Which Airport Is Closest To New Red Hook Dock In Brooklyn?

CCotton5

I am looking for information about the new Red Hook dock in Brooklyn as we are traveling on the QM2 westbound and will be needing a flight from New York to Dulles Airport in Washington, DC. Which is the closest airport from Red Hook, JFK or LGA?

Thanks,

Christy

JKF is closer. It is approximately 20 kilometers from the Red Hook Terminal. LGA is 24 kilometers.

Therefore, not a big difference -- only 4 kilometers. You may want to choose whichever airport has the best connections to Dulles for the time you want to depart.

If you take a limo from Red Hook, there will probably NOT be a large difference in cost between going to JFK and LGA. Limo is better than taxi if you have a large amount of luggage -- and certainly more comfortable.

FYI, the third major airport in the New York area (EWR) is 31 kilometers from Red Hook, further but not by a large amount.

LGA is 11 Miles whiich is 18 Kilometers. Kennedy depending on which way you go is 24 kilometers by the streets(15 Miles), 32 kilometers(20 miles) by the Van wych to Grand Central to LIE to BQE or 40 Kilometers(25 miles) by the Belt Parkway. Newark EWR is also about 20 miles 32 Kilometers as well. The most expensive Cab ride is from EWR. Running about $90.00 US. LGA should be $30.00 and Kennedy depending on how you go will be 40-70. I live close to Red Hook and have made it to LGA in 20 minutes while Kennedy by the street way is 45 minutes. You can make it faster with no traffic the longer way but it is more expensive and traffic is always a possibility. Limos should be 25-33% more.

here are the mapquest directions from LGA

Driving Directions

1. Start out going NORTHEAST on LA GUARDIA RD. (0.07 miles)

2. Turn SLIGHT LEFT toward TERMINAL A/MARINE AIR TERMINAL/RENTAL CAR RETURNS. (0.06 miles)

3. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto CENTRAL TERMINAL DR. (0.08 miles)

4. Take the AIRPORT EXIT ramp. (0.06 miles)

5. Merge onto GRAND CENTRAL PKWY W toward MANHATTAN. (0.78 miles)

6. Take the BKLYN-QNS EXPWY exit- EXIT 4- toward VERRAZANO NARROWS BR./I-278 W. (0.45 miles)

7. Merge onto BROOKLYN QUEENS EXPY E. (0.50 miles)

8. Merge onto BROOKLYN QUEENS EXPY/I-278 W. (8.77 miles)

9. Take EXIT 27 toward ATLANTIC AVE. (0.06 miles)

10. Keep LEFT at the fork to go on COLUMBIA ST. (0.37 miles)

11. Turn RIGHT onto DEGRAW ST. (0.11 miles)

12. DEGRAW ST becomes VAN BRUNT ST. (0.24 miles)

13. Turn RIGHT onto SUMMIT ST. (0.04 miles)

14. SUMMIT ST becomes IMLAY ST. (0.07 miles)

15. End at [17-60] Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231 US

Total Estimated Time: 19 minutes

Total Distance: 11.67 miles

Kennedy the short street way

From: John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) Jfk International Airport Jamaica, NY 11430 US

To: [17-60] Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231 US

Driving Directions

1. Start out going EAST. (0.19 miles)

2. Turn SLIGHT LEFT. (0.17 miles)

3. Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the ramp toward AIRPORT EXIT/OTHER TERMINALS. (0.08 miles)

4. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto JFK EXPY. (1.33 miles)

5. Take the ramp toward ROCKAWAY BLVD EAST/BELT PKWY WEST/I-678/VAN WYCK EXPWY. (0.17 miles)

6. Take the ramp toward BELT PKWY WEST/I-678/VAN WYCK EXPWY. (0.22 miles)

7. Merge onto NASSAU EXPY. (0.35 miles)

8. Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the RT-27 W/NO CONDUIT AVE ramp toward KENNEDY AIRPORT. (0.27 miles)

9. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto N CONDUIT AVE/NY-27 W. Continue to follow NY-27 W. (2.78 miles)

10. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto N CONDUIT AVE/N CONDUIT BLVD. (1.53 miles)

11. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto ATLANTIC AVE. (6.68 miles)

12. Turn LEFT onto COLUMBIA ST. (0.44 miles)

13. Turn RIGHT onto DEGRAW ST. (0.11 miles)

14. DEGRAW ST becomes VAN BRUNT ST. (0.24 miles)

15. Turn RIGHT onto SUMMIT ST. (0.04 miles)

16. SUMMIT ST becomes IMLAY ST. (0.07 miles)

17. End at [17-60] Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231 US

Total Estimated Time: 40 minutes

Total Distance: 14.68 miles

the longer highway way but the less in miles than the belt parkway way

From: John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) Jfk International Airport Jamaica, NY 11430 US

Driving Directions

1. Start out going EAST. (0.19 miles)

2. Turn SLIGHT LEFT. (0.17 miles)

3. Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the ramp toward AIRPORT EXIT/OTHER TERMINALS. (0.08 miles)

4. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto JFK EXPY. (0.09 miles)

5. Merge onto VAN WYCK EXPY/I-678 N toward AIRPORT EXIT/RETURN TO TERMINALS/LONG TERM PARKING/RENTAL CAR RETURNS. (6.09 miles)

