Value for the money

mirocater

Hi all,

After some misgivings, I decided to bite the bullet, and booked the MSC Opera for a 7 day February 12 sailing. After I paid the Invoice, I did some math:

Here are the costs per day (for two passengers) for the three cruises that we took this year. They were all in ‘balcony suites’. The costs include taxes, but not air transportation or insurances:

GM2 (Princess Grill) $ 1,040 / day

Crystal Serenity $ 640 / day

RSS Mariner $ 599 / day

Opera $ 537 / day

Now QM2 was clearly ridiculously expensive, (inaugural voyage and all that), and those prices will not last. I certainly will not pay that much money again.

What is interesting is how little difference in price there is between a 6-star line (such as Crystal and Radisson), where you get superb (almost) everything, and the price for Opera. Granted: the cost for Opera is category 11, while RSS and Crystal categories are about ½ up their price range. The size of the staterooms is about the same (I think – have no idea about Opera). The service – from what I can tell so far about Opera, is dramatically lower.

Let us compare Seven Seas Mariner and Opera. The difference is about $60 / day. In an average day, we went through a six-pack of Coke, four or five espressos or cappuccinos, a bottle of mineral water, and several glasses of wine with dinner. We also finished off, or carried off the ship two bottles of liquor that were given to us at the beginning of the cruise. All of the above was included in the price, as were the gratuities.

I am not sure what Opera would charge for all that, but more than likely about $30 - $40 / day. Was it worth to spend the other $20 on superb service (and – yes, new bed sheets every night), and for the ability to go to dinner when I wanted and sat where I wanted? (In case of Opera, my dining ‘gong’ time is ‘on request’: asking for a table for two is unthinkable!)

Any thoughts?

MC

Hi all,

After some misgivings, I decided to bite the bullet, and booked the MSC Opera for a 7 day February 12 sailing. After I paid the Invoice, I did some math:

Here are the costs per day (for two passengers) for the three cruises that we took this year. They were all in ‘balcony suites’. The costs include taxes, but not air transportation or insurances:

GM2 (Princess Grill) $ 1,040 / day

Crystal Serenity $ 640 / day

RSS Mariner $ 599 / day

Opera $ 537 / day

Now QM2 was clearly ridiculously expensive, (inaugural voyage and all that), and those prices will not last. I certainly will not pay that much money again.

What is interesting is how little difference in price there is between a 6-star line (such as Crystal and Radisson), where you get superb (almost) everything, and the price for Opera. Granted: the cost for Opera is category 11, while RSS and Crystal categories are about ½ up their price range. The size of the staterooms is about the same (I think – have no idea about Opera). The service – from what I can tell so far about Opera, is dramatically lower.

Let us compare Seven Seas Mariner and Opera. The difference is about $60 / day. In an average day, we went through a six-pack of Coke, four or five espressos or cappuccinos, a bottle of mineral water, and several glasses of wine with dinner. We also finished off, or carried off the ship two bottles of liquor that were given to us at the beginning of the cruise. All of the above was included in the price, as were the gratuities.

I am not sure what Opera would charge for all that, but more than likely about $30 - $40 / day. Was it worth to spend the other $20 on superb service (and – yes, new bed sheets every night), and for the ability to go to dinner when I wanted and sat where I wanted? (In case of Opera, my dining ‘gong’ time is ‘on request’: asking for a table for two is unthinkable!)

Any thoughts?

MC

Sounds like you paid too much for MSC. MSC doesn't claim to be a luxury line like RSSC, Crystal, or Cunard so you should not expect the same type of experience regardless of what you are paying.

If the cost is about the same on RSSC, why not just book with them again? It sounds like you are already setting yourself up for disappointment by sailing on MSC. I have sailed on Silversea and have priced out RSSC and Crystal ... and I can say without a doubt it's far more expensive to cruise on those lines compared to what I'm paying for a standard outside cabin on MSC .... even with tips and drinks included.

Ernie

WHAT???????????

I haven't paid that high on Seabourn!!! Geesh...I have friends on Seabourn right now 14 nights over Christmas and New Year's.... paying much, much less for an all inclusive, luxury holiday cruise.

Good God......you could book a full suite on HAL for that kind of per diem.

