Need POA information soon!!

mooseman

Recent POA passengers:

I would like to see more comments about recent POA trips. We have 16 people sailing on Jan. 2, 2005 and need all the notice we can get if we are going to cancel. My 2 tickets are going to be cancelled, that's a sure thing, but others in the group booked some time back and their cancellation dates are critical.

This would have been my second cruise (1st was Carnival Legend, Jan 2004, west Carib) and I don't want take the chance of spoiling that great experience with what I am reading on this site.

Mooseman John

This thread that I started yesterday said "Moved" for some reason when I signed on this morning so I am getting it on top again. Our TA is aware of what is happening on POA, in fact he and his wife are part of our group. He said that if this bad news keeps up, he will pull the whole group himself to protect his reputation. He also said that conditions might improve before our cruise (Jan. 2, 2005) and that we still have some time before we lose our deposit, so I am going to wait 2-3 weeks and watch the passenger reviews in the meantime.

Recent POA people, please tell us your experiences!

Mooseman John

Recent POA passengers:

I would like to see more comments about recent POA trips. We have 16 people sailing on Jan. 2, 2005 and need all the notice we can get if we are going to cancel. My 2 tickets are going to be cancelled, that's a sure thing, but others in the group booked some time back and their cancellation dates are critical.

This would have been my second cruise (1st was Carnival Legend, Jan 2004, west Carib) and I don't want take the chance of spoiling that great experience with what I am reading on this site.

Mooseman John

Thanks LouChamp.

I checked your review and an somewhat encouraged by it. I remember reading reviews about the Carnival Legend before I was on it last January and some of them were obviously way off the mark when I actually rode the ship myself. It was incredible - a real nice first cruise experience.

I have tried to contact some CC thread contributors directly, but no-one seems to accept emails.

If anyone has private information they don't want to put on the CC threads, they can use this address and reach me:

Jan05POA@hotmail.com

Thanks for all replies,

Mooseman John

Mooseman,

We were on the 8/15 POA cruise. I don't have time to write now but if you check my review you will see it is not as bad as it has been but the dining wait times are still an issue.

I think that I'd cancel now. An Hawaiian holiday can be had much cheaper and guaranteed better with land only.

A good cruise would be much much more likely on any other ship ecept PoAL and PoAM.

Think any who are still able to cancel and only lose the deposit would be foolish to keep waiting and hoping. Until bottom line bleeds red. NCL will not change.

I can't see getting this trip much cheaper than the price we got it for. I tried duplicating it online and the closest I got was $1000CA above my cost and we are getting a 2-day hotel stay at the end of the cruise on top of that price.

If I want to see Hawaii, and I really do, is it worth taking whatever NCL gives us in order to see that part of the world. Maybe so. We don't rely on the ship food anyway as we both watch what we eat very carefully (I lost a pound on the Legend cruise last January). I am more concerned about cleanliness and how well-equipped the gym is than what is on the table.

Mooseman John

I think that I'd cancel now. An Hawaiian holiday can be had much cheaper and guaranteed better with land only.

A good cruise would be much much more likely on any other ship ecept PoAL and PoAM.

Think any who are still able to cancel and only lose the deposit would be foolish to keep waiting and hoping. Until bottom line bleeds red. NCL will not change.

He also said that conditions might improve before our cruise (Jan. 2, 2005) and that we still have some time before we lose our deposit . . .

I'm also booked on this cruise and hoping things will improve, but booked an alternate cruise for Jan. 3, 2005 just in case we cancel. I don't want to end up cancelling and not having a backup vacation planned.

Booking a tentative cruise is a good idea and I may also do the same thing. I really want to see Hawaii. I hope it works out and also hope to see you there as well if it does. I have a Hotmail address for this subject, if you feel the need.

Jan05POA@hotmail.com

I'm also booked on this cruise and hoping things will improve, but booked an alternate cruise for Jan. 3, 2005 just in case we cancel. I don't want to end up cancelling and not having a backup vacation planned.

We were booked on the 11/28/04 sailing of Pride of Aloha and cancelled our booking two weeks ago. Since we already had our airline tickets we converted to a land based vacation of two islands..Maui and Oahu. Will not be the same as a cruise, but will afford us peace of mind.

Just my 2 cents, and it's not likely worth that much. I've been on these boards for years and frankly I've never seen so many bad reviews for a single ship. NCL has been refunding 1/2 of the service charges and giving significant future cruise credit back to previous victims, er guests, of this ship. NCL has been forced to be very public about the problems on this ship. I mean even the Cruise Critic offical review, and cruise critic reviews tend to be generous, was relatively harsh.

Listen to your TA, they are the professionals, and likely have access to people giving less biased opinions than you'll see here. If the TA says "let's go with someone else" it would be silly not to listen.

Well, after looking at the replies and the hype, I am somewhat more relaxed about going out on the POA next January (thanks, LouChamp, you speak very well). It is over 4 months away and hopefully all will go well.

Thanks for all replies - this has been an experience!!

Just a quick update. At a gathering of friends today, most of the 16 people in our Jan 05 POA group were there. We decided to wait it out and hope things improve. Two action items - first, decide on Sept 20 "go-no go" in order to get our deposits back, second, if we go on past Sept 20 and commit to the trip, we are just going to assume we will have a good time and not worry about any more.

