Multi-generational family trip to St. Thomas

Miss Kellybean

Hi Cruise friends!

I am here to absorb all of your wonderful ideas and suggestions for our upcoming day in St. Thomas. We will be there on June 7 (1p-7p) on the Carnival Magic and I know we will be docking in/near Charlotte Amalie. We are a party of 4 - myself & hubby, son (8) and mom (64). We are looking for a private tour or charter so DH can dive and DS and I can snorkel and mom can sit in the shade and take in the scenery. Any ideas? We have never been to this port before and do not know our way around at all.

Any info/tips/suggestions/ideas?

Hi! St Thomas is a great spot for daysails with snorkeling, or off the beach snorkeling. Not being a diver I can't help there, but I know there are definitely good options for a diving excursion, and probably a dive/snorkeling option.

There are some popular daysails including High Pockets, Yacht Nightwind, and we enjoyed New Horizons which is a 60'+ sloop that sails out of Sapphire Marina. But these all leave in the AM unless you can arrange a group through your roll call to book them privately.

Check out the daysails that advertise on vinow dot com and see if any are available for your arrival time as many do cater to the cruise ship port times. There are many smaller power boat operators that are private and can arrange an itinerary for you. Most have a 6 pax max and if you can entice another couple to share the cost that is a great day.

Just a thought, you may find a dive excursion for hubby, and the rest of you can go to Sapphire beach for snorkeling, and there is natural shade along the shore for mom.

You are in port with 1 other ship (NCL Escape) so not a bad day, and Sapphire would a good beach choice.

Enjoy your time in St Thomas!

[EDIT] You will dock at Havensight which is the preferred dock, here is a map of the island, along with a webcam and drone video of Sapphire if interested -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

• 5 weeks later...
Take a taxi from the dock to Coki Beach. Taxi approx $10 per person each way.

Read the thread Coki Safe? I think on post #22 a person tells of her diving experiences at Coki.

That was probably my post - and was back last week on NCL Escape 4/19. I still recommend it and had posted lots of pics elsewhere . Have a multi generational family going in June as well - excellent spot for some to enjoy beach chairs, some to snorkel or dive (go up the stairs to Coki Dive shop to rent gear - full scuba gear for $35 we did last week or mask/snorkel for $5 or include find $10) and can also walk over to Cora World. Grab a magazine at information center off the cruise doc for St Thomas Weekly for coupons in back as you walk to grab a cab. Margaritaville is a 5-7 minute walk away from Coki for an excellent laid back lunch with a view. (I stayed there 5 nights in March and the above is what i recommend to clients- been traveling to St Thomas since our first cruise stop there in 2001 and married on St. John in 2003 on a cruise - love the USVI!! When I was teaching HS math I was always tying in travel examples when i could [emoji106] )

Been there three times in 2016 alone and highly recommend the above scenario for multi generational. January to do Discover scuba while on DCL wonder, March for our land stay to do our PADI open water certifications and last week while on NCL Escape. Already booked to return for a week with my own parents and children this summer - our group will range in age from 6 to 67.

This was our lunch view at Margaritaville on April 19 - short walk over one hill to next beach on left when walking away from Coral World / Coki-- you can eat there without being a resort guest and use beach (all beaches are public in USVI - but can't use chairs or resort amenities or floaty things - but Coki much better for snorkeling - it's just good to go for lunch afterwards and ask desk in restaurant if they can call a cab to pick you up there out in front of reception area as it is a gated resort and reception is Nextdoor to restaurant )

ImageUploadedByForums1462012325.799339.jpg.b533f459a4c7a63061b70d31617116f1.jpg

Hi Cruise friends!

I am here to absorb all of your wonderful ideas and suggestions for our upcoming day in St. Thomas. We will be there on June 7 (1p-7p) on the Carnival Magic and I know we will be docking in/near Charlotte Amalie. We are a party of 4 - myself & hubby, son (8) and mom (64). We are looking for a private tour or charter so DH can dive and DS and I can snorkel and mom can sit in the shade and take in the scenery. Any ideas? We have never been to this port before and do not know our way around at all.

Any info/tips/suggestions/ideas?

Have you chosen activities for your day on St Thomas?

• 3 weeks later...
We have decided to go with Fury Charters and my hubs will snorkel along with us. We found all of the details on http://www.usvisailing.com/. I hope to be able to report bak about our amazing trip and all the wonderful things we saw!

A daysail is a great choice when on St Thomas, have a great day and look forward to your report.