Current Spirit Formal Night Dress.

Hello, my wife and I and our friends are going on the Spirit cruise Spanish Sunsets, leaving Malaga on the 26th of June, only six days time.

We are all set to take our dinner suits for the formal night but now my friends wife has thrown a spanner in the works by saying that not many men dress in black tie anymore on the Thomson ships and we would be ok and save luggage weight by just going in long trousers and shirt and tie and possible a jacket. What is the current position regarding men's dress on the formal nights.

We do want to eat in the main dining room.

Campolady, you have not been long back from the Spirit what was it like when you were on the ship?

Hello, my wife and I and our friends are going on the Spirit cruise Spanish Sunsets, leaving Malaga on the 26th of June, only six days time.

We are all set to take our dinner suits for the formal night but now my friends wife has thrown a spanner in the works by saying that not many men dress in black tie anymore on the Thomson ships and we would be ok and save luggage weight by just going in long trousers and shirt and tie and possible a jacket. What is the current position regarding men's dress on the formal nights.

We do want to eat in the main dining room.

Campolady, you have not been long back from the Spirit what was it like when you were on the ship?

We came off Spirit 2 weeks ago.

Before we sailed I asked about dress at night times and was told (on FB not on here) that no women wore long dresses as they are no longer in fashion in the UK and that very few men wore formal attire on the formal night. Despite this, as dressing smart for dinner is part of cruising for us, I took several long dresses and Hubby took his DJ.

On the formal night there were more men in evening attire than we have seen on any other Thomson ship and many women, like me, wore long dresses every evening.

Take your DJs and do your ladies proud.

By the way, in the MDR try and get a table belonging to Larry and Jude; we have always had good service in Thomson ship MDRs but these two, and our wine waiter Mario, took attention to another level.

Edited by campolady

We have always found that people in the MDR dress for dinner as you say it's part of, IMO, the cruise experience. It may be the the replies on FB were referring to the Lido restaurant. If you are concerned about weight you can buy 5kg for £18 & you can divide this with your fellow travelers😉

Thanks for your help guys, I think I will take my DJ after all.

Just one bit of a problem I tried my dress trousers on after it being being two years since I last wore them and seems they have shrunk in the wardrobe. Its funny all my other trousers seem to have shrunk as well. Looks like I will have to eat less on the Gala Night.

Thanks again.