Panama Canal 2 day experience and UBD

sue2go

I am trying to plan what night to do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the Island Princess Feb sailing - LA - Ft. Lauderdale. What does the ship do the night before entering the canal? We are in Fuerte Amador until 6 pm, then enter the canal the next morning. Don't want to plan on it when the wind will be a factor, so that was one thought if we anchor someplace nearby and stay put till morning. Another thought was after doing Antiqua... which would be earlier in the cruise and maybe not as hot and humid? Thoughts?

It appears you're sailing on 2/18/16?

We've sailed through the Canal in both directions but not with a 2 day Canal experience so cannot help with those questions. The itinerary shows sailing from Puntarenas Costa Rica at 7:00 and we enjoyed the UBD at 6:00 sailing from there with good weather. I didn't see Antigua & if I have the correct cruise the ship sails from Aruba & Puerto Quetzal at 7:00.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am trying to plan what night to do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the Island Princess Feb sailing - LA - Ft. Lauderdale. What does the ship do the night before entering the canal? We are in Fuerte Amador until 6 pm, then enter the canal the next morning. Don't want to plan on it when the wind will be a factor, so that was one thought if we anchor someplace nearby and stay put till morning. Another thought was after doing Antiqua... which would be earlier in the cruise and maybe not as hot and humid? Thoughts?

Panama City/Fuerte Amador would be an excellent choice.

We did balcony dining anchored at Fuerte Amador about 6pm and it was a fantastic view of the city. We have done balcony dining all 17 cruises we have been on and love it.

On the 2 day experience, the ship anchors off Fuerte Amador and it tenders.

The tenders stop at 6 pm, but the ship remains anchored until early in the morning (like 3 am). It then moves around Fuerte Amador and enters the canal. By 6 am you should be nearing the true entrance.

That means you will be at anchor on the first night and a UBD would be a great thing. At anchor, the ship will rotate somewhat, meaning the view might change over time.

Panama city and Fuerte Amador are modern with many buildings palm trees and lights. A perfect setting for your UBD.

On the 2 day experience, the ship anchors off Fuerte Amador and it tenders.

The tenders stop at 6 pm, but the ship remains anchored until early in the morning (like 3 am). It then moves around Fuerte Amador and enters the canal. By 6 am you should be nearing the true entrance.

That means you will be at anchor on the first night and a UBD would be a great thing. At anchor, the ship will rotate somewhat, meaning the view might change over time.

Panama city and Fuerte Amador are modern with many buildings palm trees and lights. A perfect setting for your UBD.

Yes a perfect night for it. ;)

Oooh - that sounds like a great night for the UBD. Now I have a couple of options, so will see which one works better with our schedule and the ship's staff, as I understand they only do maybe 4 of these per night. I'll decide prior to boarding on my first and second choice, and call the dine line first thing upon boarding - all things I've learned here on CC. This is my first Princess Cruise (have cruised Celebrity and RC) so the tips and help I get from CC members is great! Thank you all!