Hapag-Lloyd MS Europa-- International Hostess.

English Voyager

My TA has received an e-mail from Hapag-Lloyd advising that with effect from the beginning of Cruise EUR1721, 13 October 2017, there will be no International Hostess on board any more.

However, services in English will be provided in respect of:

Media 4 Cruises: ship’s own infotainment system – can be switched to English language. An English instruction is available

Extract of printed Daily Program

Evening Dinner menus for EUROPA Restaurant, Dieter Müller Restaurant and Venezia.

EUR 1721 is the cruise I have booked.

Was it something I said?

Brexit?

More likely, it is because she did not have enough to do.

On my September MS Europa cruise, as I had mentioned previously, there were only 4 English country of origin guests, and given the fact that the key staff, including reception and booking personnel and all officers all spoke English well enough to communicate with those who spoke no German, and all emergency and essential announcements were in two languages, they likely deployed her to do work elsewhere.

However, my understanding was that she was the one doing the daily menu translations into English, so I am not sure who will be doing that unless they get one of the fantastic waiters to do it (the waiter David in the main dining room, unsure if he is still there, would likely be able to, his English is fantastic -- if he is there, try and get assigned into his section)

I would suggest making yourself known to front desk personnel straight off and keeping close contact with them, and the cruise director, and you should be fine. You will need to be a little more proactive than on the E2

Catlover54,

It was my understanding that the International Hostess also translated relevant sections of the daily programme, so I don't know who would do that under the new arrangement.

I only hope that it is not the thin edge of the wedge, and that they will not dispense with an International Hostess on the Europa 2.

On two of my cruises on that ship I have been the only English speaking guest on board.

unfortunately i am not booked on your cruise ...:rolleyes:

obviously there are more people speaking english fluently as the safety drill is done separately for non german speaking pax

maybe the hostess of the ship can help you . i think at least 2 of them previously did work on either ms europa 2 or on another bilingual ship.

i am listed as german speaking and i am not invited on the party for international guests on ms europa 2 :D

EV, I looked up the cruise that leaves 10/13, the Ocean Sun Festival online just now as I was thinking of changing another booking I already have made with a German girlfriend to that one, and from the US the website reads, when you try and go to a booking:

"

Kindly note that the on-board language of MV EUROPA for the cruise you have booked is German. Travel documents, shore excursions, on-board announcements and enrichment lectures will be in German only. Our crew on board MV EUROPA, however, speaks English.

Please note that with the beginning of cruise number EUR1721 there will be no international hostess on board anymore in order to assist our English speaking guests. All cruises will be conducted in German language only. Please note that neither English daily programs nor English menu cards can be provided anymore. Nevertheless our crew is fluent in English and will support you as much as possible."

This language, different from what your TA said, indicates you won't even get the programs and menus in English, if it is true, or maybe they are just giving super strong warnings in case something goes wrong, but will still have something (e.g., if the menu and program daily is put into a computer, they could at least run Google translator into English). I am not sure how the international performers would read the programs and menus if they do not speak German (e.g., on my September Ocean Sun, several did not). Perhaps the English-speaking waiters are just going to translate as needed when you ask them? If yes, that is very slow in a busy dining room, unless one just made a daily routine of going to reception to translate before going into the dining rooms. The CD in September was an American who of course speaks perfect English, but he may not want anything to do with menu and program translations.

You may want to fully clarify exactly what the deal is here, and if it is unacceptable, you should be able to cancel and get your deposit back without penalty and switch to an E2 cruise instead. I knew that some of the guests were not keen on English-speaking people there, so maybe HL figured if they are going to cut costs, this is one way without losing good will with the vast majority of customers. Disappointing.

Catlover54,

Thank you for the 'heads up'.

What is advised on the website in respect of the Europa Cruise EUR 1721 is definitely contrary to the information my TA received on Monday from Hapag-Lloyd.

I have asked my TA to clarify the situation, and hopefully I will hear something before the Christmas holidays.

As for switching to a cruise on the Europa 2, I have the on going problem with Hapag-Lloyd of their policy of only making 6-8 staterooms available for single occupancy on any given cruise with the allocation generally being sold out early subsequent to the cruises being previewed/published.

Hapag-Lloyd will have a stand at next February's London Cruise Show so it will provide an opportunity to discuss the Company's sales strategy.

Edited by English Voyager

And despite this, on MS Europa last September there were 44 solos, counting myself, with only roughly 200 cabins, so more than 6-8 per ship

website booking shows some solo availability discrimination for both ships, in both languages now, so even if you want to pay more, they claim n/a, until closer to cruise time. I work, so have little flexibility for short notice long trips

maybe if we told them that though we are solo, we do drink a lot of expensive wine and spirits, so they would find it worth their while :)

I think I drank more without DH than with :)

My TA sent me an email saying she got a notice from HL just like yours regarding the Feb 2018 western Australia cruise I booked on the Europa while recently on board, for DH and me, as opposed to the one from the website which is more restrictive, e.g., announcing no English menus and no programs. Not sure which is correct.

She also sent me forms to sign and FAX in with non-binding requests for future HL cruises I may be interested in from the new schedule, but there is no pricing or solo availability listing for anything.

My TA sent me an email saying she got a notice from HL just like yours regarding the Feb 2018 western Australia cruise I booked on the Europa while recently on board, for DH and me, as opposed to the one from the website which is more restrictive, e.g., announcing no English menus and no programs. Not sure which is correct.

She also sent me forms to sign and FAX in with non-binding requests for future HL cruises I may be interested in from the new schedule, but there is no pricing or solo availability listing for anything.

Catlover54,

In response to my query, Hapag-Lloyd has advised that any English speaking passenger who booked a cruise on the Europa before the decision was made to dispense with the International Hostess will receive the services in English detailed in my post of the 19 December.

Still no indication as to who will provide those services, and quite how it will work in practice with a possible two categories of English speaking passengers.

With regard to registering an interest in a cruise contained in a Preview Brochure, my TA has not received any forms to be completed but has been assured by HL that my interest in an Europa 2 Norwegian cruise on a solo occupancy basis has been noted, and that prices will be released in March next year.

To be on the safe side I will ask my TA to verify with HL if I need to complete a form.

Edited by English Voyager