Looking for a fish

Carol1560

My hubby and I are thinking about doing Progresso instead of jumping on a tour bus and taking off for hours.

We would like recommendations for a beachside restaurant that cooks whole fish and serves on the beach. It is the greatest experience and since Progresso is a fishing town, the fish should be awesome.

Thanks in advance

When are you going? Progreso is a fishing port, but often portions of the fishery will be closed to protect the stock. A common delicious fish is "mero", part of the grouper family. The mero fishery is usually closed in January, February and March. My personal favorite is Flamingos, about 4 blocks east of the pier on the Malecon. They offer beachside service. My experience is that the waiters are truthful in telling you what is fresh.

The Central Market, Mercado Central, across the street from the lighthouse, has a fresh fish section. You can see what is being sold as fresh that day. The vendors do not speak much English. The market is worth a visit to see what locals are buying. I think the food stalls in the market offer some of the best local food prepared in front of you.

• 2 weeks later...

on the Malecon (Main St.) should suffice. They are in front of the fish market, so anything that you get is fresh. There are tables and palapas in front of their restaurant right on the beach and they will serve you there if you wish.

Being on the Malecon will not suffice in an of itself for finding fresh fish. In walking the street behind the Malecon,I have noticed boxes in the trash labeled "Swai" an Asian farmed fish. I have also seen boxes labeled shrimp which had Thai origin. I am not condemning all restaurants on the Malecon. However, like restaurants all over the world, it can be hard to find fresh fish.

Being on the Malecon will not suffice in an of itself for finding fresh fish. In walking the street behind the Malecon,I have noticed boxes in the trash labeled "Swai" an Asian farmed fish. I have also seen boxes labeled shrimp which had Thai origin. I am not condemning all restaurants on the Malecon. However, like restaurants all over the world, it can be hard to find fresh fish.

Go out back and pick your own fish. I saw them in the fish market.