Dubai to Abu Dhabi?

cruise.gal

We arrive via cruise ship in Dubai at noon and depart the next evening at 8pm. Is it doable and is it worthwhile to try to arrange transportation from Dubai to Abu Dhabi? What mode of transportation? Or, just stay in Dubai and enjoy and not miss the ship! :eek:

Thanks for any info.

cruise.gal

Is it doable and is it worthwhile to try to arrange transportation from Dubai to Abu Dhabi? What mode of transportation?
With 32 hours in Dubai, it is certainly possible. The drive to Abu Dhabi would take no more than a couple of hours, less if the going is good. There are plenty of car services which would take you there.

The bigger question is why you want to go to Abu Dhabi. Is there anything in particular that you want to see there? Dubai would have more than enough for an afternoon, an evening and then a full day.

While Dubai has a reasonable number of sites to visit, our most exciting visit was to the Sultan ? mosque in Abu Dhabi. Although it's only 2 years old, it was outstanding, nearly in the same catagory as the taj mahal.

With 32 hours in Dubai, it is certainly possible. The drive to Abu Dhabi would take no more than a couple of hours, less if the going is good. There are plenty of car services which would take you there.

The bigger question is why you want to go to Abu Dhabi. Is there anything in particular that you want to see there? Dubai would have more than enough for an afternoon, an evening and then a full day.

Thank you....will check into car services if we decide to go to Abu Dhabi. A neighbor said "oh, you must go to see the Mosque"! However, she was there ten days!

Maybe I'll just look for pics of the Mosque and be extremely happy that I'm in Dubai and no chance of missing the ship! :eek:

Appreciate your reply. :)

cruise.gal

While Dubai has a reasonable number of sites to visit, our most exciting visit was to the Sultan ? mosque in Abu Dhabi. Although it's only 2 years old, it was outstanding, nearly in the same catagory as the taj mahal.

Amazing! Thanks for the info! Had not heard about the Mosque in Abu Dhabi until a few days ago. Will definitely check into it!

Info much appreciated! :)

cruise.gal Lu

Personally I prefer Abu Dhabi over Dubai as to me there is much more to the city in terms of culture.

I too think that the Mosque is in the same category as the Taj Mahal. I have never seen anything like it and we have visited quite a few mosques.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S5jRYwt2NwI/AAAAAAAAFFg/O5pPIHkCmUM/s1600/P1020542.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S5jTxXfhpSI/AAAAAAAAFHo/TyUM0rOvVDo/s1600/P1020544.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S5jS4dq5WLI/AAAAAAAAFHA/xp8LELI16Z8/s1600/P1020589.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S5jS3RPt2vI/AAAAAAAAFG4/7hY01ZN49Ug/s1600/P1020594.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S5jSpy49U3I/AAAAAAAAFGw/WB4FtFvmJfw/s1600/P1020596.jpg

See if your Travel Agent can arrange transportation for you to get to and from Abu Dhabi and I would do this as a tour. Check out Trip Advisor as well.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me how far it is from the (RCCL) cruise port to DXB airport. I've booked air and I can't find if this the correct airport for travel to the Philly.
Which city are you intending to fly from? Your post title says "Qatar" but the body of your post says "DXB". Two different cities in two different countries, separated by a coupe of hundred miles.

• 2 weeks later...

The drive from Dubai to Abu Dhabi is VERY easy. Rental cars are cheap (about $40 for the day for a very nice SUV-European type). One big 4 lane freeway that is as straight as the I-10 in the USA desert. Worst part of driving yourself is getting out of Dubai.

There are also regularly scheduled buses between the cities. IF you are lucky, you MAY be able to see either a camel race or the camel auction which happens about 1/2 way between the two cities. Need to ask you hotel concierge for dates and times. You may have lucked out because those two things are very, very fascinating to me but there is definitely an "etiquette or protocol" to going to either one.

Enjoy the area. It is someplace not nearly as many see as someplace like Europe. Now that the wars are winding down, I will not be traveling as much to the Middle East as I have done. I will miss that a lot. I find the area simply fascinating-sooooo very, very different than the USA/Canada/Europe/Australia. And so very, very different even among countries adjacent to one another. Abu Dhabi is MUCH more conservative than Dubai. Bahrain is one wide open party, especially on the weekends when the US DOD and military contractors get weekends off from the "war zones".

Edited by greatam