Galveston Hotel Questions

harleydudesat

I have been looking at hotels in Galveston for Nov 5 2011. For some reason seems a lot are sold out. I had been able in the past to get the Hotel Galvez or The Tremont House on Priceline. No such luck now. Any recommendations? Would like one with cruise parking as we will be driving in. Has anyone heard anything about the Country Inn and Suites?

Thanks in advance for you help

Holly

Country Inn is brand new relative to others.

Havent seen anything negative on it.

It is one block from beach!

Moody Gardens is great.

Lots to do there!

It is on the bay!

One of better hotels on island.

See web

Decide if you want to stay on

1. Gulf of Mexico Beach Seawall Street (many hotels)

2. Historic Old Town Strand Port Area (Tremont and Harbor House)

3. Bayside Area (2) Moody Gardens Hotels

Tremont and Harbor House are 2-3 blocks to terminal.

Everything is close though!

All hotel/motels are just two or so miles from terminal anyway.

To get bearings of island

Look at FREE internet map

See Galveston.com

Interact and Discover

Maps

Galveston Fun Map

Click on the image of the Galveston Fun Map

This may be helpful!

I am quoting a post from another thread at Mardi Gras time!

The hotel has just been refurbished from IkE.

On Seawall Blvd across from beach.

I live in Galveston!!!

Ask questions!

Quote of another cruiser:

"If you are a AAA member, you can book the Four Points Sheraton at 2300 Seawall Blvd for $75 + tax. I just booked it for the Feb 26th at this price. Stayed here our last 2 cruises--very nice new hotel--can see the ships from your room. Up until last week they had a 2 night minimum & wanted $169 a night during Mardi Gras. Guess not enough people know they exists so had to lower the rates. A really good deal!

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Galveston a few weeks ago when we sailed Voyager and were happy with it. I'm not sure about cruise parking but you could always email them and ask. The room rate was very reasonable, the room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was good too. As stated, it is directly across from the beach. Unfortunately, the day we were there it was raining and very cold so we didn't get a chance to explore much. :(

If I remember right, the cab cost to the port was approximately $11.00.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you choose it. :o

We like Harbor House. On Pier 21, a couple of blocks from cruise ship terminal. DH drops me off with the luggage and goes back to the hotel and parks and then walks to terminal. You are right there with a bunch of good restaurants, close to the Strand. To me Galveston is great because it has such a funky vibe, but it is not the place to go for the beach. I would rather stay in the downtown area. We have stayed also at B & B in the old victorian houses. That was really neat! You have plenty of choices, but because of the rally and the cruise ships, I would not wait to book. I have already booked for cruise in November. We are going three days ahead of time, just to soak up the atmosphere

We like Harbor House. On Pier 21, a couple of blocks from cruise ship terminal. DH drops me off with the luggage and goes back to the hotel and parks and then walks to terminal. You are right there with a bunch of good restaurants, close to the Strand. To me Galveston is great because it has such a funky vibe, but it is not the place to go for the beach. I would rather stay in the downtown area. We have stayed also at B & B in the old victorian houses. That was really neat! You have plenty of choices, but because of the rally and the cruise ships, I would not wait to book. I have already booked for cruise in November. We are going three days ahead of time, just to soak up the atmosphere

If you want a party during Lone Star Rally,

that area around Harbor House and Old Town Strand St. is party central.

FYI

Maps show locations of events!

http://www.lonestarrally.com/map.html

Some events on Seawall area and some events on Harborside and Strand area!

Might help you decide where you want to stay

if you are cruising during that event time!

Remember there will be approx 200,000 or so visitors

on the island for the duration of events.

Thanks so much for all the answers. Kinda leaning towards moody gardens. My D H likes the idea of parking and shuttle, that way our vacation starts with less stress. Bike rally could be interesting. I have never been to one but DH has (my daughter named him harleydude when we got married-

Thanks so much for all the answers. Kinda leaning towards moody gardens. My D H likes the idea of parking and shuttle, that way our vacation starts with less stress. Bike rally could be interesting. I have never been to one but DH has (my daughter named him harleydude when we got married-

You won't go wrong at Moody Gardens!

Then you can get involved as much as you want!

Archived