Cell Phone Questions

possumtrot2

Well - sort of true/false if your home is in the US.

When you enter a phone number in your phone's address book, always preface the area code with +1

Thus, the listing will read +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX. Within the US, it'll dial the same as without +1. Outside the US, the +1 is the country code.

In either case, clicking the contact gets you home.

I agree with this. Interestingly, when I was in Europe in September I called a US number a couple of times that was in my contacts without the +1 prefix. The calls went through despite the number not having the prefix. I can't explain it. :)

Edited by Underwatr

ccastner-But in that event (what happened in S America) you'd still be able to text and call, right?

Generally texting is 50 cents to snd and 5 cents to receive. Photo texts won't go through-it's part of the data plan. Not sure about Facetime.

Our friends recently went to Europe and found out their T-Mobile has free date overseas and texting! (I don't know about calling.)

Our friends recently went to Europe and found out their T-Mobile has free date overseas and texting! (I don't know about calling.)
T-Mobile calls are 20 cents per minute (on land. NOT on a ship).

Not everywhere, but in most countries. Until a couple of years ago the Bahamas was an exception and very expensive. T-Mobile has just announced roaming in Cuba, but at $2 per minute and $2 per megabyte.

I'm pretty sure you can receive texts on the ship for free if you have an unlimited texting bundle in your phone plan. 50 cents to send, as you said.

Shipboard calls on T-Mobile are $6 per minute, so don't assume everyone has the same deals.

Edited by Underwatr

SJDE-On South American cruise, the last three days were sea days, no ports, so with no ship's Internet, I had no contact with the outside world until we docked at Valparaiso.

It was ok. Nothing I could have done at sea anyway.

These are the things to consider about a cruise, how truly comfortable you are being out of contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call Verizon, they will ask what ports you will stop at and put you on the correct plan. If you keep the calls short and let Verizon know you are traveling it shouldn't be too costly. We have used out phone on the ship for emergency business a few times and have never had to pay more than $10-15 per call.

When we were in St Thomas in March, there was this little bar right outside the port gate that offered free wifi. Pretty sure we had to order a drink but the bartender put in the password for us. Our friend was able to call home using her Verizon phone on wifi. Or you could at least send a fb message or text. I know she did the same thing at the Hard Rock in Nassau.

Lol St Thomas is domestic for Verizon users!! But that is only recent and was different in March I believe

You went to a lot of trouble to make a call from st thomas on Verizon ...no need for that any longer thankfully

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

SJDE-On South American cruise, the last three days were sea days, no ports, so with no ship's Internet, I had no contact with the outside world until we docked at Valparaiso.

It was ok. Nothing I could have done at sea anyway.

These are the things to consider about a cruise, how truly comfortable you are being out of contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually you were never out of contact

You could have paid your cell providers rates (as long as you were at least in cell satellite range)

Or

You could have picked up the cabin phone at $4.99 a minute

So you were never out of contact you were just out of reasonably priced contact

Sent from my iPad using Forums