Transportation to Red Hook

bjcanady

We took a cab to the seaport from LGA, it took around an hour as the traffic was unreal, but the fare was still only $35 , the driver was very nice and said it was only a 15 min. ride in good traffic, we retuned to the airport also by cab and it only took about 20 min. and the fare was $30, also very nice driver, we were pleasantly surprised both ways.

We took a cab to the seaport from LGA, it took around an hour as the traffic was unreal, but the fare was still only $35 , the driver was very nice and said it was only a 15 min. ride in good traffic, we retuned to the airport also by cab and it only took about 20 min. and the fare was $30, also very nice driver, we were pleasantly surprised both ways.

Thanks when was this? Was it a weekend or during the week, and at what time of day if you don't mind me asking...

We drove in to Red Hook from CT. Made amazing time on the drive in.

There is quite a line of traffic to enter into the terminal parking area. Moves at a snails pace. Could have been the timing too. As they were disembarking those from the first cruise, plus having new pax coming along with us for the luncheon.

The parking area is great. Ample room. I did get some photos of it to share. (You can check them out on my webshots link)

Those with luggage drove right to curbside to unload the bags. Porters right there OR you could walk a few feet to where they took your luggage.

The drive home however was not so good. Bumper to bumper traffic.

Took us 3.5 hours to get home. Of course it was Friday afternoon traffic too. Still worth every moment :)

We drove in to Red Hook from CT. Made amazing time on the drive in.

There is quite a line of traffic to enter into the terminal parking area. Moves at a snails pace. Could have been the timing too. As they were disembarking those from the first cruise, plus having new pax coming along with us for the luncheon.

The parking area is great. Ample room. I did get some photos of it to share. (You can check them out on my webshots link)

Those with luggage drove right to curbside to unload the bags. Porters right there OR you could walk a few feet to where they took your luggage.

The drive home however was not so good. Bumper to bumper traffic.

Took us 3.5 hours to get home. Of course it was Friday afternoon traffic too. Still worth every moment :)

Thanks for your post. As you know I live in Downtown Brooklyn and I had a summer home in Westbrook Ct(not westpost)...Friday going to CT in the Summer is a bear. It would have been faster to go through Manhattan to CT than the BQE. The fastest in NY is not necessarily the straightest(over the Brooklyn bridge up the east river drive to the Willis Ave Bridge the Major Deegan to cross county expressway to the Hutch to the Merritt)...that being said it could have been problematic too...but the BQE in the morning is a nightmare as is 95.Most of the way listed above is NO TRUCKS allowed(no commercial traffic either) and no toll...

Hi Sid,

Westbook is a lovely area.

I actually took the West Side Highway & did go thru Manhattan passing the piers. Having gone to college in Riverdale (Mt.St.Vincent) I am most comfortable with that route. Prefer the Merritt to I-95 anyday.

Friday afternoons always horrible.

I used to drive in every Sunday to meet the ship in NYC. Some days I could get to the pier in just over 1 hr.

Need to perfect my way to Red Hook now.

Cathy

That's great news - thanks for sharing. How hard was it to get a cab after you got off the ship?

No problem at all, but we were first off the ship, we did the express off as we always carry our luggage off anyway...........we were at the airport friday morning before 8:30 am.................

Thanks when was this? Was it a weekend or during the week, and at what time of day if you don't mind me asking...

We did the inagural cruise..........we arrived at LGA on wed. the 14th around 8:30 am...........arrived at seaport around 10:00 maybe a little later but before 10:30...........when we disembarked on friday we were off the ship and in the cab by 8:00 and at LGA by 8:20.......it was fabulous, but our flight wasn't until 1:59...........so a long wait.....but it was ok.............it was an absolute wonderful cruise for us....................

Thanks for the info. We had been told the cab rate was higher and that the cab would charge a per bag charge for our luggage and that the cab trunks are small. We were adviced to consider a car service instead of a cab...now your post makes us rethink our plans. To cab it or not...that is the question. Can others add their advice and experiences to help us sort out this decision?

I have been checking on the car service this past week for my upcomong cruise on 07/29 on the Crown and I think I have it narrowed down to Arecibo or Cadman car service $29-$35 from LGA to the pier. One, I think Arecibo will not pick up at the pier, I don't know why either.

Both have web sites.

Some others charge $50-$100 so be careful who you pick. I would skip the cab route. :)

Didn't even think of this until sunprincess post --

Passengers that are disembarking from the first cruise

and pax entering lot to find parking spots.

She said "The parking area is great. Ample room."

WOW! With only 500-car parking area. That's fantastic news ! ! ! ....

I have been checking on the car service this past week for my upcomong cruise on 07/29 on the Crown and I think I have it narrowed down to Arecibo or Cadman car service $29-$35 from LGA to the pier. One, I think Arecibo will not pick up at the pier, I don't know why either.

