NCL Escape and VG Baths

Jones76

Hi,

If the NCL Escape departs at 3pm, will we have enough time to get to the baths and enjoy the day? (sounds like a math question!)

We have 2 young kids, 3 & 4 and wanted to see the baths on our own, not through the ship excursion.

Also, anything else you can recommend if the baths are too far?

Thanks

I can't offer any specific advice as I haven't been there yet. But have been planning our trip to do on our own. Think the ferry service starts at 7:45, it's a 30 minute ferry plus a 10 minute taxi, so could be there by 8:25. And the ferry service runs throughout the day. So, No doubt you can go and get back in the time you are in port. Whether or not it's a good idea at your kid's ages, I don't know.

But here is the link to the ferry schedule for the logistics:

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg.htm

in the "select ferry schedule" tab you can pick the return route also.

Yes you'll find several threads on this subject, especially regarding the shorter NCL port times. Bottom line you'd want to catch the 7:45AM Speedy's ferry and the 12:40 Speedy's return ferry from Virgin Gorda. That would give you about 4 hrs on the island and plenty of time to see the Baths or another area of the island. You'd be back on Tortola around 1:10 and have time to hit Pusser's Pub for a bite and a drink (they also have a nice clothing line) and Sunny Caribbee for their spices.

Obviously this will be a popular option, and along with the cruise line excursion to the Baths they will be crowded. I'm not sure if the ship excursion uses the 7:45AM ferry or another one. If another you may be able to beat the biggest crowd, not sure.

Smith's ferry offers a 2:15PM return (~2:45PM arrival in Road Town but that is definitely too risky!

If you decide you want to stay on Tortola she is a gorgeous island and worth a tour and a beach stop, you'll find much info on that here as well. Or a taxi to Trellis Bay and the free ferry to Marina Cay is a nice day as well.

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

Hi there, Are there places to rent snorkeling gear if we take Speedy's ferry to the Baths or should we bring our own gear? Also is it easy to find good snorkeling on our own or is it better to look for a tour? We will be on the NCl Escape so 7-3 port visit. Thanks for the advice!

There is a small place at Baths Beach that rents snorkel gear and snacks, as well as lockers to store your stuff while in the water... You can just swim straight out from the beach there, or go through the rocks to Devils Bay.

Hi there, Are there places to rent snorkeling gear if we take Speedy's ferry to the Baths or should we bring our own gear? Also is it easy to find good snorkeling on our own or is it better to look for a tour? We will be on the NCl Escape so 7-3 port visit. Thanks for the advice!

We have been to the Baths twice and both times was a 7-3 port stop.

We just made sure to get on the ferry as early as possible and get the return ferry around 12:00. Got back to Tortola with plenty of time to walk and shop some. By the way, the ferry is about a 10-15 minute walk from the ship, so getting a taxi is not necessary unless you need to with the kids.

Don't count on getting a locker at the Baths. There were not very many when we went (this may have changed though) and they were kind of beat up looking. We are going again in 11 days on Epic (woohoo!) and plan to take a light backpack only. Even going to share a towel with my dh :p Just planning to take as little as possible and not worry about a locker!

You will love the Baths! Obviously we do...going back for a 3rd visit:D

Thanks for the input. I have been reading a bit more and have a few more questions to plan how to most enjoy our day.

1. How crowded it is at the Baths; do you really need to stand in line walking through the caves? (the day we are in port it is just the Escape). Are there really panic rushes for the taxi to get to the ferry for the return?

2. How bumpy is the ferry? I read about lots of people being seasick and dh is a bit worried about a very bumpy ride for back reasons.

3. Do you need to crawl though the caves or is it just occasional twisting/crouching?

Thanks!

The NCL excursion alone is a couple of hundred people. There are 2 paths down to the beach once you are dropped off at the Top of the Baths... One goes straight to Baths Beach, where there is a small refreshment stand, lockers, and restrooms.

The other path goes to Devils Bay, which is equally beautiful as the Baths. The caves connect Devils Bay with The Baths. Most of the "traffic" goes from the Baths towards Devils Bay. If you're trying to go in the other direction, you may have to fight against the "traffic Jam"

As far as the ferry goes, it's not really bumpy so as to jar your back...

There are some sections of the caves where you definitely have to crouch/contort but not really crawl...

The Baths will be crowded as you are with a cruise ship. You can try to time your walk through the Baths but plan on a crowd. For another option Spring Bay is walkable from the Top of the Baths. Would recommend bringing your gear.

The ferry ride is typically not bad at all, really depends on the sea conditions, and some folks have a problem on any water.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to the Baths twice and both times was a 7-3 port stop.

We just made sure to get on the ferry as early as possible and get the return ferry around 12:00. Got back to Tortola with plenty of time to walk and shop some. By the way' date=' the ferry is about a 10-15 minute walk from the ship, so getting a taxi is not necessary unless you need to with the kids.

Don't count on getting a locker at the Baths. There were not very many when we went (this may have changed though) and they were kind of beat up looking. We are going again in 11 days on Epic (woohoo!) and plan to take a light backpack only. Even going to share a towel with my dh[emoji14'] Just planning to take as little as possible and not worry about a locker!

