Freedom Trail etc.

AnnArbor

Want to do the Freedom Trail on our own when we stop there on our cruise in October and have a few questions. 1. Where can I get a map of the Freedom Trail before we get there if possible? 2. I have heard that a good place to start was at the USS Constition and head back, yes or no? If so what's the best way to get there?

Freedom Trail map - http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/maps/maps.html

There's nothing sacred about following every step of the Freedom Trail - it's just a suggested route that leads you past many historical sites.

One reason to start at the Constitution is that you start at the furthest point and work back to downtown Boston. The Constitution also opens at 9 am so you can get in and out of there first thing, walk back through the North End, and end up at Quincy Market for lunch. The best way to get to the Constitution is to take a cab - public transit is complicated and the "T" subway does not go directly there. Another option would be to take a cab to Long Wharf and the MBTA water taxi over to the Constitution for $1.70/pp.

At the end of the trail at the Boston Common you would be close to the Park St "T" station. To get back to the ship take the Red Line direction Braintree/Mattapan (any train) 2 stops to South Station. Follow the signs to the Silver Line (don't go through an exit) and take the SL2 bus back to Black Falcon.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi 138East - thanks for all your great help I've found your posts very informative. Can you tell me where on the map you just gave a link to do the ships dock ?

Ships dock at the Black Falcon Pier which is in South Boston. It does not show on that map. It would be past the lower right corner of the map.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about 2.5 miles. From the Constitution there is a MBTA water taxi that you can take to Long Wharf for $1.70/pp. From Long Wharf you can do a circle through the North end coming back to Faneuil Hall. IMO just a bit more interesting than the route between the Constitution and the North End - you walk along the waterfront through Christopher Columbus Park.

Archived