Train from Civitavecchia to Rome - on Saturday

joe d

I have read all about taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and it appears to be a good choice for us. However, I have looked at the schedule for the trains and am having trouble understanding it. The problem is that we are going to be in Civitavecchia on a Saturday (May 16 at 8:00am). From what I can determine there are not nearly as many trains on Saturday.

Has anyone taken the train on a Saturday? How frequent were the trains?

There are plenty of trains on Saturdays (Sundays and holidays are a bit different) so you might be looking at a truncated schedule. We normally go right to the Trenitalia web site but at the moment it is down :). But a quick glance shows that Saturday morning would have regional service (to Rome) at 7:30, 8:01, 8:42, 8:56, 9:18(this is an intercity train with higher fares that goes to the Ostience Station), and 9:58.

The regional trains have a no-reservations policy so there is no reason to buy a ticket in advance. You can get tickets out of machines at the station, at the station's ticket window, or at several local tobacco shops. The popular BIRG ticket is also good on all the regionals and also gives you unlimited use of Rome's Metro and bus system for the entire day.

As to return trains it is pretty similar to weekdays in that there is at least 1 train per hour (sometimes more) that will get you back to Civitavecchia.

The best place to find the current schedules are right on the Trenitalia.com website (when it is working). If you open that site you can click on the small British flag on the upper right and you will get everything in English...although Rome is still listed as "Roma."

Hank

I have read all about taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and it appears to be a good choice for us. However, I have looked at the schedule for the trains and am having trouble understanding it. The problem is that we are going to be in Civitavecchia on a Saturday (May 16 at 8:00am). From what I can determine there are not nearly as many trains on Saturday.

Has anyone taken the train on a Saturday? How frequent were the trains?

Note that most European countries display calendars MON-SUN, and not SUN-SAT. Are you sure you're picking Saturday?

When checking regional train schedules (and most of the trains between Civitavecchia and Rome are regionals), don't look at the exact date you want to travel as the regional schedules are not loaded into the system very far in the future. Simply look at the same day of the week in the upcoming seven days. In other words, look at this coming Saturday's schedule and it will be the same.