Beach theft

UpstateCruiser1007

Has anyone run into any issues with beach theft while in Bermuda? We want to be able to swim while there but I’m not into having to carry all of my valuables on my person in a waterproof bag. We visited Bermuda about 5 years ago and didn’t have any issues but we also sort of teamed up with another couple on the beach to take turns watching each other’s things. Last time we pretty much just cooled off in the water and were within sight of our belongings at all times but this time we hope to get some snorkeling in. As of now, we plan to visit Horseshoe and probably Tobacco Bay (or wherever the best beach side snorkeling is).

Not saying it couldn't happen but have never run into any theft. Teaming up with another couple is always good, just look for the same ship towel.:D Tobacco Bay is best for snorkeling. We've left out things while we snorkeled and didn't have anyone watching.

Someone on one of these boards clued me into a KYSS bag before our last cruise. It's a slash proof tote bag with a safety chain. We love it! I wrap the chain around our chairs & lock all our stuff inside. Someone would have to have wire cutters or haul our chairs with them. It's not completely theft proof, but it will slow someone down.

http://www.kyssbags.com

We have the smallest tote & it held my dslr camera & 2 lenses, our phones, wallets & 2 iPads easily with room to spare on our last flight.

Has anyone run into any issues with beach theft while in Bermuda? We want to be able to swim while there but I’m not into having to carry all of my valuables on my person in a waterproof bag. We visited Bermuda about 5 years ago and didn’t have any issues but we also sort of teamed up with another couple on the beach to take turns watching each other’s things. Last time we pretty much just cooled off in the water and were within sight of our belongings at all times but this time we hope to get some snorkeling in. As of now, we plan to visit Horseshoe and probably Tobacco Bay (or wherever the best beach side snorkeling is).

I left my stuff on the beach at Horseshoe and Tobacco this year like I have done in years past. At Horseshoe we kept our eyes on our stuff while in the water. At Tobacco we were underwater for an hour so it would have been possible for someone to take valuables, we could not watch our stuff, but I have been pretty complacent in Bermuda. Been going there for years. There are lockers at Tobacco and we probably should have used them. So you have that option there.

Edited by Charles4515

I read somewhere to roll your things in a disposable diaper so someone thinks it's used. :D:D:D

As far as locking a KYSS bag to a chair, not everyone rents a chair and many beaches in Bermuda don't even have chairs to rent.

Edited by iheartbda

..... but I’m not into having to carry all of my valuables on my person in a waterproof bag. ....

A good investment is a waterproof camera.

Then the only valuables that you will need are money, ID, credit card.

I had no problem just taking them into the water with me, but, I did use one of the waterproof bags. You still have to put your money, ID, credit card, tissues, sunblock into some kind of bag, so I purchased Freegrace Premium Waterproof Pouch, put everything in that, and just took it into the water when I went in along with my camera.

Not saying it couldn't happen but have never run into any theft. Teaming up with another couple is always good, just look for the same ship towel.:D Tobacco Bay is best for snorkeling. We've left out things while we snorkeled and didn't have anyone watching.

I read somewhere to roll your things in a disposable diaper so someone thinks it's used.

As far as locking a KYSS bag to a chair, not everyone rents a chair and many beaches in Bermuda don't even have chairs to rent.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure I'll go as far as to pack diapers but that's a great idea for someone who already has them on hand (hubs and I are childfree).

Also, good point about the KYSS bag. We plan to rent chairs and an umbrella at Horseshoe but not sure if Tabacco Bay has that option. Would you happen to know?

Edit: I googled it, like I should have to begin with. Hopefully we can snag some chairs then we'll be good to go with the KYSS bag.

Edited by UpstateCruiser1007

Someone on one of these boards clued me into a KYSS bag before our last cruise. It's a slash proof tote bag with a safety chain. We love it! I wrap the chain around our chairs & lock all our stuff inside. Someone would have to have wire cutters or haul our chairs with them. It's not completely theft proof, but it will slow someone down.

http://www.kyssbags.com

We have the smallest tote & it held my dslr camera & 2 lenses, our phones, wallets & 2 iPads easily with room to spare on our last flight.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm totally ordering one.

A good investment is a waterproof camera.

Then the only valuables that you will need are money, ID, credit card.

I had no problem just taking them into the water with me, but, I did use one of the waterproof bags. You still have to put your money, ID, credit card, tissues, sunblock into some kind of bag, so I purchased Freegrace Premium Waterproof Pouch, put everything in that, and just took it into the water when I went in along with my camera.

We have a go pro but will also likely have the dSLR with us, assuming we're doing some site seeing before or after. Definitely not getting that wet and waterproof housing for the camera is roughly the cost of one of our cruise fares. That's not happening.

I had a waterproof bag for our last cruise and I found it to be kind of a nuisance, though there are probably much nicer options 5 years later.

I left my stuff on the beach at Horseshoe and Tobacco this year like I have done in years past. At Horseshoe we kept our eyes on our stuff while in the water. At Tobacco we were underwater for an hour so it would have been possible for someone to take valuables, we could not watch our stuff, but I have been pretty complacent in Bermuda. Been going there for years. There are lockers at Tobacco and we probably should have used them. So you have that option there.

Good to know there are lockers. Thanks!