Scockets aboard Discovery

Over the years I've managed to accumulate a variety of adaptors, but have now convinced myself that for holiday hotels and cruises an extension socket is the best option.

I rigged up a UK 3 gang extension socket to a Schuko (aka Euro) plug using a Euro plug kettle lead bought off the internet for a few pounds - just snip off the kettle end connector and replace the existing lead of your UK extension socket - 2, 3 or 4 gang, as preferred.

The advantage of such a combination is that the cable has a moulded Euro plug which comes grounded (earthed) and can be used for equipment that must be earthed, such as hair dryers and curling tongs etc.

Alternatively, you could just buy a Schuko plug from the internet (Ebay has them) and replace the 3 pin UK plug - however I find the earth connection on Schuko plugs awkward to secure, hence my preference.

The last time I wired a Schuko plug to a British lead I ended up sandwiching the earth wire under a small brass washer (between the clamping screw and plug body) to ensure it was a sound fit - can't compromise on safety.

3%20gang%20extension%20socket%20with%20Euro%20Schuko%20plug_zps3jsrgbsd.jpg