Hull Bay Near Magens Bay - Any Information?

SeaWatcher65

Want to visit Magens Bay in St. Thomas and snorkel somewhere nearby. Cruise ship stop 8am-6pm. Hull Bay seems close by but can't find much information -- except a review that said "dramatic drop off and big fish". I also read that the surf/waves can be rough in winter. We are beginning snorkelers and traveling with 10yr old son. Worth a visit? Too dangerous? Our other option is to skip Magens and just spend the day at one of the snorkeling beaches on the East End -- Sapphire, Lindquist, Secret Harbor, Coki. Already been to Coki - was great, just want to do something different next time. Bathrooms and food service is helpful so we were leaning toward choosing Sapphire. Suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by SeaWatcher65

We've not snorkeled at Hull Bay but we like it on busy ship days because it is very quiet. Not a groomed beach but very natural and pretty. The Hull Bay Hideaway bar and restaurant opens at 10AM daily.

http://www.hullbayhideaway.com/

If you decide on the East End I would suggest Sapphire and perhaps a taxi over to nearby Lindqvist as well, both are gorgeous beaches. Not sure about the snorkeling at Lindqvist (and there is a small admittance fee there) but snorkeling at Sapphire is good with the reef and seagrass areas.

With your longer day in port another option is taking the ferry on your own to St John and going to a beach there. Trunk is too busy but other beaches are good for snorkeling if interested.

But Magens is very nice, just a bit crowded, and a stop at Hull is a nice idea. :)

Hull Bay is a nice place to hang, but the snorkeling isn't good. My apt. overlooked Hull when I lived in St Thomas & I would watch the surfers in the winter & it does attract a lot of fishing boats.

These folks are at Hull Bay, but take boats to snorkeling spots ,usually on St John.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147404-d1215144-Reviews-St_Thomas_Scuba_and_Snorkel_Adventures-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

Sapphire & secret Harbor would both be good if you didn't want to go to St John.

There are many marvelous snorkeling beaches on St John

Here is a guide.

http://stjohn-beachguide.com/snorkeling-on-st-john/