6. Merge onto GRAND CENTRAL PKWY W via EXIT 10 on the LEFT toward LA GUARDIA AIRPORT/TRIBORO BR. (1.98 miles)

7. Take the I-495 W/LI EXPWY exit- EXIT 10- toward MIDTOWN TUN. (0.30 miles)

8. Take the GRAND CENTRAL PKY WEST exit- EXIT 10W. (0.32 miles)

9. Merge onto LONG ISLAND EXPY/I-495 W via the exit on the LEFT. (3.18 miles)

10. Take EXIT 17 toward I-278 W/BKLYN-QUEENS EXPWY/BROOKLYN. (0.96 miles)

11. Merge onto BROOKLYN QUEENS EXPY/I-278 W toward BROOKLYN. (6.36 miles)

12. Take EXIT 27 toward ATLANTIC AVE. (0.06 miles)

13. Keep LEFT at the fork to go on COLUMBIA ST. (0.37 miles)

14. Turn RIGHT onto DEGRAW ST. (0.11 miles)

15. DEGRAW ST becomes VAN BRUNT ST. (0.24 miles)

16. Turn RIGHT onto SUMMIT ST. (0.04 miles)

17. SUMMIT ST becomes IMLAY ST. (0.07 miles)

18. End at [17-60] Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231 US

Total Estimated Time: 31 minutes

Total Distance: 20.62 miles

and last but not least Newark(this takes you the shortest most direct way. Some others will tell you to take the way through staten island)

From: Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) 10 Toler Pl Newark, NJ 07114 US

Driving Directions

1. Start out going NORTH on ramp. (0.45 miles)

2. Take the US-1-9 ramp toward RT-21/NEWARK DOWNTOWN/US-22/I-78. (0.13 miles)

3. Merge onto US-1&9 N/US-9 N/US-1 N. (8.46 miles)

4. US-1&9 N/US-9 N/US-1 N becomes 12TH ST. (0.45 miles)

5. 12TH ST becomes BOYLE PLZ (Portions toll). (0.07 miles)

6. BOYLE PLZ becomes HOLLAND TUNNEL. (1.89 miles)

7. Take EXIT 1 toward RT-9A/WEST ST. (0.04 miles)

8. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto LAIGHT ST. (0.19 miles)

9. Turn LEFT onto WEST SIDE HWY/WEST ST/NY-9A S. Continue to follow WEST SIDE HWY/WEST ST. (0.88 miles)

10. Take the BATTERY TUN exit- EXIT 2- toward I-278/BROOKLYN. (0.28 miles)

11. Merge onto I-478 E (Portions toll). (2.08 miles)

12. Take the HAMILTON AVE exit- EXIT 26. (0.07 miles)

13. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto HAMILTON AVE. (0.12 miles)

14. Turn LEFT onto CLINTON ST. (0.04 miles)

15. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto HAMILTON AVE. (0.54 miles)

16. HAMILTON AVE becomes SUMMIT ST. (0.04 miles)

17. SUMMIT ST becomes IMLAY ST. (0.07 miles)

18. End at [17-60] Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231 US

Total Estimated Time: 26 minutes

Total Distance: 15.82 miles

FYI last saturday the police closed Summit Street so you need to continue one more block to Bowne Street turn right and the entrance to the pier is at Imlay And Bowne street

I do apologize for the mistake in my calculation of the kilometrage to the two airports from Red Hook.

Therefore, disregard my posting above. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I guess it's been too long since I lived in New York to have realized my mistake when posting.

I do apologize for the mistake in my calculation of the kilometrage to the two airports from Red Hook.

Therefore, disregard my posting above. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I guess it's been too long since I lived in New York to have realized my mistake when posting.

No need to apologize. I am just trying to make sure its right myself. I had to get mapquest to make sure. Continental has flights from Dulles to EWR I believe and US Air/America west I think flies to JFK. Delta/US AIr fly to LGA from Reagan....I always though the flights from Washington to JFK were the cheapest.

On one of the other threads they stiill think through Staten Island will be shorter/faster from NJ. The Gowanus/Industry city part is being reconstructed...and is generally a mess. I was off on the EWR one by almost 5 miles!!!!

A little suggestion from a Native New Yorker who travellers through all three airports a lot for business...

LGA is almost always a preferable departure airport. Its always easier to access, is considerable smaller, much better to negotiate, and more likely to have something vagualy like on time departures.

However, there are few flights to Dulles from LGA; that airport is primarily serviced by JFK. A shuttle flight on Delta out of LGA is a very easy and reliably on time method of getting to DC -- so depending on where you live, you might actually be better off flying into National. What time you save getting from the Dulles to home will no doubt be eroded at least somewhat by Kennedy traffic, delays and confusion.

I would tend to take the Belt Parkway. My experience is that it is the most scenic route with the least traffic. So, I would suggest JFK.

But I am talking based on my experiences out of Southern Manhattan. I havent gone out of Red Hook, yet.

By the way, I live in New Jersey under one of the runway approach flyways to Newark airport. But I worked in Manhattan and Brooklyn for three decades in the last century. I did take the Belt Parkway to JFK in 2004.

When I went on the msn.com beta mapping website last week, I got a route to red hook using the Brooklyn Bridge from where I live. The Holland tunnel out of New Jersey. Local streets in NYC to the Brooklyn Bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn. Local streets to Pier 12.

One parting thought: You get great views of New York Harbor and the Verazano Bridge on the Belt Parkway.

This is the way I go but when I posted it on another thread you should have seen the complaining about sending people through the street in lower Manhattan! I also agree that depending on the time of day the Belt may be faster. Personally I take the street way. Its the shortest and least likely to get backed up except where Atlantic Ave crosses Flatbush...

• 1 month later...

Archived