can I bring my own 2-liter Diet Coke?

Packed2Go

The policy is that no food or drink is allowed to be brought onboard.

Do they enforce this. Rarely, especially when it comes to soft drinks. You could be unlucky and be the one that gets stopped by security and have it retained until the end of your cruise.

As Amo says, the policy is strictly no food or drink to be brought aboard. So if you are going to smuggle a 2 litre bottle of cola, you might as well pour off a third and refill it with brandy or rum to give it some medicinal purpose and justify your efforts.

We bought a 2 liter bottle of coke and some other drinks and snacks in Dubrovnik for our drive home from Venice the next day and send it in our backpack through the x-ray machine.

The machine stopped and beeped. One of the security guys looked at the screen, where the shape of the bottle was clearly visible and then pushed a button to move our backpack through. He did not say a word.

MSC is very flexible when it comes to enforcing this rule as long as you are reasonable. They can see what you bring on, so I would not describe it as smuggeling.

Edit: reading Tim's comment now - it was Cola light, so did not contain any sugar, knowing of course that Aspartame is not great either, but it was a long drive after a short night.

Edited by Alex71

I don't know, maybe it's me, but I'm not a child and therefore don't need to be looked after to ensure I do the right thing. While I usually carry my own soda on board, I voluntarily chose a cruise line that does not allow that practice, so as an adult, I'm going to follow that rule, whether I like the rule or not.

I don't know, maybe it's me, but I'm not a child and therefore don't need to be looked after to ensure I do the right thing. While I usually carry my own soda on board, I voluntarily chose a cruise line that does not allow that practice, so as an adult, I'm going to follow that rule, whether I like the rule or not.

You'll fit in on MSC just fine with that philosophy as it is also theirs. They think we're adults and treat is like adults. They won't tell you what you must or must not do. They tell you their rules and that's it. The only exceptions are

1. Attending the muster drill

2. when someone is doing something so stupid that it's a safety risk to themselves or others (like sitting on the railings) then expect a conversation with the Mosad boys

3. are being ridiculous in attire (bathing suit to MDR)