Flight options to FLL or MIA

Geldhart

Our cruise will be leaving from Miami and I am looking into our flight options. Narrowed it down to 2 options. Both priced similarly, have the same first leg, and have similar layover times in the same airport. We are going to fly in the day before the cruise.

Option 1

Using our preferred airline all the way from home to Fort Lauderdale.

Option 2

Preferred airline on the first leg, but a codeshare for the second leg to get us to Miami. I have no strong experience or feelings either way about the code share airline.

Cruise will be in November. We don't want to be driving ourselves at all in Florida. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each option? Is there any headaches I should be aware of with Option 1 to Fort Lauderdale?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are sailing from MIA, and the airfares are similar, I am not sure why you wouldn't fly into MIA. If nothing else, you save the cost and hassle of shuttling between FLL and MIA.

But, without specifics of flights, layovers, etc., hard to give an informed answer.

My main concern is if something goes wrong on the flight, if I'm on my preferred airline the entire trip, there is no confusion about who I need to work with to get to my final destination. Hence any headaches about transferring from Fll to Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My recommendation is you go with the preferred airline and don't worry about the cost of the shuttle back and forth to the Port - it's only $15 p/p on one of several services. QLS 888-757-0021 or Lasser Transport 954-624-6005 are both reliable.

Typically we fly to MIA when using A/A and always use FLL when flying on Spirit.

Be careful and avoid a one-flight-daily airline no matter what the savings. Go with the carrier that has several direct flights each day!

For one night? For two people? :confused:

Flying into FLL for a cruise from the Port of Miami is not a big hassle - 1000's do it every week. An Uber from FLL area hotels to POM is only $30-40 or there are many shared shuttles with fares starting at $13-15 per person.

If you choose to fly into FLL I would book your return flight for after noon; if you choose to fly from MIA then you can easily make an 1100 or later departure.

Thanks Fred&Lily and JohninDC. Thanks what I needed.

Will fly to FLL with my preferred airline that way there's fewer things that can go wrong. Ie I know exactly which airline is responsible for getting me to where I want to go. Had a buddy who has had an issue with a code shared flight in the past; both airlines referred him to the other.

Thanks for the timing suggestion on the return flight, I will book accordingly.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app