Free things to do

milliesimmons

While technically, the loungers are most beach clubs in Mahahual are "free" you are expected to buy something to eat or drink. At one time the "minimum" $ expected was around $10, but that may be different now.

I believe you can still occupy the loungers on the small beach and around the pool at the cruise port with paying a charge. I could be in error on this as I typically try to avoid these places. But the use of loungers may be "controlled" by the restaurant/ bar establishments there.

What you can do for free is walk. You can walk from the cruise port to the malecon and then walk the malecon the whole way, Or take a taxi/bus to the malecon and then walk it. If the weather is nice, it's basically a walk along a long beach. However, along the malecon itself you will be "attacked" every 3 feet by hawkers for lounge chairs and locals selling "local" items most likely made in China. Just something to be aware of. So it you decide to walk, head toward the water as soon as you can.

• 1 month later...

There is a pool and hammocks right in the port.

There is no charge for them, although you are expected to buy ~something~ even if its just a 3 dollar water.

If you are planning on doing any shopping in the port, be advised there is no Duty Free shop there, and the shops have a LOT of bartering room in thier asking prices. (ie asking 40 bucks for 10 dollar sunglasses, and 50 for 25 dollar hammocks)

There is a pool and hammocks right in the port.

There is no charge for them, although you are expected to buy ~something~ even if its just a 3 dollar water.

If you are planning on doing any shopping in the port, be advised there is no Duty Free shop there, and the shops have a LOT of bartering room in thier asking prices. (ie asking 40 bucks for 10 dollar sunglasses, and 50 for 25 dollar hammocks)

Thank You! I knew there was a pool but didnt know about the charge