Group Rates

Hi all 1st time poster here, my wife and I are planning a cruise with her family and friends and wanted some input on group rates. If there is any tips or tricks we should be asking for. This will only be our 2nd cruise so we are very new to this. Thanks in advance for the help!

Paul,

Thanks, and yes the group rate is based on the 16/8 deal but was wondering what else you got with it. I see on different places it says you can get a bottle of wine or a private party or a fruit basket, but was wondering if there were better deals to ask for like drinks deals or onboard credit etc........

Paul,

Thanks, and yes the group rate is based on the 16/8 deal but was wondering what else you got with it. I see on different places it says you can get a bottle of wine or a private party or a fruit basket, but was wondering if there were better deals to ask for like drinks deals or onboard credit etc........

Each cruiseline is different. We have formed 6 groups with Carnival. These are our experiences--

Each cruise has a limited number of Amenity Points. Typically more points are available for off-season cruises to no points during high demand dates. More can be bought.

The group can decide what the points are used for- Onboard Credit (OBC), wine, parties, coupons, etc. Our group uses our points as a fundraiser.

Groups can be smaller than 8 cabins but the 'free berth' doesn't kick in until the 8th cabin booked. Money refunded after the cruise.

In the beginning we decide how many cabins to hold for the group and someone has to deposit $50 per cabin. This is not an individual booking deposit.

One year we did the group deposit. We paid the $50/each cabin AND our own deposit at the beginning. When the unbooked cabins were released we got the whole group deposit refunded to us.

Edited by SadieN

Each cruiseline is different. We have formed 6 groups with Carnival. These are our experiences--

Each cruise has a limited number of Amenity Points. Typically more points are available for off-season cruises to no points during high demand dates. More can be bought.

The group can decide what the points are used for- Onboard Credit (OBC), wine, parties, coupons, etc. Our group uses our points as a fundraiser.

Groups can be smaller than 8 cabins but the 'free berth' doesn't kick in until the 8th cabin booked. Money refunded after the cruise.

In the beginning we decide how many cabins to hold for the group and someone has to deposit $50 per cabin. This is not an individual booking deposit.

One year we did the group deposit. We paid the $50/each cabin AND our own deposit at the beginning. When the unbooked cabins were released we got the whole group deposit refunded to us.

You shouldn't have to pay the entire group deposit up front. I've never had to do that with groups (and I deal mostly with groups). As the cabins are booked, the $50 per cabin is due and is paid for by the clients who are booking that cabin. Carnival gives you a deadline to book the cabins, and then if that deadline is not met they release the cabins so others can book them.

• 1 year later...

I was group leader of 32 passengers in 15 staterooms. Since we didn't fill the 16th cabin we only received $732 for one person. Yet, our TA filled the 16th cabin but we didn't get credit for it. Who would have received the approximately $700 for the second set of eight cabins? I had my suspicions but was assured by the TA that his company didn't get it. Can anyone shed any light on this situation since we are planning another group cruise.