for some reason or another and it seems we do not have any redress. £50 isn't really compensation is it when you have been looking forward to a particular port. Thanks everyone though for all the advice though.

Sorry but safety is the Captains responsibility and often a swell size cannot be judged from the ships decks I have seen tenders lifted back onto the ship with great difficulty and danger to the crew when the sea conditions have changed from when they were lowered. And we hit the dock when leaving Cozumel Jan 2016 due to high winds which left yet another large dent in Dream. However why Thomson reversed the cruise itinerary is a mystery and you should have been informed in advance so passengers could alter any private bookings they had made. Also remember if a ship can't get into port then Thomson lose out on returns from their excursions too. Please don't let this put you off cruising again - the weather in the Caribbean this winter has been most unusual with high winds and rainy weather - which we hope has settled by the time we sail in April on Dream

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 West Caribbean & Central America BtoB

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba BtoB

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 West Caribbean Panama & Cuba BtoB

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Just returned from the Dreams Feb 21st Mayan Treasures cruise. The order of itinery should have been Roatan Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel but when we boarded and read our Cruise News we found out that the order was completely the other way round visiting Cozumel first. We were told that we would be using tenders to disembark at Cozumel (although we had pulled right upto the pier last time we visited). Unfortunately when we arrived at Cozumel, the ship was unable to dock at the pier and we would also not be able to use tenders as we were told the sea was too rough for Dreams smaller tenders. There were several other cruise ships at the port, all on moorings and using the ports tenders. Why we couldn't use these tenders as well is a mystery. We were just advised by the Captain that we would be missing out Cozumel altogether and slowly make our way up the Mexican coast to reach Costa Maya the following morning. There was no talk of making an earlier docking in Costa Maya or anywhere else so we ended up missing out on a very popular destination port and a much looked forward to visit to the Tulum Mayan ruins. As you can imagine, there were many very disgruntled cruisers on board having to put up with an extra day at sea. We were all wondering if the itinary had not been changed around and we had stuck to the order as advertised, would we have been able to dock in Cozumel? We do read smallprint and know that itineries can change but has anyone else suffered missing out on a port visit entirely? Were you offered any other port of call as a replacement? Also has anyone else had their order of port visits changed round completely but not been advised beforehand? :mad::(

I was on the same cruise and the next one, Cuban Fusion, which was also in reverse. I have emailed Thomson's as I believe they have been operating this way round for months! A simple email before we left would have solved some of the bad feeling regarding change in port dates, but I feel the captain knew he was taking a big risk going to Cozumel on such a busy day, I feel robbed of a days holiday.:(

I was on the same cruise and the next one, Cuban Fusion, which was also in reverse. I have emailed Thomson's as I believe they have been operating this way round for months! A simple email before we left would have solved some of the bad feeling regarding change in port dates, but I feel the captain knew he was taking a big risk going to Cozumel on such a busy day, I feel robbed of a days holiday.:(

Yes we feel the same. Its about time Thomsons looked at improving their customer service post bookings and with regard to not getting into port I know safety is always paramount but I dont think Thomsons have the 'clout' of the larger cruise ship lines. It seems to us that when larger tenders are available from a port Thomsons just don't get a lookin (and I don't actually feel that we were given the whole story at this port) Perhaps its time to look at other cruise lines. :confused: