Singapore

willing292

Does anyone know if there is a duty free shop at or near the pier in Singapore? More specifically, where can we buy wine for a decent price? Thanks.

No, there are no duty free shops at the cruise terminals.

You can buy wine when you fly into Singapore to take advantage of the duty free wine at DFS. You can bring in up to 2 bottles duty-free.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/insync/issue08/features/duty_free.html

Alternatively, some travellers bring their own wine from their own country.

Alternatively, if you are in Singapore, go to stores like Cold Storage and NTUC where they have a wine selection. Compared to European/American prices, these won't be cheap.

Thanks. We don't want to pack it in our checked luggage, and Narita has a limited supply and is expensive, from what we remember. We're flying delta and they don't do duty free onboard anymore. We'll look for the stores you suggested.

Thanks. We don't want to pack it in our checked luggage, and Narita has a limited supply and is expensive, from what we remember. We're flying delta and they don't do duty free onboard anymore. We'll look for the stores you suggested.

Are you staying in Singapore a few days pre-cruise? If so, which hotel? I can help you identify the stores you can get wine near your hotel.

Just as a warning -- I had two bottles of wine left from my cruise and I was made to pay duty on them upon arrival at Singapore port.

Wish I'd known you were supposed to get two bottles duty free. The Singapore port agents sure didn't.

• 2 weeks later...
No, there are no duty free shops at the cruise terminals.

That's upsetting, I wanted to take the full allowance for Australia on board (handing it in of course)

Alternatively, if you are in Singapore, go to stores like Cold Storage and NTUC where they have a wine selection. Compared to European/American prices, these won't be cheap.

What is the price for a bottle of gin in the shops in Singapore? If it's cheaper than Australia I would still buy the 2.25 ltrs allowed by Australia, we are there a month and the price is horrendous:eek:

Duty free grog in Singapore at Airport is cheaper than Australia.

In Singapore proper grog is very highly taxed and much more expensive to drink in hotels and bars in Singapore than Australia .