Exploring Florence

cannockfrodo

We're cruising into Livorno next summer and would love to see more of Florence,we've done a walking tour from a ship already.

Can any one suggest a tour company that would help us see even more of this wonderful city including a transfer from Livorno ?

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you look down the board you will see a huge thread for Rome in Limo, full of recommendations. Don't be fooled by the name of the company, they have an office in Florence. In fact we used Rome in Limo or a Florence area tour in June. Excellent!

There are many good options and always good to try to search the threads.

Another one is: Joe Banana Limos and this is their web site

http://www.joebananalimos.net

I would try to find two or three and then e mail with each one to figure out which one works for you.

Trip Advisor is also an excellent source for reviews.

Keith

There are many good options and always good to try to search the threads.

Another one is: Joe Banana Limos and this is their web site

http://www.joebananalimos.net

I would try to find two or three and then e mail with each one to figure out which one works for you.

Trip Advisor is also an excellent source for reviews.

Keith

That is hysterical! !! I was just going to post that information! !!

I just sent an email for pricing. He does both the Rome and Livorno port pickup.

Any potential interest from anyone?

• 5 weeks later...

Another good one is Italy Shore drivers. A group of us(arranged via rollcall) used them for Rome, Florence and Naples. All three tours were very good and all three drivers had great local knowledge. It was good to be in 8-10 seater vans, travelling in comfort and not being herded along with 30-40 people like a lot of tours we saw. I think Florence was a good example as we got in heavy traffic our driver headed down some very narrow roads and managed to miss all the traffic.

We're cruising into Livorno next summer and would love to see more of Florence,we've done a walking tour from a ship already.

Can any one suggest a tour company that would help us see even more of this wonderful city including a transfer from Livorno ?

Fingers crossed.

Can you clarify what you mean?

On your walking tour, did you go inside any of the places? Inside the Uffizzi? Inside the Bargello (which is to sculpture what the Uffizzi is to painting)? Inside the the Duomo? Inside the Basilica of San Lorenzo to see the Medici chapels? Inside the Laurentian Library to see the Michelangelo stairs? Inside the Palazzo Medici Riccardi to see the Magi Chapel? Inside the Convent of San Marco to see the frescoes that decorate the former monks cells? (Many of the famous paintings you've seen in art books decorate the individual cells. It's quite amazing to stumble across so much world-class art in a setting other than a museum.)

If not, these are among the many glories of art and architecture that dot Florence, precisely the "more" you're looking for.

Contact Context Florence for a private -- customized -- walk. The guides of Context are scholars who can share an in-depth explanation of the sites. You'd have to ask Context to arrange limo transportation from Livorno to Florence. (Since the company is best known for its academic, thorough walking tours, few realize they will provide other services like transportation.)

Rome in Limo's name is repeatedly offered on this board. If you want an in-depth tour, you'd have to ask RiL to hire a licensed guide to accompany you inside the sites. For sure, the RiL sedan itself will be worthless once you arrive in Florence. You already know Florence is a pedestrian city.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

No we didn't go inside anything in Florence last time.

That's why we really want to this time, especially after reading the latest Dan Brown.

Mind you it also makes me want to go to Venice again and see that properly.

I know that not all of Florence's beauties are open to the general public and some that are take many hours to see properly, both the art galleries for example.

I will follow your advice and ask about a tour and see what ensues

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got back from our Med cruise and we had an excellent day in Florence . I set up a transfer from Livorno to Florence for 8 of us on the roll call, where 4 couples had their own plans for the day. DH and I visited both Accademia and Uffizi galleries.

The company we used was livornotoflorence.com and the driver/owner is Nicola Scavenna. Nicola offered to get the reservations for us and then helped us pick up our tickets to go right in! It was a great day for all, and' Nico' is just wonderful! Just describe to him what you want to do and he is very good at responding!

Pam