As much as I love Rick Sasso to bits.......his Opera does not warrant that high of a per diem.. even in the suite category. The Cat 11 is not a real suite, just a large balcony cabin.

I think you should have done more homework. Oh.. and normally per diems are quoted per person. The non-discounted rate for the Cat 11 on Feb 12 is $1945pp. Per diem is $277.

WHAT???????????

I haven't paid that high on Seabourn!!! Geesh...I have friends on Seabourn right now 14 nights over Christmas and New Year's.... paying much, much less for an all inclusive, luxury holiday cruise.

Good God......you could book a full suite on HAL for that kind of per diem.

As much as I love Rick Sasso to bits.......his Opera does not warrant that high of a per diem.. even in the suite category. The Cat 11 is not a real suite, just a large balcony cabin.

I think you should have done more homework. Oh.. and normally per diems are quoted per person. The non-discounted rate for the Cat 11 on Feb 12 is $1945pp. Per diem is $277.

OK - perhaps I was not clear, but our numbers agree. I was showing the numbers for two people in a cabin.

So: $1,945 x 2 / 7 = $556 or so.

I am going on this cruise to join a group of relatives. I guess I am REALLY setting myself up. Why do I have second thoughts?

Thanks for your replies,

Miro

The Opera is an incredible value in the inside and outside categories. There are so few balcony and suite cabins that they are very overpriced for what you are getting. An interesting study would be to look at the per diem of an inside cabin on MSC compared to other premiums (it would easily beat mainstreams as well)

Michael

YOU ARE REALLY OVERPAYING.

I'M BOOKED FOR FEB 5 OPERA. BASED ON 2 ADULTS OUR OCEAN VIEW IS $68.00 DAILY EACH OR. i COULD OF BOOKED A BALCONY FOR $83.00 PER DAY EACH BUT WE DECIDED TO BRING THE KIDS AND CAN'T GET A BALCONY FOR 4.

IF YOU INCLUDE THE KIDS AND AVERAGE THE COST (THE KIDS ARE CHEAPER) WE ARE PAYING $63.00 PER DAY EACH ($250 PER DAY FOR ALL OF US).

YOUR PAYING ALOT. TAKE A LOOK AT SKYAUCTION.COM

Hi Exbrit,

Did you book your 2/5 cruise through SkyAuction.com? Just curious as to how reliable it is to bid or buy through them? I saw an excellent price for a Celebrity cruise in March (to buy) & wondered whether it would be safe to use them. How do they work? Do they get blocks of cabins & then put them out to bid? We are looking for 2 or 3 cabins & most of the bids seem to only have a quantity of 2 to bid on.

Thanks for your help. Enjoy your cruise.

Happy New Year!

We booked with Skyauction as well. Took about 4 weeks, because we kept seeing people WAY OVERBID. Skyauction does not always include port charges in the bids. So you need to keep that in mind. So when we bid for the Opera (eastern) I knew that Cruisequick could get us inside with $495pp including Port. So with Skyauction adding $226 as Port charges that meant that meant that any bid higher than $269 was essentially paying the going rate. We finally got our win at about $200 pp then added the upgrade to Balcony for $100 pp. So we are on the Opera for under $600 pp for 7 days!

So Mimi. . . Look carefully at the terms. (Also read Skyauction's FAQ, they say that If you win, you MAY be able to add additional cabins at the same price if they are available)

So did we get a good deal??? :D

Hi Mapsmith,

Thanks for your reply. I was a bit confused when I was on SkyAuction's website today. Your info clarifies things for me. So I guess that you need to know your basic price b4 you bid on anything in order to see if it's a good deal. I would also like to know if they sell cruises less than the cruiseline's prices & are going against the new policies of not selling less than cruiseline prices. Seems like it comes out at the same price if they do not include port charges. We also have to factor in our airfare (which we would have to do w/ any cruiseline).

I would say you got an excellent deal! Way to go! Maybe you'd like to find a cruise for me! LOL.

Happy cruising & Happy New Year!

MiMi

Glad to be of help MiMi. As to the undercutting of prices and violations of Carnival and RCCI policies, I think that most of the RCCI prices come out to about the same as all advertised. They are also not really advertising since often unaware bidders pay over the advertised price. (I saw one of the Opera Auctions go for $350. That plus the 226 port charges puts the winning bid over $100 over the readily advertised price of other agencies.

