Can't decide...One day in Florence or...?

scher

Seems to me that just the drive was 3 hours round trip. So far that far me, a ship tour is a must. As I recall ours was late getting back but the ship waited. The Academia will take an hour and a half. There are several works by Michaelangelo besides David that must be seen. Ponte Vecchio will eat up another hour. The Duomo is beyond words. Palazzo Vecchio with it's copy of David is also a must see. I would also recommend that you do not double up Pisa and Florence. All you'll get is a photo op of the Tower. You can always eat later on the ship.

Is it possible to travel from Rome (will be there for 3-5 days pre cruise) for the day and visit Florence for a daytrip? What's the best way to "maximize" the day there? Thanks.

It takes about an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half to go from Rome to Florence by train. The good news is that the train station is right in the center of historic Florence. You could leave early in the morning and return in the evening (there are many, many trains daily), even after dinner if you wish....

Maximizing the day there (for me) would involve good planning -- look at the schedule of when things are open and closed in Florence as it's a bit of a muddle. Mondays would be the worst day to go, but some other sites are randomly closed on other days as well. And if you want to go into either the Uffizi or the Accademia, definitely pre-reserve a ticket.

Seems to me that just the drive was 3 hours round trip. So far that far me, a ship tour is a must. As I recall ours was late getting back but the ship waited. The Academia will take an hour and a half. There are several works by Michaelangelo besides David that must be seen. Ponte Vecchio will eat up another hour. The Duomo is beyond words. Palazzo Vecchio with it's copy of David is also a must see. I would also recommend that you do not double up Pisa and Florence. All you'll get is a photo op of the Tower. You can always eat later on the ship.

We won't/ or can't be on the ship tour because we are pre cruise- in Rome and taking a mostly Greek cruise - so may take a day trip via train to Florence. This is our first trip to Italy !

Thanks for the tips I'm starting a journal!

It takes about an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half to go from Rome to Florence by train. The good news is that the train station is right in the center of historic Florence. You could leave early in the morning and return in the evening (there are many, many trains daily), even after dinner if you wish....

Maximizing the day there (for me) would involve good planning -- look at the schedule of when things are open and closed in Florence as it's a bit of a muddle. Mondays would be the worst day to go, but some other sites are randomly closed on other days as well. And if you want to go into either the Uffizi or the Accademia, definitely pre-reserve a ticket.

Thanks cruisemom42. I'll have 6,317 questions between now and May 2017! 😀😬

Looks like you have lots of time to plan. In view of that would it be possible to spend one night in Florence even breaking up your stay in Rome and leaving most luggage there. I ask because as you learn more I think you may develop a desire to spend more time in this wonderful city. I know everyone will have differing opinions but I have returned more than once to Florence because it has so much to offer in its art, history etc. A two day visit with an early AM start and a late afternoon or evening return to Rome would give you a real opportunity to see it. In that type of scenario I would opt for a nice but not super fancy hotel near the train station where you could drop off and store a day bag. Remember you won't spend much time in the room.

Good luck in planning.