Hire car in dunedin

cassiw

We are booked with Dunedin Car Hire on Nov 30. Cost is NZ$145 for late model Toyota Corolla - 9.00am to 4.00pm. We intend heading to Moraki boulders and around as we have already visited Dunedin last year for several nights. Will be on the Zaandam from Sydney

We are booked with Dunedin Car Hire on Nov 30. Cost is NZ$145 for late model Toyota Corolla - 9.00am to 4.00pm. We intend heading to Moraki boulders and around as we have already visited Dunedin last year for several nights. Will be on the Zaandam from Sydney

Thanks for that information, will look into them, we haven't been to Dunedin before, having been there where would you suggest to go, I did see the Moraki boulders and that sounded interesting or is the scenery on the Peninsula a must do at first. Also where are you picking the car up from, are they meeting you at Port Chalmers.

Hi,

We have recently booked with Pegasus Car Rental Dunedin. Cost for car pickup/dropoff at the port was NZ$122.50, but then we altered to a people mover for NZ$172.50. Have used them before on previous trips, honest, reliable, very good cars, top service.

Jen

Hi,

We have recently booked with Pegasus Car Rental Dunedin. Cost for car pickup/dropoff at the port was NZ$122.50, but then we altered to a people mover for NZ$172.50. Have used them before on previous trips, honest, reliable, very good cars, top service.

Jen

Hi,

We used Pegasus last year - just be careful with them.

The first couple of cars we had were great and then went downhill from there. By the time we got to Port Chalmers, the ship was late getting in and they had already taken off with our car. We rang them and they dropped it back before we got off the ship - left the keys under the mat on the front floor!

We found the car - nothing like what we requested. We asked for late model - their idea was an 80s station wagon that had no power steering and hardly any brakes and very little tread on the wheels.

We drove to Dunedin, went to the Cadbury Factory then drove straight back and dropped the car at the pier. We never saw anyone from Pegasus for this rental so couldn't report anything until we came back to Australia. We couldn't drive any further than we did, it was too dangerous and just too damn hard.

Very sad considering we asked for a small car such as a hatch, late model (expected atleast 2005 onwards).

Others we had from Pegasus were fantastic, Auckland were fantastic, so was Tauranga, Wellington was good, but after that, downhill.

Oh, I find that surprising, as we have used them many times, even on land based whilst in NZ, so do find this surprising. I really hope we are luckier than you....let you know in 6 weeks....thanks.

Jen

Hi again

I also had a quote from Pegasus but chose Dunedin car hire as I wanted to make sure we had a relatively late model - they say 2008+ from memory. I have no experience with either so will just hope all will be ok. We have booked with Thrifty for Tauranga but they were significantly more expensive for Dunedin (largely the pick-up and drop off fee at Port Chalmers)

We have pick-up and drop-off at Port Chalmers and they have said they will keep a watch on docking time.

You asked about seeing the peninsula - if it was my first time there I would certainly be doing that plus in and around Dunedin. There is plenty to see to take up the time the ship is docked. We also did a wildlife tour and cruise with Monarch which we enjoyed.

June

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old topic, but has anyone used Dunedin car hire and reported back how they were?

I can only find posts by people who booked them, but nothing about how they were.

Seeing this thread has come up again, I wish to tell you of our experience with Pegasus in Dunedin. Keep in mind, we have used this company before elsewhere in NZ, with excellent results. We will not use Pegasus again in Dunedin, as they charged our credit card after our cruise, and with no explanation. When I emailed them, I received a very curt reply that it was for a full tank of fuel. I replied that we did infact fill the van up, but this was to no avail. Not only did we fill it up, we washed the exterior as well, as it had been raining earlier in the day. We had 4 other witnesses to this. I never heard back. Was not happy at all.

I read your post about Pegasus, and would not use them for that reason. However Thrifty do not offer port pick-up on a Sunday, the day we are there, so now I'm a bit stuck on who to use.

I have tried googling the Dunedin car hire people are mentioning, and I can't even find a website for them.

I read your post about Pegasus, and would not use them for that reason. However Thrifty do not offer port pick-up on a Sunday, the day we are there, so now I'm a bit stuck on who to use.

I have tried googling the Dunedin car hire people are mentioning, and I can't even find a website for them.

Perhaps this is it. Try http://www.dunedinrentalcars.co.nz

Not sure, but web site comes up as Dunedin Car Hire.

Jen

Be prepared.

For some reason, even in comparison to a high cost country like Australia, they charge like they are expecting you to single handed solve their debt and spending problem alone. I've never seen such high prices for pretty average conditioned cars before......

Archived