Progreso ideas

jkbecker4

Hi all! This will be DH and my second time to visit Progreso. The first time we just stayed by the pier, shopped, got a massage and hung out on the beach. This time we'd like to go see ruins, eat at a good restaurant for lunch and end the day with some nice beach time with good margaritas. I've seen that most of the ruins are a few hours away so looks like we need to stay close and go to Dzibilchaltun. Then to lunch and beach. Who would you recommend using for the tour and what beach?

Thank you!!

I will be in Progreso on Feb17, I've read on these forums that Uxmal ruins is really cool because you can climb the stairs on the ruins. Bus ride is 1.75 hrs away. I booked with Auto Progreso, $49. I can't wait!

I've been to Chichen Itza, it is 2 hrs bus ride. It is a 7th wonder of the world, pretty cool.

If you are going to ruins, go to Uxmal. Chichen Itza gets all the publicity, but Uxmal is where you want to go for the best experience. You get to climb all over the place while that's not true elsewhere. There is a restaurant there too.

If you are going to ruins, go to Uxmal. Chichen Itza gets all the publicity, but Uxmal is where you want to go for the best experience. You get to climb all over the place while that's not true elsewhere. There is a restaurant there too.

How far away is Uxmal from the pier?

jkbecker4.....Last time we were in Progresso we used Autoprogresso and did the Combo Tour $39 (which includes going to Dzibilchaltun). We really enjoyed the tour and they have a beautiful cenote there. When we got back to Merida we were dropped off and had time to see a little of the city and do some shopping. The bus then picked us back up at the meeting location and took us back to Progresso. From there you take their shuttles back to the ship.

El_Equinoccio_de_Dzibilchaltun_by_Mexivenatoris.jpg

88.jpg

Go on an excursion of the archaeological site of Dzibilchaltun (dzeeble-chal-toon), one of the most important ceremonial centers of the Mayan world and Explore the highlights of the spectacular Mayan city of Merida.

afairbro.....When you get back.....please try and post how your tour was to Uxmal with Autoprogresso. We will be there in April and would like to take this tour with them! Thanks!:)

Gloria, I will try to remember to do that!

jkbecker4.....Last time we were in Progresso we used Autoprogresso and did the Combo Tour $39 (which includes going to Dzibilchaltun). We really enjoyed the tour and they have a beautiful cenote there. When we got back to Merida we were dropped off and had time to see a little of the city and do some shopping. The bus then picked us back up at the meeting location and took us back to Progresso. From there you take their shuttles back to the ship.

El_Equinoccio_de_Dzibilchaltun_by_Mexivenatoris.jpg

88.jpg

Go on an excursion of the archaeological site of Dzibilchaltun (dzeeble-chal-toon), one of the most important ceremonial centers of the Mayan world and Explore the highlights of the spectacular Mayan city of Merida.

Does it seem safe the whole time?

Uxmal is fantastic. We took the ship sponsored tour a few years ago. I prefer the peace of mind I get from knowing that the cruise line is responsible for me and my wife while we are on the excursion. Well worth it in my opinion.

Happy cruising!

Don't know about AP, but the Carnival excursion might be an hour longer because everyone eats at the Uxmal restaurant after visiting the ruins. I would have full confidence in AP though too.

Thanks. It seems like you could eat a lot of food for the additional $30 that Carnival charges for their excursion.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved it! Did Chichen Itza a couple of years ago and it's definitely worth seeing. Really incredible to think of how they lived back then, but they do not let you climb on those ruins. The Autoprogreso excursion to Dzibulchaltun was really great---awesome guide and you cannot beat the beautiful cenote to swim in. Highly recommend!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...