48th street to Cunnard Terminal

DEEDIA

Looking at staying a few days New York before catching QM2, on its crossing back to the UK. I know from previous visits that the Yellow Cabs only stay on the Island, so does this mean we would have to take a Limo Service. If so any idea on the distance and cost and time it would take for the journey. If any alternatives are available I would like to hear of them also. Another Brit in New York :D:D

Looking at staying a few days New York before catching QM2, on its crossing back to the UK. I know from previous visits that the Yellow Cabs only stay on the Island, so does this mean we would have to take a Limo Service. If so any idea on the distance and cost and time it would take for the journey. If any alternatives are available I would like to hear of them also. Another Brit in New York :D:D

There us no reason not to just take a NYC cab to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. It will run $30-40 depending on traffic, tolls and exactly where you leave from. A car service will quote you a fixed rate.

If you plan to take a cab, be sure to print out the directions to the port. Taking the Brooklyn BatteryTunnel might be faster than the Brooklyn Bridge, but it will have a $7.50 toll.

If "the island" you are referring to is Manhattan, it is absolutely not true that cabs don't go to the other boroughs of NYC. Just one small example is that people use cabs to get to LGA and JFK all the time.

Thank you for that information, when we flew into JFK we where told that we must use a Limo Service to and from. I would have much sooner used a Big Yellow Cab, this says this is New York and what I wanted to see do.

Can I hail a Cab for this journey from outside of the Hotel to take me there and then or does it have to be pre-booked

Thank you for that information, when we flew into JFK we where told that we must use a Limo Service to and from. I would have much sooner used a Big Yellow Cab, this says this is New York and what I wanted to see do.

Can I hail a Cab for this journey from outside of the Hotel to take me there and then or does it have to be pre-booked

Taxis are street hailed (or wait at designated taxi stands...if you're at a large hotel there may be one there). You can't book them.

Car services are prebooked...you can't street hail them.

By the way there are plenty of taxis at JFK. You don't have to take a car service to get into Manhattan from JFK. (There's nothing wrong with taking a car service however, and many people prefer them to taxis.) The taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is fixed at $52.50 plus tolls and tip (Unlike most other taxi fares in NY City, which are metered). Car services charge about the same.

Edited by njhorseman