So, all things considered, it looks like Hawaii will be hit by a storm of crazy Canadians about Jan 2, 2005.

I'm booked on POA in July of 2005. I know I could cancel and receive my deposit back but what about insurance? If I rebook to another crusie line would they transfer my insurance? If not, do I forfiet the $300? I paid for the insurance right away to cover the pre-existing conditions option. Is this not a good thing to do? Considering you may want to cancel the cruise booking for whatever reason? Please advise.

Guest nhrich
I'm booked on POA in July of 2005. I know I could cancel and receive my deposit back but what about insurance? If I rebook to another crusie line would they transfer my insurance? If not, do I forfiet the $300? I paid for the insurance right away to cover the pre-existing conditions option. Is this not a good thing to do? Considering you may want to cancel the cruise booking for whatever reason? Please advise.

That all depends on who you booked your insurance through. It sounds like you booked it through a third party (not NCL). If so, you should be able to transfer it. If you booked through NCL, obviously, they wouldn't transfer it to another cruise line.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

I'm booked on POA in July of 2005. I know I could cancel and receive my deposit back but what about insurance?

I purposely do not purchase insurance until after final payment is made. The downside is that you do not get the preexisting coverage waiver. Now, if anyone knows of an insurance company that offers refunds or exchanges, even with a fee, please let me know. The other option is to buy a yearly travel insurance policy, but you'd have to travel a lot to justify that expense.

We also are booked on 1/2/2005. We are a group of 80+ people and are hoping things improve by the first of the year.

I'm also booked on the 01/02/2005 POA cruise. I've seriously considered cancelling, but haven't decided yet. I'll have to decided soon as final payment is approaching. Although my TA believes things will improve and he tends to be pretty accurate in his assertions, I'm not 100% confident this time. If we all do decided to go, we'll have to do a CC get together.

We are also on the Jan 02 2005 POA. I have some concerns regarding all the poor reviews thus far, but am also not interested in cancelling. This will be our first cruise and our first trip to Hawaii. I expect the cruise will be a combination of hotel room, transportation between islands, and an average restaurant experience. If NCL can meet or exceed my expectaions, I am confident that the Hawaiian islands will be a great experience. If NCL fails, The Hawaiian islands will still be a great experience.

Tom

Not the ship, I mean the state of mind.

Thanks, Tom. Your viewpoint is also mine at this point. I really think NCL will get their collective act together before January 2005. My group is hanging in solid for now.

Hope to see you on the cruise. Emails to Jan05POA@hotmail.com will get a message to me.

We are also on the Jan 02 2005 POA. I have some concerns regarding all the poor reviews thus far, but am also not interested in cancelling. This will be our first cruise and our first trip to Hawaii. I expect the cruise will be a combination of hotel room, transportation between islands, and an average restaurant experience. If NCL can meet or exceed my expectaions, I am confident that the Hawaiian islands will be a great experience. If NCL fails, The Hawaiian islands will still be a great experience.

Tom

I just cancelled the PoA trip for Feb '05. I was charged a $50 cancelllation fee but am receiving the full insurance cost back + full cruise fare.
Was this $50 cancellation fee assessed by NCL or your TA? Last week we cancelled our 9-19 sailing through our TA and have been informed in writing that we will receive a 100% refund of our cruise fare with no cancellation fee. We arranged for a land stay on Kauai for the seven days we would have been on the ship and transferred our third party travel insurance for the cruise to our land stay with no transfer fee.

Maybe we didn't incur any cancellation fee because we were included in the "30 day window" offer from NCL.

Craig

:) The FDA has given the POA 100% positive rating for a recent inspection of its galleys, restaurants, staterooms, etc.
This is very interesting information. Just yesterday someone commented on how unsanitary the ship was based on second hand information. It's good to see that an official inspection was done and those rumors were unfounded. With the other problems on this cruise it's good to know that sanitary conditions won't be the main concern.

:) I find it rather strange and contradictory also. But the POA has been taking on "day laborers" in each port to do the clean up work the crew can't keep up with. These day laborers probably don't come cheap but at least the management is trying to do something about all the complaints. I hope they make it work. The state of Hawai'i is behind them all the way. But they won't cover up for a bad ship. Again I say..... YEA. Let's hope NCL works the bugs out and makes this ship the best of the line.

I have done lots of cruises and I had only one that was even remotely 'bad'...

So I always say "the worst day on a cruise is better than the best day on land"...

If you are looking to experience multiple Hawaiian islands without the hassle of packing/unpacking, flying, travelling to and from airports then a cruise is the way to go. Look at the POA as a floating hotel and you'll be OK. If you're looking for an exceptional cruising experience, look elsewhere. You can't beat the POA's itinerary. All other cruise ships beat the food and service on the POA. It's really that basic. There simply are not enough crew/staff onboard to manage the number of passengers. Expect long waits and out of supply for nearly everything. Passenger demand always exceeds the crew's ability to serve. Keep snacks in your cabin. Eat at "off" hours where possible. Enjoy a meal on shore. Getting into the shows didn't seem to be a problem for us. Everyone was in line at the restaurants.

Archived