I believe that Sky Auction buys blocks of rooms and then sells them at auction rather than return them to the Cruise Line. This, in turn, allows them to negotiate even better terms with the cruise line. (Sort of like WalMart buying up all of a factory's products during a three week period to get an additional discount) So with the discounts from the cruise lines and people paying more than they really have to, skyauction comes out ahead.

BUT, the really great deals are for cruises leaving later in the week. For example if you are in Miami, there are frequently cruises that leave on the next weekend that go CHEAP. I saw a 10 Horizon Cruise out of Tampa (I think) that was being offered for $245 plus $199 Port. That totals up to less than $500 for a 10 Horizon.

Sky Auction has been putting the Opera up for bid for January (and February/March) for the past 6 weeks about two to four auctions each 3 days. Most have been selling for about $200-$250 plus Port. Most other sites show the Opera sold out. But skyauction seems to have a lot of availability.

Go into the auction with your eyes wide open and some knowledge of what is the appropriate amount. Sort of like bidding on Priceline.

I believe that Sky Auction buys blocks of rooms and then sells them at auction rather than return them to the Cruise Line. This, in turn, allows them to negotiate even better terms with the cruise line. (Sort of like WalMart buying up all of a factory's products during a three week period to get an additional discount) So with the discounts from the cruise lines and people paying more than they really have to, skyauction comes out ahead.

sky auction is actually selling the cabins for MSC. Skyauction is owned by a marketing company. They take unsold vacations and sell them. Then the funds are used to market the hotel/cruise line/airline etc...

The idea is that a hotel has so many unsold rooms per day (ie 3%) skyauction sells these rooms for marketing dollars and in theory the marketing costs the hotel nothing.

Yes skyauction is reliable I have used them numerous times. Yes you do have to be aware of what you are bidding when it comes to their cruises and allinclusive's but you can get a great deal.

Your Travel Agent did you no favours at all and that is for certain.

¨

For a category 11 balcony cabin on Deck 12 Ponte LaBoheme transtatlantic departing 2nd April we are paying something like 66% less than the daily rate you paid. Perhaps by time you booked there were so few Category 11 remaining that they decided to charge premium rate.

We booked through a USA agent as that was much less than in Europe. The rate quoted in Europe would be roughly equal to that you paid.

Your Travel Agent did you no favours at all and that is for certain.

¨

For a category 11 balcony cabin on Deck 12 Ponte LaBoheme transtatlantic departing 2nd April we are paying something like 66% less than the daily rate you paid. Perhaps by time you booked there were so few Category 11 remaining that they decided to charge premium rate.

We booked through a USA agent as that was much less than in Europe. The rate quoted in Europe would be roughly equal to that you paid.

Thanks czechmate - that really made my day!

I just paid for the &%$# thing!

:(

Just reading through some of the posts on this board you can tell there are Travel Agents and there are "Travel Agents".

Some clearly do not care about their customers, are pretty ignorant on many travel matters and could not be trusted to book a bus ticket.

Did you not think to get a few competitive quotes before booking?

WOW! I am such a happy bunny as I did a few sums since my previous post!

For what I am paying MSC for the 18night transatlantic Opera crossing on 2nd April in my Category 11 balcony cabin I could have had 3days on QM2 or round 5 to 5.5 days on Crystal/RSS.

TOP MARKS go to MSC giving value for money!!

Well that is if Sasso does not ruin the previously excellent product in the coming 3 months.

Miro not to rub it in - but we have a written guarantee that we will have table for 2, second sitting for dinner and L'Approdo restaurant.

If things are not dragged down to suit the plastic/neon brigade and remain as in previous years then I have not the slightest doubt that the service we will receive on MSC will be up there with the very best - just as experienced in the past.

I do not need clean sheets everyday (and have hygiene standards to equal some and surpass a great many Americans) nor do I need chocolates on my pillows!!

I always recall on a business staying on the Exceutive Floor of a 5* hotel

where the chocolates placed on the pillow nightly came with the compliments of "The girls wishing you Sweet Dreams" and included a phone number. "Sweet Dreams" being the local bordello/massage parcel! That to me so summed up the tackiness of the whole business of chocolates on pillows.

Archived