You will love the Baths! Obviously we do...going back for a 3rd visit:D

I am looking to go to the baths and am wondering if a guy my size can fit. I'm 6'2" 260? I really want to do this but I am worried about making it through. TIA

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

You could see the topography from the beach and at least some of the grottos, and if you felt it was too tight turn back and walk back up the path you came down and down the other path to Devil's Bay. Since you are interested I definitely think it's worth going and seeing the Baths even if you're not sure about the tighter spots. It's been awhile since we've been through and I don't think you would have a problem, but someone else can give you a better answer regarding the tight spots.

There are also catamaran and powerboat excursions if your port time allows, and that gives you a nice view of the topography from the water.

• 1 month later...

We did the second excursion on Escape last year and if we do it again this year will suck it up and go in the first excursion or catch the ferry on our own. As noted above, you will have plenty of time.

Last year, I witnessed one cruise ship excursion passenger ask a woman in front of her in the caves a simple question about which way the beach was upon exiting. Turns out the woman was a tour guide with a catamaran with the name cat or kitty or something like that. She asked the ship passenger, wait, are you with a cruise line, if so, you'll have to ask another passenger. I wish you the best of luck on a cruise line excursion! This woman proceeded to tell other visitors to step aside or wait as she ferried her catamaran group through the caves like she owned the place. I guess if there is a point, don't let these non ship excursions make you wait or have a lesser experience at the caves. They have no special privileges there. Not one for confrontation but not letting others impede on my vacay either!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will add, I also saw several visitors treating each other rudely, which I don't get. You are on vacation. Some people come back through the caves the opposite way or take longer to climb and others would make rude passive aggressive remarks. It's like tone er down.

Unfortunately, for day visitors many of the places you want to see are best experienced when no cruise ships are available n port, just a reality. A good option for avoiding crowds when huge ships are in port is a day sail with a small group, or for something similar to the Baths nearby Spring Bay is an option.

The group you saw may have been off Bad Kitty which takes folks from STT and STJ to the Baths and Jost daily.

Whoever it was, the worker thought she owned the Baths and missed a chance to positively influence the lady who asked her a simple question to use her tour the next time around. I, myself, left with a bad impression of that particular tour operation as a result instead. I have to tell you, there were two ships in port that day. The Escape and another NCL one and it didn't seem crowded. That's a lot for Tortola, correct? It was more a matter of people being rude to one another when some people decided to turn back and move against the direction most were traveling.

Edited by LakeWobegon

Yes it is a lot for Tortola now, some days there are 4 ships in port now. I agree the lady could have been more helpful, they do this everyday so...

People can want to turn around if they become uncomfortable or don't feel up to the challenge, and some folks can be pretty nasty. Another problem is some folks here advise people to go that way to avoid the bigger crowd and that makes a mess...

We were just there. I was making my way towards the Baths after paying my entrance fee, and the person at the counter actually called me back and pointed me to the direction of Devil's Bay. Not sure why, but she insisted that I go that way. When making our way thru the caves, I didn't feel one way was more crowded than the other. There were guides (with Speedy's Ferry sign) telling us where to go and when to stop to let a group going the opposite way through.

We took the 7:45 am ferry and actually had more than enough time. We even decided to catch the 11:30 am ferry back to Tortola to avoid the 12:40 rush. It was a great day!

Edited by dng6325

• 8 months later...
Hi,

If the NCL Escape departs at 3pm, will we have enough time to get to the baths and enjoy the day? (sounds like a math question!)

We have 2 young kids, 3 & 4 and wanted to see the baths on our own, not through the ship excursion.

Also, anything else you can recommend if the baths are too far?

Thanks

Jones76 - it's been a while since you've posted but wondering how you did with the kids. We will be visiting Tortola/VG in November with our 3 YO daughter (Hopefully after the terrible hurricane damage) and wondering if it will be doable and safe with her.

Thank you!

Jessie

Jessie, it will be several months before power is restored in different areas and these islands can start to rebuild. There is a massive relief effort in place for the BVI and no ships will be going there right away, I'm sure your cruise itinerary will be changed as a result of the devastation.

Ok thank you. We've been told the itinerary may change but still trying to do my research just in case. We've been all over the Caribbean but never to Tortola so we are saddened by all the devastation and that we may not make it there this trip.

We live in Florida and we're impacted by Hurricane Irma as well but I know the buildings and the storm conditions were much, much worse on these small islands. 😥

Sorry for your experience with Irma, that must have been a scary experience not knowing what to expect.

And although Tortola and Virgin Gorda and the other islands have been so devastated, we may be surprised with a little good news by Nov, that would be very uplifting for the people there. The financial industry is their main source of income followed by tourism,

and it will be great once the relief effort is in full swing and the infrastructure rebuilt and we can return and support the places we all love there.

Concerned about Maria this week and any other storms that may come after, this is a frightening situation for many homeless people in these islands...

Agreed. I would think it's in the cruise industries best interest to get these islands back up and running as soon as possible so hopefully they are making great contributions to these relief efforts. Until then I'll keep praying that I will be able to visit this beautiful little islands.

Regarding the baths do you know if this is doable with a toddler? I saw some places where you have to pull yourself up a rock with a rope.

Thank you

Jessie

Yes, there are spots where you have to wade through water and spots where it's semi-difficult to get up and down rocks. If there are two adults to pass the child back and forth it's probably doable. But I don't think it would be with one. There are spots where you need your hands to get yourself through.