Both have web sites.

Some others charge $50-$100 so be careful who you pick. I would skip the cab route. :)

Thanks for the info. See thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=364991

Other posters also recommended those two car services. How do they work....do you call when you arrive at LGA or reserve a time to meet? Any charges for luggage or per person....there will be two of us.

Whichever service you choose we would love to hear how it worked out and any suggestions....we don't sail until October, but will be flying into LGA arriving about 10:30am on the day of embarkation...hopefully the morning commute will be over and the BQE traffic will be ok.:rolleyes:

That is the thread where I got the names from. You can call a make a reservation or I believe one of them states to give them a call 10-20 minutes before you need them although I would not wait until the last minute like that.

I believe the charge is for the trip total and no extra for luggage, or extra people unless there are more then 4.

I will let you know as I will for sure use 1 or those 2.

I will be arriving on a red eye at 7:00 am and going straight to the port.

Here is pic of the Redhook terminal and the parking lot upon returning on the Crown. Sorry the first is a little dark and the second is slightly blurred.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AYuHLho2cM3eA&notag=1

The line for cabs was nuts, IMO. There were some cranky passengers and this was only half an hour of the first pax disembarking. I can't imagine what it was like later in the day. We just sucked it up and took a town car to JFK. We arrived early enough to get seats on an earlier flight putting us back in Vegas a few hours early.

As for the ride to and from JFK and Red Hook, :eek: I closed my eyes most of the way back to JFk in fear of soiling my shorts! :D That had to be the craziest ride I have ever taken.

Thanks for the info. We had been told the cab rate was higher and that the cab would charge a per bag charge for our luggage and that the cab trunks are small. We were adviced to consider a car service instead of a cab...now your post makes us rethink our plans. To cab it or not...that is the question. Can others add their advice and experiences to help us sort out this decision?

We travel with 2 -21" roll bags and one that is just a bit larger but will still go thru the xray machine at the airport and seaport, and 2 shoulder bags, no added charge..........

we asked the dispatcher at the airport what it should cost to go to the seaport and he said $35-40...........we were very pleased, when we hit the heavy traffic and the slow going we figured we would be stuck with a $100 charge..............not a problem, we were treated very fairly and also the drivers were very polite and personable...........was a real surprise to us.

would do it the same way if we were cruising out of Red Hook again. And LGA is the closet to the seaport.

• 1 month later...

I too will be going on the October cruise, fortunately or unfortunately I will be flying into Newark Airport, the good news is I do not pay for my flights the bad news is it is the farthest airport from Red Hook. We will be flying in the night before and staying at Newark Airport area. I have called many town car companies and they all want $85-90 only way OUCH! Any suggestions or does anyone know how much it would be just to cab it to Brooklyn. I guess I will have to pay the piper in the end but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would even be able to share a town car if someone else is staying int he Newark area. Thanks in advance for your help! Have a Great Day!

I too will be going on the October cruise, fortunately or unfortunately I will be flying into Newark Airport, the good news is I do not pay for my flights the bad news is it is the farthest airport from Red Hook. We will be flying in the night before and staying at Newark Airport area. I have called many town car companies and they all want $85-90 only way OUCH! Any suggestions or does anyone know how much it would be just to cab it to Brooklyn. I guess I will have to pay the piper in the end but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would even be able to share a town car if someone else is staying int he Newark area. Thanks in advance for your help! Have a Great Day!

The ride from Newark is only about 15 min longer than LGA or JFK.

When coming From Newark Airport by cab there is an x-tra $15 added onto the fare for tolls.

You can go to NYC taxi and limo site for prices.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

The ride from Newark is only about 15 min longer than LGA or JFK.

When coming From Newark Airport by cab there is an x-tra $15 added onto the fare for tolls.

You can go to NYC taxi and limo site for prices.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

NYC cabs cannot pick up in NJ, the $15.00 is not added for tolls its added to the meter when taking a cab from NY to Newark. Roundtrip tolls need to be paid. To Redhook the cost is $70.00 plus toll and tip(set rate).

The place to see this www.panynj.gov

Someone on this Board recommended Carmel Car Seervice. I called yesterday for a car from Penn Station to Redhook for tomorrow. The Women on the phone was nice and very patient with a Neophyte like me. They have our cell phone and we have theirs. We get to Penn at 10:35 and the driver will call to pick us up at 11:00. We were told to call them if we get in early. The Rate from Penn Station to Red Hook was $35 + Tolls and Gratuities.

And they will meet us in Red Hook when we return. They asked how many Bags but when I told her 5 Bags for the two of us, shew said it didn't matter.

I was planning the Cab thing but My wife is more comfortable knowing we have a set ride for a set price.

So far very easy and relatively painless.

Archived