Help-SS Carinthia (oh and QM2)

tag1000

I was wondering if anyone can be of help. Looking to know if anyone might have any information of sailings for the Carinthia in 1964. My Mom emigrated from Ireland to Canada in 1964 and travelled on the Carinthia leaving Conh in 1964. I am trying to find the date the Carinthia left Cobh. I know she arrived in Bermuda on March 3, 1964. If anyone might know that would be great! It is just for pure curiosity. I did the whole Google thing but no luck.

As an inside I took Mom on the QM2 from New York to Southampton this May and returned in June via Halifax. I am still suffering from withdrawal(I read on another thread there is an official term for this affliction). What a magnificent experience. The ship-the crew: perfect! The dogs came as well. The kennels were amazing and Oliver the kennel master was magnificent. Talk about family trip!

It is funny-I always notice some people have gripes with Cunard and the QM2. Despite being fussy-I can not think of anything that was not 100 percent perfect. Even the food(very fussy eater) was perfect. Call me mad but I did not even mind the King's Court. Perhaps the gym could have some better weight machines. Oh well.

All being well I am planing another trip for next year(fingers And toes crossed).

Sorry, I could not find the answer to your question regarding your mother's voyage, but I did find this site which gives a very interesting history of the Carinthia http://www.liverpoolships.org/carinthia_cunard_line.html

Perhaps Cunard World Club might be of assistance?

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

tag1000, your posting brought back many a happy memory. Quite often I sailed on the Carinthia with my mother from Liverpool across to Canada ( even sailed on the sister ship Sylvania)

I'm sure if you contact Cunard they may still have records of departure dates & sailings etc . I found the above link very interesting, of course I was very very young in those days ;) and didn't really appreciate how stylish and glamorous those ships were.

On one return voyage we were give an upgrade (to first class) due to a mix up with our bookings. My mum would often tell me how privileged we were, due to the fact she was travelling with a young child. I still have a photo of us in the restaurant at the lunch table in one of those chairs (which I've just discovered from the above link) were originally from the 'Aquitania' . Oh my goodness no wonder I'm a fan of Downton Abby ;):D

Edited by Bell Boy

I was wondering if anyone can be of help. Looking to know if anyone might have any information of sailings for the Carinthia in 1964. My Mom emigrated from Ireland to Canada in 1964 and travelled on the Carinthia leaving Conh in 1964. I am trying to find the date the Carinthia left Cobh. I know she arrived in Bermuda on March 3, 1964. If anyone might know that would be great! It is just for pure curiosity. I did the whole Google thing but no luck.

As an inside I took Mom on the QM2 from New York to Southampton this May and returned in June via Halifax. I am still suffering from withdrawal(I read on another thread there is an official term for this affliction). What a magnificent experience. The ship-the crew: perfect! The dogs came as well. The kennels were amazing and Oliver the kennel master was magnificent. Talk about family trip!

It is funny-I always notice some people have gripes with Cunard and the QM2. Despite being fussy-I can not think of anything that was not 100 percent perfect. Even the food(very fussy eater) was perfect. Call me mad but I did not even mind the King's Court. Perhaps the gym could have some better weight machines. Oh well.

All being well I am planing another trip for next year(fingers And toes crossed).

I did find this item posted on the Internet:

cun64.jpg

Sailings February-December 1964 (issued February 1964) for:

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Mauretania, Caronia, Sylvania, Carinthia, Carmania, Franconia

Ports of call:

Rotterdam, Southampton, Le Havre, Cherbourg, Liverpool, Cobh, Greenock, Halifax, Quebec, Montreal, New York

Edited by yrrah

I know what you're talking about. I get the same sickness when the crossing/cruise aboard QM2 is over :( Cunard used to use the advertising slogan that "Getting there is half the fun" and in my humble opinion that slogan is 100% correct :) But as I said before the fun is over when the QM2 docks at the port of disembarkation. Regards,Jerry