Assist America - emergency medical assistance for travelers

KAM-RN

Has any one had any dealings w/ Assist America, out of Princeton NJ? They are a company that provides emergency medical evacuation - amongst other traveller services. I became aware that this is a benefit through our medical insurance - Health Alliance Plan of Michigan (HAP). I have tried a Google search for reviews, but cannot find anything. I felt like it was too good to be true, but I called HAP and the representative confirmed. This is not a replacement for trip cancellation/interruption insurance, or of course medical insurance; but I don't have to get extra coverage for medi-vac (God forbid it's needed). If anyone knows anything regarding this company I would appreciate the feedback. We will be cruising Alaska 8/2017.

• 1 month later...

Medjet Assist (and some others) will evacuate you from a hospital anywhere in the world to the hospital of your choice in the U.S. But some medevac policies will only evacuate you to the nearest suitable hospital, which may be nowhere near (or even on the same continent) where you live. This is a very important question to ask before you purchase.

I have MedjetAssist and was curious on how it compares with Assist America.

This is from their website: "Medical evacuation. If there is no hospital nearby that meets our rigorous standards, we will transport you, with appropriate medical care and at no charge, to the nearest suitable facility."

For what happens after that, you're going to have to call them and ask.

We looked at the Assist America web site and it appears to be mostly aimed at student groups. Keep in mind that even if completely legit, they say they will evacuate you to the nearest medical facility (that meets their requirements). This means, for example, if you got sick off the coast of Italy they might arrange transportation to a hospital in Rome! Compare that policy to Medjetassist who would, if necessary, evacuate you to a hospital near your home.

Hank