vaccine .. would you ?

Reading that there very well could be a vaccine on the horizon, for the dreaded Norovirus which ,

I will say is the scurge of crowded places such as schools and hospitals and not just cruise ships .

Prevention is better than cure and while most of us do wash our hands and use the tongs in the ships self

service food outlets, we still have to put up with people who think its fine to walk away

from the toilets without giving the washbasins a sideways glance ,that goes for male and female .

I hope they do bring a vaccine out if only for the sake of the crew who after all , have to live on these ships for

months at a time running the risk of an outbreak of Norovirus . I hope they get offered it as soon as its safe and available.

Maybe in time to come some cruise firms could insist that you have the vaccine a few weeks before boarding .

The one thing I hope, should a vaccine become available is the people who think that using the tongs for food ,

sticking personal water bottles under the water dispensers and avoiding the wash basins don't think it now would make

their selfish dirty practices ok .

We all know kids and Grand kids can bring it home from schools,which we have little control of :(.

If it comes available would you consider having the vaccine a few weeks before your cruise or simply as a prevention :)?

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16739631-norovirus-why-washing-your-hands-isnt-enough?lite

Can't click on the link for some reason.

First time I did a cruise I was asked if I was a nurse! When I asked why they thought I was a nurse, their reply was, "because of the way you wash your hands"!!!! :eek: ahem no this is the way you should wash your hands, then they turned rounds and said, " no point in washing your hands as you don't know if the person in front of you washed their hands, so the door handle would be dirty - which is true. I then showed them what I did next - paper towel, or hanky from my bag, use that to open the toilet door, hold the door with my foot, throw the hanky/paper towel in the bin, if it is near the door.

What also annoys me at a buffet, is people going back up and using the same plate, again contamination :eek:

I would so long as there weren't any side effects which were potentially more serious than the Norovirus itself for individual patients. In the presence of selfish people who have no regard for their or others' well-being and refuse to take the limited (and according to the article perhaps not very successful) precautions, then all you can do is the best you can to protect yourself.

I'd certainly be willing - and it would be interesting concept if it did become a requirement of travel like health insurance with perhaps certain exemptions on health grounds (I suppose there would be some for whom it wouldn't be a good idea allegies?/existing conditions?).

But by far the biggest resistance would come from Human Rights I would think - not subscribing to be told what to do or making it compulsory. Didn't they have an issue like that some years ago over some childhood vaccinations where they talked about not admitting children to school without certain vaccines having been administered? Might have a faulty memory on this one but seem to remember something like that. Must have been dropped I think as it was never enforced as far as I know. And to an extent whilst some aspect of H.R. issues make me cross, I do have some sympathy with that view - I wouldn't want to be told to have X,Y or Z and it be mandatory. Of course you needn't go on the cruise!!!:D:D I don't think it would become a condition of travel though.

But I would at least choose to have it myself and try to minimise my chances of being ill - and the more who did have a vaccine would presumably help to reduce the incidences on board.

The problem is that you could have a norovirus vaccine today, and in three months time a new strain of the virus could be as widespread as norovirus. It would be impossible to keep up with the ever changing strains of highly contagious viruses.

On the other hand if you were offered a vaccine that could eliminate the chances of contracting a common virus that could spoil the holiday you've been counting down to, then it's something that I'm sure a lot of people would (or should) consider.

I would have the vaccine if one was available but not straight away if there was a choice because I would be the one to drop for any nasty side effect they hadn't discovered.:eek:

I get so annoyed seeing people in toilets not washing their hands but the thing I cannot believe and find utterly disgusting is people taking drinks into the toilet with them YUK. I saw this lots on the Majesty and just thought how disgusting and why would you want to take a drink into the toilet.:eek:

But by far the biggest resistance would come from Human Rights I would think - not subscribing to be told what to do or making it compulsory. Didn't they have an issue like that some years ago over some childhood vaccinations where they talked about not admitting children to school without certain vaccines having been administered? Might have a faulty memory on this one but seem to remember something like that. Must have been dropped I think as it was never enforced as far as I know. And to an extent whilst some aspect of H.R. issues make me cross, I do have some sympathy with that view - I wouldn't want to be told to have X,Y or Z and it be mandatory. Of course you needn't go on the cruise!!!:D:D I don't think it would become a condition of travel though.

I don't know about compulsory vaccinations being suggested recently, but certainly in the 19th century it was illegal not to get your child vaccinated. In fact, my great grandfather was prosecuted for not vaccinating his child. It was reported in Jackson's Oxford Journal! I believe that in the early 20th century the law was ammended to allow parents to opt out. In America ,children are not allowed to start school if they have not been vaccinated -hmm "Land of the free" :rolleyes:

Personally, (and this is probably not a popular view) I don't think too many vaccinations are a good idea. I think we probably need them for serious conditions like polio and diptheria, but children today have so many, that they are not immune to anything. Our bodies need exposure to germs to build up resistance.

The other problem, which has been mentioned, is that people will forget hygene altogether as they will think they are protected.

I was amazed when we were on holiday a few years ago in Bulgaria,that people sneezed over the food and tried the food and put the spoon back:eek::( Three of our party of four had diarrhoea and a terrible cold.

The problem is that you could have a norovirus vaccine today, and in three months time a new strain of the virus could be as widespread as norovirus. It would be impossible to keep up with the ever changing strains of highly contagious viruses.

This is so true! and the same applies to the flu jab!

Also, in the article it says people are still infectious for up to a fortnight, so you could feel better, go back to work or on holiday and still pass it on :eek:

The problem is that you could have a norovirus vaccine today, and in three months time a new strain of the virus could be as widespread as norovirus.

The other problem, which has been mentioned, is that people will forget hygene altogether as they will think they are protected.

Also, in the article it says people are still infectious for up to a fortnight, so you could feel better, go back to work or on holiday and still pass it on :eek:

Agreed , and it's stated in that article that you could be clean and just by eating raw shell fish you could still end up with the virus .

Even a salad or raw vegatable that has not been washed enough could give you the same problem .

Reading an article earlier today and it was telling you about our food chain and how gram of soil holds more bacteria then people

on our planet :eek:

Farmers with vaccines they give to their livestock to protect us , which in turn pass through the animals as manure ,which will have

antibiotics within it , only serve to train the bacteria living in the ground to grow more resitant to our "In use" vaccines .

We plough this back into our land to help our crops grow.To top it all off ,as you say people fearful of losing their jobs turn up at work

stating they feel a little bit better ,running the risk of spreading it further :(

So no real answer to this problem ,apart from as the article ended by saying give your hands a good scrub (the highlandlassie way :))

and not just dip your fingertips under a tap for 2 seconds and we may just avoid it :)

So unless they told me " there is a risk to my life " should I not use the vaccine, then I think I would do without the Norovirus vaccine .

I seem to be doing ok without it after all these years ;)

Archived