Experienced cruiser, but trying to get daring with self-directed taxi tour

We've cruised 6 or 7 times (Caribbean and mexico) but have never had the nerve to just grab a taxi to try out our own tour. I know, it's sad, but I'm a really nervous Nellie about missing the ship so we have always stuck with cruise company tours.

Time to get daring!

We will be in St. Maarten on December 15 (along with at least 5 other ships including the Oasis) and we're thinking about trying to do Marigot for some walking about then Grand Case for lunch and a stroll down the beach. We are in port from 7:00 am on 6:00 pm.

Does this sound safe and secure for getting back to the ship on time? We would plan to head back leaving Grand Case around 3:00 pm.

It's just 2 of us, and from what I've read it would be about $75 - $90 or so in taxi fares. Sound more or less correct?

Thanks for any advice!

Look for the white vans on High Street with Marigot sign in window. Used to be $2 pp. They will let you off anywhere along way.Taxi drivers not the best tour guides. Save your Es for a nice french lunch in Marigot.

Edited by zoncom

We've cruised 6 or 7 times (Caribbean and mexico) but have never had the nerve to just grab a taxi to try out our own tour. I know, it's sad, but I'm a really nervous Nellie about missing the ship so we have always stuck with cruise company tours.

Time to get daring!

We will be in St. Maarten on December 15 (along with at least 5 other ships including the Oasis) and we're thinking about trying to do Marigot for some walking about then Grand Case for lunch and a stroll down the beach. We are in port from 7:00 am on 6:00 pm.

Does this sound safe and secure for getting back to the ship on time? We would plan to head back leaving Grand Case around 3:00 pm.

It's just 2 of us, and from what I've read it would be about $75 - $90 or so in taxi fares. Sound more or less correct?

Thanks for any advice!

Very doable. Just leave 90 minutes to get back from Grand Case. 45 minutes should be enough though. I'm thinking that the price would be about $75 for 2 to get to Marigot, Grand Case and back to Philipsburg or the ship.

We never pay for a cruise excursion anymore. Just hire a taxi for the day and request to be back 1-2 hours in advance just to be safe.

Are you with several people you should be able to get a cab for about $25 a head for the day.

If you walk outside the port and look for Antony he does $20-$25 a head. He charges a little less as he us an independent company. We've used Antony and his guys a few times and always had a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Megs867

We never pay for a cruise excursion anymore. Just hire a taxi for the day and request to be back 1-2 hours in advance just to be safe.

Are you with several people you should be able to get a cab for about $25 a head for the day.

If you walk outside the port and look for Antony he does $20-$25 a head. He charges a little less as he us an independent company. We've used Antony and his guys a few times and always had a good day.

I've spent A LOT of time on the island, and I've never heard of a $25/pp all day taxi tour.

I would be very leery of finding a taxi 'outside the port', as they are probably unlicensed and uninsured. Otherwise, they would be INSIDE the port.

There have been numerous reports of serious problems with 'gypsy' cabs on the island. Please Google "gypsy taxi robbery st maarten".

gary

I can not speech for other independent cab companies but we have used Antony's company a few times with great service. We discovered him by mistake on our first trek outside the port he stopped and talked to us and we a group of 5 decided to give it a try it cost us $20 a head at the time and was for the day. We may have just gotten very lucky but he offered us a great tour of the island.

Personally, I would do lunch in Grand Case - You will be fine - and I don't think the taxis will cost what you fear they will... the rates are set by the govt...

Marigot market won't take more than two hours tops - Grand Case is no more than 10mins from Marigot - I'd personally recommend lunch at Calmos café - you can eat with your toes literally in the sand...

Very doable. Just leave 90 minutes to get back from Grand Case. 45 minutes should be enough though. I'm thinking that the price would be about $75 for 2 to get to Marigot, Grand Case and back to Philipsburg or the ship.

Thanks so much, Karysa! So many positive responses, I'm really getting excited to try this!

I can not speech for other independent cab companies but we have used Antony's company a few times with great service. We discovered him by mistake on our first trek outside the port he stopped and talked to us and we a group of 5 decided to give it a try it cost us $20 a head at the time and was for the day. We may have just gotten very lucky but he offered us a great tour of the island.

Forums

Thanks for the ideas! Since we are so green when it comes to touring, we might hang on to your tips or the next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time!)....but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for the taxis you speak of...scope them out!

Personally, I would do lunch in Grand Case - You will be fine - and I don't think the taxis will cost what you fear they will... the rates are set by the govt...

Marigot market won't take more than two hours tops - Grand Case is no more than 10mins from Marigot - I'd personally recommend lunch at Calmos café - you can eat with your toes literally in the sand...

Great to hear! And I will take note of the cafe. We've read that not too many restaurants are open for lunch, and that it was a good idea to browse around a little bit. But if we decide instead to make reservations, I'll look this one up.

I've spent A LOT of time on the island, and I've never heard of a $25/pp all day taxi tour.

I would be very leery of finding a taxi 'outside the port', as they are probably unlicensed and uninsured. Otherwise, they would be INSIDE the port.

There have been numerous reports of serious problems with 'gypsy' cabs on the island. Please Google "gypsy taxi robbery st maarten".

gary

Thanks for the warning...we will keep that in mind. This is new territory for us so we want to play it safe for sure this time!

Thanks for the ideas! Since we are so green when it comes to touring, we might hang on to your tips or the next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time!)....but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for the taxis you speak of...scope them out!

Have a wonderful trip! St Maarten's one if my fav stops.

Thanks for the warning...we will keep that in mind. This is new territory for us so we want to play it safe for sure this time!

I should have pointed out that the license plate for a legitimate taxi will read "TAXI 99" or such. A bus will have "BUS 99". You can certainly find legit taxis downtown Philipsburg as well.

th_bus.jpg th_DSCF0573.jpg

(click)

gary

Great to hear! And I will take note of the cafe. We've read that not too many restaurants are open for lunch, and that it was a good idea to browse around a little bit. But if we decide instead to make reservations, I'll look this one up.

Half the fun of Restraunt Row is browsing the menus and looking inside and deciding where to eat. Also, there is no need to make reservations in Grand Case for lunch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So final update...our cruise was last week, and we did exactly as planned in St. Maarten/St.Martin with a few minor exceptions. For others looking for ideas...

We took a group taxi from the pier to Margot. It only cost $8.00 person and around 30 minutes. Shopped a bit, the found the main taxi stand by the market and grabbed a cab to Grand Case for $20.00 for the two of us. The cab driver pointed out a few good local restaurants, but we wanted French so he took us to Ocean62. We had a beachfront table and had an amazing light lunch with some good drinks/wine. It was wonderful. The waiter called a cab and we joined another party back to the pier for another 20.00 for both of us. That was a much longer trip due to very heavy traffic. Probably took around 50 minutes. All in all, it went very well.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their suggestions!