Canterbury - A wonderful place for two days post cruise?

cccole

We will be arriving in Dover on June 10 and would like to spend 2-4 days in the English countryside before our next flight. Looking at the map it appears that Canterbury is very close and might be a nice spot. We welcome all comments and suggestions. Thank you, Cherie

:) check National Rail...from Dover (station is Dvp or Dover Priory} to Canterbury for train schedule...we are doing Dover 2days precruise because we wanted to stay in an BnB and be close to the port..trains run from Dover to Gatwick with only 1 change if you are interestd..You could do Dover post cruise and travel to Canterbury on the train for 30mins..Then head back to the airport from Dover :)

kruzin' - That is the kind of experience we are looking for also. I didn't really think about Dover because I was afraid it might be a bit industrial with the port right there. Thank you for the info. I will google Dover. Cherie

What else do you rank special and unique around Canterbury, in addition to its highly-rated Cathedral? We will be staying in Royal Tunbridge Wells for five days before departing on July 24 from Dover. One guide says: "Home to one of the most important cathedrals in England, Canterbury is a beautiful historic city with a medieval centre, full of picturesque side streets, exclusive shops and cosy restaurants and cafes." Is this a fair description? BUT, lots of villages in southern England have nice streets, shops, cafes, etc. Is Canterbury good, very good, excellent or 'best of the best" for many of these and/or other categories? What are the other "can't miss" special that are nearby to Canterbury?

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry, I just googled Canterbury and looked at what was on line. One thing that looked fun was the boat rides through the city. I am also going to look on trip advisor to see what is said there. You are right that sooooooo many English towns and villages are incredibly picturesque and would be great places to stay. I am hoping that someone from the UK will chime in and others who have stayed in the area. Cherie

Canterbury, is OK for a half day. The rest of the time you should look at other places. Hire a car and enjoy the Kent countryside and visit places like Maidstone and Rochester. If you turn off the main highway, you'll see some wonderful villages. If you aren't inclined to drive on the left [which is the right] side of the road, then you can always take the train to London and as I'm sure you know that has so much to see and do!

I am ashamed to say I am one who does not know nearly enough about the local area & have driven through areas rather than stop & visit or be too aware of what is there. However, I would say, Canterbury is a lovely city. It is basically walled with the cars etc running along the ring road outside. It's perfect for a stroll through the streets, a boat ride & a visit to the Cathedral. Dover Castle & the White Cliffs experience have been enjoyed by my children on schooltrips although I have never visited personally.

A car would be perfect as distances are not great. I'm not too much a fan of Maidstone or Rochester although Leeds Castle near Maidstone is worth a visit.A drive from Maidstone towards the dreaded M25 around London will also bring you to Hever Castle, the birth home of Anne Boleyn. Rochester is the birthplace of Dickens and they have recently opened a new attraction..Dickens' World. Again, no personal experience, sorry..it is on my son's wish list.

The harbour town of Whitstable, famous for it's oysters is easily accessable from Canterbury & further along the coast there are seaside towns, Herne Bay, Margate, Ramsgate are the larger ones, with smaller areas of Birchington, Westgate on Sea, Broadstairs in between. The beaches are pebbly in the Whitstable/Herne Bay areas, but become sandy from Birchington onwards. Birchington & Westgate have lovely beaches & are lesser known. Margate I feel is a bigger tourist town but a bit run down. Ramsgate, further along the coast & quite close to Dover is a harbour town with a sandy beach area.

There is also Howletts Zoo & Port Lympe Wild Life park close by.

There are one two nice villages between Canterbury & Dover, but most in North Kent are off the beaten track. There are others, Pluckley being perhaps the main example, in the South of the County.

Edit: Just remembered..you can also visit the brewery in Faversham & sample the beer. (Havent tried this either!) Kent is of course also famous for it's hop growing, I have been told there are only a few areas in the world where hops are grown.

There are many tourists who stay in and around Canterbury, and in my opinion it is a great place for a short break. Lovely restaurants, great shopping and a nice buzz about the place. There is no traffic in the actual centre of the city which is medieval, and the Cathedral is stunning. And I live only 15 miles away! I visit there a lot and never get tired of it. Not too far away is Whitstable which is a lovely place to visit for some sea air. I would also recommend Faversham which has an old world charm and a fantastic brewery. It is only on train stop away! Faversham has the oldest market building in the country.

Sparky1664 - If you can recommend a country inn or b&b I would very much appreciate it. Thank you so much for your comments. I will be traveling with 4 young adults. Cherie

Ah, I have a little problem with this one as I have never needed to use one. I can really do no more than google & check trip advisor like you. The only advantage I would have would maybe with the area. It also depends on whether you will have a car or will be relying on public transport, whether you would prefer a pub, a cottage or farmhouse etc. There is a list here (from google) to get you started.

http://www.aroundcanterbury.co.uk/around.php?pa=56

Sandwich is a nice town, Wingham is too but smaller.

