Hotel near Baoshan Port?

lalenalei

Any recommendations on a hotel near the port? We will be flying in late at night and leaving the next day. I know, I know...shouldn't do that, etc. etc. But that's the way it has to be on this one.

TIA!

I'm sure you will hear from those with much more local knowledge than I can offer, but I wanted to suggest you check out accor hotels. I have stayed at one of their properties in central Shanghai (and many timed in other countries) and I highly recommend them. They have 15 options in the city and a couple look convenient to the port.

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you get and to hearing about your experience as I'm considering sailing Mariner in the coming year.

I suggest you stay near the airport. There are a number of fine hotels close to Pudong Airport, such as a very nice Ramada.

Baoshan is quite a long distance from Pudong Airport and there is really not much out there other than the cruise ship terminal. There is a good chance that you will find yourself in a long taxi queue and then having an hour-plus taxi ride with a driver who may not know exactly how to get you to where you want to go if you don't have it in Chinese for him to read.

I think you will feel much more comfortable on a late arrival staying near the airport. Wake up refreshed and ready, and the concierge will make sure your taxi driver knows exactly where to go.

There is nothing around the port, so this is not an option. As for the airport, like most airports in the world, the hotels nearby are more expensive. It is also a very boring environment.

Go to town (you have to do that in any case to catch your cruise) and at least you'll have a selection of restaurants and you can walk around. Tons of hotels in Shanghai but hard to recommend one without knowing your budget.

Thanks for the replies!

I suggest you stay near the airport. There are a number of fine hotels close to Pudong Airport, such as a very nice Ramada.

Baoshan is quite a long distance from Pudong Airport and there is really not much out there other than the cruise ship terminal. There is a good chance that you will find yourself in a long taxi queue and then having an hour-plus taxi ride with a driver who may not know exactly how to get you to where you want to go if you don't have it in Chinese for him to read.

I think you will feel much more comfortable on a late arrival staying near the airport. Wake up refreshed and ready, and the concierge will make sure your taxi driver knows exactly where to go.

Right now I have reservations at the Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao Hotel and Lanson Place Jin Qiao Residence. I tried to find hotels near the airport, but none accommodate 2A 2C. We would have to get two rooms, and I'm not into that. Why would we want to stay separately? Interesting how many hotels in Europe (and apparently Shanghai) are like that (with 3 ppl max).

So out of the ones that accommodate 4 guests, I chose these. I would definitely prefer to stay near the airport, but can't seem to find an appropriate hotel.

Good point on the taxi!

There is nothing around the port, so this is not an option. As for the airport, like most airports in the world, the hotels nearby are more expensive. It is also a very boring environment.

Go to town (you have to do that in any case to catch your cruise) and at least you'll have a selection of restaurants and you can walk around. Tons of hotels in Shanghai but hard to recommend one without knowing your budget.

Cost isn't much of a factor, other than I won't pay premium prices since we will literally be there for 10 hours. Also, don't want to go into the city proper, as we won't be able to do anything anyway. Just need to sleep and get up and go to the port. We are sailing on a bigger ship, so the port is at the mouth of the river, not the one in town.

I also checked out the accor hotels. Seems familiar, as I recognize the names of the properties from ones in Barcelona. Only one accommodates four people, and it is too far. Bummer!

If you are going to have no other time in Shanghai, then stay downtown so you can at least see the amazing Shanghai skyline. You would want a view across to the Pudong area with all the new buildings.

Hi! Would you still recommend doing that even though we will literally only be going to the hotel to sleep? With two nine-year-olds? My thought was to just stay somewhere convenient near the airport or at least on the route to the port. We will probably not even go outside. A bummer, I know. But we can't start this trip any earlier. :(

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Pudong+International+Airport,+Shanghai,+China&daddr=BUND,+Shanghai,+China+to:Baoshan,+Shanghai,+China&hl=en&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.643066&geocode=FZg52wEdkaVCByFfNSzJcRPkySnBUJV23o-tNTFfNSzJcRPkyQ%3BFUWw3AEdkcw9ByFkr9EQ7ftWTSlhSIeLV3CyNTFkr9EQ7ftWTQ%3BFZE13wEdzMg9BylBUwrjWQqyNTHEye7C9TLzqQ&oq=baoshan&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

Shanghai is on the way to the port. Your sons (and you) would get a thrill out of the very fast Maglev Train. This goes from the airport partway into downtown and you can take a taxi from there.

You can get more detailed advice on this on Trip Advisor.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Pudong+International+Airport,+Shanghai,+China&daddr=BUND,+Shanghai,+China+to:Baoshan,+Shanghai,+China&hl=en&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.643066&geocode=FZg52wEdkaVCByFfNSzJcRPkySnBUJV23o-tNTFfNSzJcRPkyQ%3BFUWw3AEdkcw9ByFkr9EQ7ftWTSlhSIeLV3CyNTFkr9EQ7ftWTQ%3BFZE13wEdzMg9BylBUwrjWQqyNTHEye7C9TLzqQ&oq=baoshan&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

Shanghai is on the way to the port. Your sons (and you) would get a thrill out of the very fast Maglev Train. This goes from the airport partway into downtown and you can take a taxi from there.

You can get more detailed advice on this on Trip Advisor.

Thanks! I didn't realize the "normal" route would go through the city. When I was using google maps, I always got this return.

I've used Trip Advisor a lot, but haven't read any good info on this. I think I have to post in the forum.