Best Umbrella Stroller for Cruising

MistyRo76

We are taking our DD, who will be 14 months, on her first cruise this Oct. I absolutely don't want to take our big stroller and lug it around everywhere. I'd like to get a nice, sturdy umbrella stroller that has a canopy to help keep the little one out of the hot island sun! Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Misty

I picked up the Chicco Liteway Plus. We already had a Chicco car seat which fit perfectly into this convertible stroller. It easily converts from an infant stroller to an umbrella stroller. It reclines, has a canopy and best of all it collapses when you don't need it for easy storage.

Hi! Same age as my dd's first cruise! We bought a $15 stroller from toysrus. It's held up for three cruises and three summer's of famer's market and zoo trips. (The only time I really used it). She's three, so a bit big, but fit fine in Jan for her 3rd cruise. Not sure if we'll need it for next one (she'll be 4, seems a bit old/big)

• 2 weeks later...

We bought an Uppababy G-lite umbrella stroller for ours. She was 15 month on our last cruise and it worked well. It has a good sunshade and a decent sized basket underneath for storage. Also you can remove (easily) the cushion/seat thing and your kid can then just sit in the mesh sling - I think this is great for hot weather as sometimes all that padding can get hot.

On her first 2 cruises we took our big (relatively speaking) Britax and the umbrella was definitely better. I missed the bigger wheels of the Britax occasionally while in port but not enough to justify the space it took. The thing I noticed cruising with her at that age was how much I use the stroller on the ship. The first 2 times (6mo and 9mo) I never used it on the ship. But it was great to have to wheel her around the decks when it wasn't too crowded.

I was on a huge search for a stroller for our cruise. I have a BOB as my regular stroller, but it's way to huge for a cruise.

I got this Kolcraft stroller from Walmart for $50. It has a huge canopy and a very large basket underneath. It folds flat and fit perfectly under our bed on Carnival. It doesn't recline flat, but it is enough for my 1 1/2 year old to nap.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Sport-Lightweight-Stroller-Cobalt-Blue/38542556?type=search

I was on a huge search for a stroller for our cruise. I have a BOB as my regular stroller, but it's way to huge for a cruise.

I got this Kolcraft stroller from Walmart for $50. It has a huge canopy and a very large basket underneath. It folds flat and fit perfectly under our bed on Carnival. It doesn't recline flat, but it is enough for my 1 1/2 year old to nap.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Sport-Lightweight-Stroller-Cobalt-Blue/38542556?type=search

Does this recline enough for napping?

We have also found that some umbrella strollers the handles are pretty short making it hard for a tall person to push....what are your thoughts on this particular one ?

I bought the Summer Infant 3D Lite and love it. Folds flat with a carrying strap, reclines almost completely, has a larger than normal sunshade and is tall enough for my 6'2" husband to push.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-infant-3d-lite-convenience-stroller-caribbean-blue/872311?cmpid=PPC_Google_Search_Dynamic-Search_EN_229988562_30462_None_100022003130462_1273&gclid=COflnJ6poMUCFQ4yaQodW5MAuw

We haven't cruised with it yet, but we also bought a Kolcraft. It doesn't fully recline, but it reclines enough to where DS is comfortable enough to sleep. He'll be 10 months old in a few weeks when we try it out on his first cruise. It's done well in daily life situations so far.

I also like it because it's not super expensive so if it get's stolen it's not as financially draining.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the Uppababy! I am also a BOB user at home, but we got an Uppababy G-Luxe for our 6 month old's first cruise. This stroller is not cheap, but it is worth every penny. It normally retails for about $250 but I got it brand new on EBay for $150, and a used one usually goes for about $75 on Craigslist.

The sun shade is enormous and has two different settings, and it fully reclines. The best part for my kiddo is that it is the most upright umbrella stroller out there. It can be totally steered and turned with one hand. I also just put it right inside the cabin closet without folding it up.

We used it all round the ship, and even brought it to the dining room and tucked it right up next to the table in place of the dining chair.

One thing I was not expecting... My kid never slept in it. I was adamant about getting a stroller that reclined and then never used it. Normally he's a great sleeper and loves his naps. There was just so much activity going on to distract him that we had to return to the room for naps. (Of course, now that we're home, he sleeps in the stroller all the time).

Here are a few pics from our last cruise. Hope it helps!

ImageUploadedByForums1432002001.504197.jpg.fdead018398ba2813c00047e54d9ba5e.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1432001960.405688.jpg.6bb96393cf029771ade56fda840442e7.jpg

Mom of 3 here ( and avid cruiser). Buy a cheap umbrella stroller that you don't mind throwing out after the trip if need be. It will be filthy from flying. Sandy from the beach. Have sunscreen all over it and the remains of any treat you allow the baby. It will get wet from soggy swim diapers since it gets easier to just take them back to the room for a change then manage in the on deck bathroom. As for shade, a old receiving blanket or a sunbrella fabric picnic blanket does the job.

We bought this one becase it reclines.

Now that we've done 5 cruises with it, I'm totally impressed! We've used it for the baby - now 4 - and all sorts of hanging junk. I honestly think we've had well over 100 lbs in it many times in total between airports and cruises. It was an amazing beast that Britax has retired.

Good luck!

Mom of 3 here ( and avid cruiser). Buy a cheap umbrella stroller that you don't mind throwing out after the trip if need be. It will be filthy from flying. Sandy from the beach. Have sunscreen all over it and the remains of any treat you allow the baby. It will get wet from soggy swim diapers since it gets easier to just take them back to the room for a change then manage in the on deck bathroom. As for shade, a old receiving blanket or a sunbrella fabric picnic blanket does the job.

I was coming to add this. Ours has the umbrella, but kid pulls it down over her and I use a towel or whatever over the top. The fabric can unsnap (takes strength, not easy) if you want to wash or just wipe/hose down. Ours is still holding up, I used it today. Kid would rather be in her stroller in crowded places (works for me! she can't get lost!)

• 1 month later...
I bought the Summer Infant 3D Lite and love it. Folds flat with a carrying strap, reclines almost completely, has a larger than normal sunshade and is tall enough for my 6'2" husband to push.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-infant-3d-lite-convenience-stroller-caribbean-blue/872311?cmpid=PPC_Google_Search_Dynamic-Search_EN_229988562_30462_None_100022003130462_1273&gclid=COflnJ6poMUCFQ4yaQodW5MAuw

Thanks to all for the suggestions and tips! I just ended up buying the Summer Infant 3D Lite stroller from Walmart. My husband is 6'4", so the taller handles was a big plus for us! I had been checking prices on these for a while and they normally are $79.99. Walmart had the Orange one on sale for $61.00 with free shipping. So feel like I got a pretty good deal! :)

Can't wait to use it on our cruise!

Misty