Dzul Ha or Playa Corona for snorkeling

rbis_steve

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late answer. Haven't checked the snorkel board in a while.

We have snorkeled Dzul Ha before Hurricane Wilma and Playa Corona a couple of years ago. Neither compares to Roatan or Belize. If you want decent coral at Cozumel you need to do a boat trip out to one of the reefs. Water is deeper and the coral didn't get battered by the hurricanes. The best that we have had was in Belize but there are several spots on Roatan that I need to check out. Little French Key is supposed to be good.

we will be in Cozumel next Feb and wondering if anyone has been snorkeling at either Dzul or Corona recently. How are the reefs? Can you compare to Belize/Roatan or Bonaire?

Thanks for all your help... Steve

Just thought I would let you know that Dzul Ha is called "The Money Bar" now (changed several years back I believe)...just in case you wanted to do some research on it or get opinions on the Cozumel boards it might come up with more searches. :)

• 2 weeks later...

At the Money Bar don't make the mistake that so many do and get twenty or thirty feet out and wonder why you can't see anything, that's because you have to get a ways out before you see anything. Check the map on the side of the dive hut, you normally angle out to the NW from the northerly entrance, one you come across the concrete fish reefs you can turn and go south and you will come down the line of the reef.

It's not the best reef in the world but it is interesting, and since you don't have to pay an admission it's certainly among the cheapest, all it will cost is the taxi fare and whatever you eat and drink at the place. I go there a lot because we can spend an hour there and then head into town and DW doesn't think I'm ignoring her.

Just make sure you know which way the current is running and adjust your route to suit. David at the dive hut speaks English and can help you out.