Nellie's Beach Cabana #9 or #10?

bling19572010

We have a cabana reserved for our February 2015 cruise and I have reserved an accessible cabana. It is my understanding that there are only 2 accessible cabanas - No. 9 & No. 10. Which would be the best for privacy and a view of the ship. I would like a little sun and shade both on the cabana's balcony. Which would you chose based on my criteria? No. 9 or No. 10?

Also, are you now able to reserve/rent a beach wheelchair? If that is possible, how do you go about renting one? Thanks so much!

We have a cabana reserved for our February 2015 cruise and I have reserved an accessible cabana. It is my understanding that there are only 2 accessible cabanas - No. 9 & No. 10. Which would be the best for privacy and a view of the ship. I would like a little sun and shade both on the cabana's balcony. Which would you chose based on my criteria? No. 9 or No. 10?

Also, are you now able to reserve/rent a beach wheelchair? If that is possible, how do you go about renting one? Thanks so much!

We had #10 three years ago. It is the first cabana in the line along that part of Nellie's Beach. Looking at the Beach from the water, #10 in the first cabana on your right hand side of the Beach. As far as which one is better, they are both the same. They use the same ramp down to the water and the view of the ship would be the same from both of them. I would not say that either one is better than the other. Privacy is the same also. People walk along behind the cabanas to get to the ones further down the row but no one walks in front of any of the them. #10 is right next to the public beach area but you are raised up so no one can see into your cabana. # 9 might be a bit more private but not enough to worry about. We ended up with #10 because we were the last ones to report to the beach that day to get our cabana and that was the one that was left. I really enjoyed the ramp down to the water since the other cabanas had either step or ladders to use to get into the water. Our entry was much nicer and easier.

As far as the Beach wheelchair, I would check with RCCI Accessible Department to see if they are available to rent there on Labadee. I did see some around the beach area so I would assume they are available. Since we did not need one, I don't have any first hand information.

We had #10 three years ago. It is the first cabana in the line along that part of Nellie's Beach. Looking at the Beach from the water, #10 in the first cabana on your right hand side of the Beach. As far as which one is better, they are both the same. They use the same ramp down to the water and the view of the ship would be the same from both of them. I would not say that either one is better than the other. Privacy is the same also. People walk along behind the cabanas to get to the ones further down the row but no one walks in front of any of the them. #10 is right next to the public beach area but you are raised up so no one can see into your cabana. # 9 might be a bit more private but not enough to worry about. We ended up with #10 because we were the last ones to report to the beach that day to get our cabana and that was the one that was left. I really enjoyed the ramp down to the water since the other cabanas had either step or ladders to use to get into the water. Our entry was much nicer and easier.

As far as the Beach wheelchair, I would check with RCCI Accessible Department to see if they are available to rent there on Labadee. I did see some around the beach area so I would assume they are available. Since we did not need one, I don't have any first hand information.

Thanks so much for responding to my questions. Your information was very helpful!!

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd share my experience about the cabana. We rented #10 in March of 2016. My son uses a 400 lb powerchair and had no problem getting through the sand to access the cabana. He was able to use the cabana just fine. He could not access the upper level of the cabana as there was a small step; however we purchased a set of 2 foot portable ramps (http://www.adaptivespecialties.com/ez-access-suitcase-singlefold-as-ramp.aspx) that weigh 6 lbs each that we travel with and with those ramps he was able to get to the area where was the couch was. For a Powerchair #10 is a much better cabana. #9's ramp that leads into the cabana cuts into the bottom area and takes away from the area in which the chair could turn around. Our friends rented #9 and they were in manual chairs and a scooter and had no problem getting through the sand. The attendant was great and brought us drinks. One thing I didn't know was that your drink package you purchased on board is also good on the island so make sure and utilize it. I don't know if this is standard practice but since there were three disabled people between the two cabana's they left a beach wheelchair at our two cabanas for us to use. At the beginning of the day we just asked the attendant to get us a beach wheelchair and he got it for us. Money well spent to have shade, a fan, couches, chairs, water, direct water access, etc. Here is a picture I found online that shows the cabanas and the numbers. When you request the cabanas you can request a specific number; however, when you get on the ship you need to go directly to the excursion desk to make sure they assigned you the number you wanted as the excursion desk on the ship does the final assigning of cabana numbers.

2128662413_hattiaccessiblecabanas.jpg.b353ea99e863a4a1cd2ad2badb8ec097.jpg

The "sand chairs" aren't available to rent...they will take you in them to where you want to go...but you can't keep it...others might need it.

Bahama sand is pretty firm...it's not like many "sloggy" beaches, where the sand is squishy and hard to walk in....this is ground up coral, for the most part...it's pretty firm.