Juneau Halibut fishing

lbfluffy

I was told from another source that Halibut fishing in Juneau is not good at all and we shouldn't waste our money. She said it takes a long time to catch one Halibut. Well I had already paid for our fishing tour so it's a little late to cancel now. This trip is for the 2 men in our party for June 29. I hope this isn't true. Any others that can reassure me.

Thanks.

Halibut fishing is great in Juneau. Sure, everyone can have a slow day here and there, but a general statement like that isn't what I'd call "accurate."

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 5-day trip with 3 days of halibut fishing. I'll let you know how long it takes us to hook up the first fish in each location...

Don't worry, and have fun on your vacation!

-Case

I agree that any boat can have a slow day fishing. I shouldn't have said "your friend was on the wrong boat" that wasn't very CC friendly - sorry.

Juneau does have great halibut fishing, however!

Fish On!

Capt.Gus

Thanks all. The guys aren't too worried since they are excited to go fishing in Juneau. It's a once in a lifetime adventure. I feel in my gut I made the right choice since I researched charter companies and I feel comfortable with my choice.

Although I won't be going out with him until next summer, we e-mail back and forth a few times with different questions and answers before I actually booked. He was very patient with me and his boat looks like the one I want to be on. (42ft. as opposed to 28ft. through cruise line) He will pick you up at your ship, and bring you back.

We booked a 6 hour salmon trip, 2 pm - 8 pm, which leaves him time in the morning for another trip. So, if you want an 8 hr. Halibut trip be sure to book earily or his day might already be taken.

You can check him out at: www.experiencealaska.com

or e-mail him at: alaska@aukebay.com

Hope you have a great trip,

Thanks Melodi. I actually did book with Capt. Todd. I liked his quick responses and answers to my questions. Only problem right now is the charter only has our two guys on it. Hopefully we will get more people. He needs 3 people to get the lower rate for 3 or more or we have to pay more.

your 2 guys get the boat to themselves! That's a lot better than having to buy the boat out for a very personalized trip they'll never forget.

Don't worry though, lots of people want to fish in Alaska. And, with only 6 anglers allowed on a boat, that would still be a great trip. :D

...And, with only 6 anglers allowed on a boat, that would still be a great trip. :D

Just to clarify, there is a 6 LINE per boat limit in SouthEast Alaska only. Up north (Homer, Kodiak, etc.) this limit does not exist.

In Juneau, some boats are certified for more than 6 passengers, and can easily handle 8 or 10 "anglers" who can all limit out on halibut within a few hours using only 6 lines/rods/etc.

Personally, I prefer the smaller, more personalized trips - especially for halibut. It's hard to go wrong with Beartrack, so have fun!

-Case

Oh, and of the 2 days we fished on the Petersburg trip, we had phenominal fishing, limiting all 3 anglers in under 2 hours each day. We released 4 fish in excess of 200 lbs.

To be fair amidst all this bragging, we were a bit farther from Juneau than the usual day-trip will run for Halibut. I don't think Capt. Todd runs day-trips to Five-Finger Lighthouse these days! :rolleyes:

-Case

...Oh, and you do?

Capt. Gus

Awww...geez. My post got pulled within 3 minutes of putting it up. I guess talking about a trip (when you're the tour provider) is considered advertising. Here's my last post, re-posted without the description of the trip...:

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry... I just re-read my post and realized how bad that may have sounded. I didn't mean to bash Beartrack at all... I just meant that I hadn't heard of any boats which operate out of Auke Bay running that far for a day trip. Gus is right, it's a long haul, even from downtown Juneau.

Now, the short answer to your question, yes. Alaskan Marine Adventures runs day-trips to the 5-Fingers, Hobart, Windham, and Gambier bays. <<SNIP>>

-Case

• 10 years later...
Thanks all. The guys aren't too worried since they are excited to go fishing in Juneau. It's a once in a lifetime adventure. I feel in my gut I made the right choice since I researched charter companies and I feel comfortable with my choice.

I know it was a while ago...but how did your guys do in Juneau on their fishing trip? We have a halibut excursion planned for this August in Juneau! Do you mind telling what fishing charter they used?

• 1 month later...