If you are using public transport, you would be better staying in Canterbury itself. It will depend also on your budget..lol, I just found this..http://www.guestaccom.co.uk/198.htm (remembering you'll have to double the £ for the $ price.:eek: ). That is not in the centre itself though, but a short bus ride.

Now I've just found this..http://www.canterburycathedrallodge.org/:eek: :eek: if you want to blow your budget.

Tripadvisor links here which should give you a better price range.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186311-Canterbury_Kent_England-Hotels.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186311-c2-Canterbury_Kent_England-Hotels.html

A slight correction on my previous post. When I spoke about the beach at Birchington I really meant Minnis Bay. They are actually linked together & Birchington is the train station for Minnis Bay. (Buses run to Birchington/Westgate/Margate directly from Canterbury too...the number 8 I think from Canterbury bus station). Birchington does have a beach, but it is below the cliffs. Minnis Bay has a long sandy stretch with direct access, but there is nothing much there, a pub & a cafe a large green area & then it is residential behind there.

Also a disclaimer about the beer if you try the brewery tour. I hail from the North of England originally, where we believe the beer is far superior. Southern beer is flat & warm to the Northener..my DH & DS have transferred to drinking guinness.

I'd better scuttle off now, I can see bluebelle behind me with a big stick.;)

Ah, what you don't know is that I am actually from Scotland!! I am not that much of a beer drinker actually but don't mind trying them just to see if I like them!! Don't really mind if it hails from the north or the south!! It's all good!

Ah, I have a little problem with this one as I have never needed to use one. I can really do no more than google & check trip advisor like you. The only advantage I would have would maybe with the area. It also depends on whether you will have a car or will be relying on public transport, whether you would prefer a pub, a cottage or farmhouse etc. There is a list here (from google) to get you started.

http://www.aroundcanterbury.co.uk/around.php?pa=56

Sandwich is a nice town, Wingham is too but smaller.

If you are using public transport, you would be better staying in Canterbury itself. It will depend also on your budget..lol, I just found this..http://www.guestaccom.co.uk/198.htm (remembering you'll have to double the £ for the $ price.:eek: ). That is not in the centre itself though, but a short bus ride.

Now I've just found this..http://www.canterburycathedrallodge.org/:eek: :eek: if you want to blow your budget.

Tripadvisor links here which should give you a better price range.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186311-Canterbury_Kent_England-Hotels.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186311-c2-Canterbury_Kent_England-Hotels.html

A slight correction on my previous post. When I spoke about the beach at Birchington I really meant Minnis Bay. They are actually linked together & Birchington is the train station for Minnis Bay. (Buses run to Birchington/Westgate/Margate directly from Canterbury too...the number 8 I think from Canterbury bus station). Birchington does have a beach, but it is below the cliffs. Minnis Bay has a long sandy stretch with direct access, but there is nothing much there, a pub & a cafe a large green area & then it is residential behind there.

Also a disclaimer about the beer if you try the brewery tour. I hail from the North of England originally, where we believe the beer is far superior. Southern beer is flat & warm to the Northener..my DH & DS have transferred to drinking guinness.

I'd better scuttle off now, I can see bluebelle behind me with a big stick.;)

Sparky1664 - If you can recommend a country inn or b&b I would very much appreciate it. Thank you so much for your comments. I will be traveling with 4 young adults. Cherie

Try the Dog Inn Wingham nr Canterbury. Great food and reasonable accommodation. www.thedoginn.co.uk They do family rooms as well, have won:) lots of awards etc! and near Canterbury Centre.

:) we are staying in Dover at the East Lee guest house tel # (0) 01304 210 176 for 65 pounds for 2/ per night .they are across the street from the bus station ( hook up here for local trips) and they will let you leave your luggage if you get in early and want to sightsee before their checkin time .the lady that owns the bnb is mrs knight:)

kruzin' - That is the kind of experience we are looking for also. I didn't really think about Dover because I was afraid it might be a bit industrial with the port right there. Thank you for the info. I will google Dover. Cherie

Thank you to everyone!!!!!! I think that Canterbury and the surrounding area sound wonderful. I am looking into all of the options mentioned and will post our final plans. If I can ever help with your plans to Southern California or Hawaii please email me at cherieclarkcole@yahoo.com. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the responses. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cherie

THANKS to bluebelle, lord of the sea, sparky1664 and elphin, etc., for the various comments and suggestion! Have copied and saved those ideas to my trip file. Keep the ideas and suggestions rolling. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If you have time in Dover, be sure to visit the castle. The underground tunnels that were made to house the government during the war are fascinating.

THANKS! Have heard that and will add that tip to the list. Terry in Ohio

Archived